Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coffee Maker - non machine

Options
  • 17-12-2022 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all

Trying to buy a Christmas gift for my brother and I am rubbish when it comes to this area so would hugely appreciate your helo.

He grins his own (nice beans I gather!) and just uses a plunger. I was looking to get him one of the silver pots you put on the stove/gas ob etc. but it seems that's only for espresso. Is that correct or can it be used for a regular cup of coffee? If not, do you have any suggestions for something a little nice to give him a lovely cuppa?

He doesn't have room for a big machine so wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks so much!

Equanimity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Equanimity

Sorry, he doesn't 'grin' rather he 'grinds'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

People get very particular about their coffee so I'm not sure your looking at a product that will ever get used other than another French Press.

It seems a bit of a gimmick but the AeroPress is well regarded and might be something he uses as it produces decent coffee and doesn't take up much space.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rustyfrog

I think you're better off getting him some nice beans. Or a voucher for a local coffee place that sells beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Espresso is a base of any coffee. If you add water to it, you have americano, if you add differently frothed milk, you will have latte or cappuccino. So the silver one can make all kinds of coffees you would like, it only depends, what you will do later with that base. But I would recommend AeroPress. It is easier to use, coffee is tastier because brewed in a proper temperature (silver one uses steam, so it's too high).

But again my mum loved the taste of coffee from the French press, so she wouldn't be happy with your gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

So you've a couple of recommendations for an Aeropress there, which I do love and use one myself about 30% of the time.

My other coffee maker that I use the majority of the time is a Clever Dripper, I think it makes amazing coffee!

I find the moka pot fiddly and a bit of work to get right, so much so that I do own one but it sits unused at the back of a press, the Clever Dripper and Aeropress are almost foolproof (I'm the proof of that)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a lot of coffee afficionados i know swear by the v60, but that's not exactly expensive.

you say he uses a plunger - do you mean he already has an aeropress?

i usually use an aeropress; i have that and a mokka pot, but the main reason the aeropress is used for 90% of my coffee making is that it's much less of a faff to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

As someone who gets gift relating to hobbies and interest, the best thing to get him is a voucher.

If you know what beans he normally gets get a voucher for there or checkonline for some roasters and get him a voucher to order beans.

chances are he has what he needs already or will be eyeing up something in particular.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Aeropress or V60 (nice glass set). Haven't used clever dripper but similar to v60.

If you're looking to spend a bit more, a flair espresso. The neo is 125ish and a good entry into the murky world of espresso. A rok espresso is a bit more and the other Flair models.

They take up no space. I've a flair pro 2 and pack it up so it's not taking up room

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Are there threads here that discuss the Neo and the V60?

Only discovered the manual press a few days ago and it looks like a great gadget to learn, especially the Italian designed ones that go for over 600 euro.

My pod machine has died and I’m delighted as never want to use the muck again - so I’m on the hunt for a decent espresso machine but also looking at single cup solutions like the V60

Not so much on here. There's a Reddit forum dedicated to the flair.

Plenty able to offer advise on v60 though in general thread. Many will simply refer to James Hoffman's method.

I've a rok and flair pro 2. Flair pro 2 is great once you dialled in to your liking. The ROK isn't as good, but less of a faff and capable of producing some rather good espresso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Much obliged to you for the reply. I’ll do some googling so and educate myself for a while and also the Iames Hoffman method you mention.

Just looked up the flair pro 2 - wow nice bit of kit- me thinks I have some saving to do - my current thinking is buy a decent coffee grinder first to ensure great freshly ground coffee as I’m never going to buy a bean to cup machine anyway - I reckon you’re the person to ask for recommendations on a good coffee grinder given the kit you’re using?

There's more knowledgeable people than me , my set up is the flair pro to and jx pro hand grinder. This seems to be the most common among flair user.

@magicbastarder in fact gave me my v60 as a gift a little over 2 years ago, and it's most definitely my most used coffee maker. Moke Pot, French Press and Aeropress all sit being unused.

Advertisement