Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR - Not Turning On (Power Issue)

Options
  • 05-01-2023 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi,

Long story short - bought a PSVR 2 or 3 years ago. Played it for two months, worked perfectly, then packed it away in a cupboard never to see the light of day again. It is in great condition.

Fast forward to Christmas, I put it up online for sale and sold it. I didn't check to see if it worked as I no longer have a PS4 and it had not been touched in years. I told the buyer (who bought it as gift for his son) to check it that night and get back to me if it didn't work - he didn't check it. Fast forward to boxing day and I get a phone call to say it's not working and no power coming through (very nice fellow, very understanding about it) so I told him to come to my house with his PS4 and I'd test it out.

Anyway, he was right, it doesn't work. The processing unit does not appear to be powering up when it is plugged in. Either no power is coming through to the processing unit, or possibly the unit itself is damaged.

I have a couple of queries that I was hoping someone might be able to shed light on

• I'm quite sure it's a power issue but how would I confirm this? If I plug processing unit in, should it still power up even if no other cables connected?
    • has this happened to any of you before? how did you resolve it?
    • is this a known problem with PSVR?
    • Has anyone any ideas on how to identify the specific issue i.e. is there a test I can run that might isolate that the issue is the plug/power supply or processing unit itself? For example, could I use the power supply on another device to see if it worked? If so, that would suggest that the issue is the processing unit

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Post edited by F1ngers on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Moved to the VR forum, users here may have had something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Make sure you're not going through an extension lead for the processor unit. That can cause problems depending on the quality of the extension lead and your internal wiring (worked fine with this Monster extension I bought years ago for stupid money when I had no sense, but didn't work with el-cheapo one I got in Dealz). Also try a different cable/plug for the processor unit. The one from the PS4 is the same I think, could be a fuse in the plug. Finally, I've seen some people say they get a flickering red light when moving the power connector into the processor unit. May have become loose or full of gunk/dust/fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Thanks for the info, might try and get my hands on another power supply to see if that makes a difference. Was thinking of selling it to CEX if they paid a reasonable price. At the very least they may be able to tell me what the issue is and I could see whether it was feasible to fix it and sell it to them.

Am I right in thinking that when I plug the power supply into processing unit, I should hear the unit boot up (or possibly see a light). I assume I don't need to have all the other connections (HDMI, VR Headset, etc.) plugged into the processing unit for it to "turn on".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sorry for the late reply, had to dig mine out. I just plugged in the processor unit and a red light started blinking. Now, I moved the connector around and the red light was going on/off so it's definitely not the tightest connection. But a red light straight away, and I could hear some slight mechanical sounds from it.

And I only plugged in the processor, didn't have anything else connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Thanks, good to know I don't need to have all the cables in.

I've tried mine a few times now and no lights coming on (although I do feel like I hear a slight mechanical noise inside - but hard to tell).

I took it down to CEX under the pre-text of selling it and they tested it and offered by 70e for it. THey said there were no issues. So I'm at a bit of a loss now as to what the issue is. I'll get the loan of a PS4 from my brother and get a proper run at testing it

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement