Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Vodafone router out of the mix

Options
  • 30-12-2022 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I have Vodafone SIRO broadband, which came with the standard Vodafone Gigabox router. I recently bought a TP-Link Wifi6 router (primarily for the parental controls that it comes with) - with the Vodafone router still receiving the connection (fibre to a Siro termination box, and then CAT6 to Vodafone router) I connect from the LAN port on the Vodafone to the WAN port on the TP-Link, and connect my WiFi to the TP-Link - all is good, the TP-Link is picking up internet from the Vodafone router. However, I'm thinking of just cutting the Vodafone router out of the mix. I unplugged the Cat6 feed from the WAN port of the Vodafone router, and moved it over to the WAN port of the TP-Link - problem is that the TP-Link can't detect an internet connection now. I know I'm probably missing something basic here, I'd appreciate some guidance if you dont mind

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

Vodafone SIRO broadband is on VLAN10, so you need to set VLANID to 10 for the WAN port on the TP-Link and also use username: vodafone@vodafone.ie | password: broadband as credentials to configure the internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

Hi. Just looking to pick your brain. I have Vodafone FTTH and want to do the same, Get a router to replace the Vodafone one so I get better parental Controls among other things. Do I need to subscribe to TP link for parental controls or do they come as standard? I want to block certain devices at certain times of the day. My wife works from home so can't disrupt the Internet coming in. My house has network cables to 3 apple airport express that extend the WiFi however key devices like our computers and the TV are connected directly to the router. Maybe lots of useless info there but could I do similar with a TP link {something like this https://amzn.eu/d/fnRzqn8) and not use my vodafone router.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Depends on the TP-Link device. Some of the cheaper ones don't have built in controls, but the better ones do. You're looking to see does it come with "Homecare". With that, you can create profiles where adult content, social media, gambling etc is blocked - then you just drag the connected devices into this profile. Easy to set up. You can also do time controls per device like you mention, where specified devices are cut off when you specify. Not 100% sure about your apple extenders - (are you still connected to original network?) - but the TP-Link Homecare software does what you're asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

Yes the apple extenders are patched to the router so are on the network so if the router controls the access it should work. Thanks for the advise. I'll have a look at the TP routers and pick up a decent one. Hopefully I can connect it to the network 😂.

Just an add-on to this. I initially bought a one-piece TP-Link router, and I found that it didn't quite do the job in terms of coverage in my house, there were still patchy spots. And I live in a 4 bed semi-d mind you, nothing massive. I returned this, and got a 2 piece mesh system. Cost about €150, Absoloutley brilliant coverage, well worth the extra few quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gerryp2000

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing the same as you, buying a 2/3 piece mesh system (for a 4 bed semi ) which one did you go for & was it easy enough to set it up??

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Sorry to hijack this thread, but wondering can I do the same thing with Sky? I want to change their router as I want to get a VPN, anyone else done this.

Sorry, just seeing this now. I went for the TP-Link Deco X50 AX3000 mesh system, with 2 units. I'm in a 4 bed Semi-D. Its brilliant, fantastic coverage and simple as can be setup. I was worried I'd regret not getting the 3rd unit - but there's no need at all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

From what I can see online, username anything@skydsl and any password should work. You'll need the same VLAN ID 10 as other ISPs.

Advertisement