Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barred Number

Options
  • 03-01-2023 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I have an old Nokia C1-01 that is working fine but it has barred my wife's number, she can't send a text or call me & neither can I contact her. I've tried deleting her contact number & re entering her number but with no success.

I did an on line chat with Nokia this morning & they weren't able to help.

The phone is so basic I can't see how it happened unless Eir have somehow done it.

Grateful for any help guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try and go to the contact list, find her name/number in there (if it's no longer there, add it), then check the properties/additional settings to see if you can whitelist it from there. Sometimes these are within the specific contact, other times they're within the full contact list.

Alternatively, try to go to the call settings and see if there's anything there.

Finally, try and see if moving the SIM to another phone will work - sometimes the numbers are blocked at "SIM-level", instead of "phone-level", and this would either prove it or disprove it. If it's SIM-related, you may have to look at the SIM settings.

There are manuals on the web, they might help. e.g. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/112260/Nokia-C1-01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can anyone contact her?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭pauly58

I tried to text my son & number barred again, so it wasn't just my wife's number, it won't call any number. We tried putting my sim in another phone & it was just the same, so I guess it is a sim problem.

Many thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you haven't topped up in a while your network may have disabled outbound calls/texts. Either way best to call them and ask them to check your account. Simply swapping the sim would not fix it if the issue is at account level.

I can promise you that sim has been deactivated if it came from the phone in question. If you don’t top up or use a phone number for 6 months or more they begin deactivation and recycling.

If the number has been in use recently (within 6m) a sim swap may be necessary as the SIM card may be faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭pauly58

I thought perhaps I had left too long an interval between top ups so I put some credit on it yesterday morning but didn't receive the usual text immediately that the top up was successful, so this led me to thinking that maybe the sim was faulty. I tried to call someone this evening as a last try & it was fine now, also my wife could call me, so all is well it seems.

What happened there I don't know, I'm on some very old plan where I just top up as I need it, some times I might go for a few months before adding any credit, but it suits my needs.

Thanks for replies gents, much appreciated.

Ah if you’re with Eir, that may be why. I’ve heard while in the stores and elsewhere folks complaining about similar things and it was apparently due to being on a “legacy plan”. An upgrade to a newer one resolves the problem magically.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TechnologyGSM

2G bandsGSM 900 / 1800 GSM 850 / 1900GPRSClass 10EDGENo

Its as 2G phone! 2G is being dismantled. Throw it in the electrical recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Vodafone are sunsetting 3G but have no intentions of retiring 2G anytime soon.

Many devices such as alarms will depend on 2G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I don’t think Eir have any facility to bar incoming calls from specific numbers, or at least none they advertise as a service anyway.

Sounds like something’s not configured correctly on your phone or your account. Was the number recently ported to Eir from somewhere else? If so you need to ask Eir to check the port was actually completed correctly. It doesn’t happen very often, but once in a while one of there can be an error on the routing database.

If you’ve added her to a block list on the phone, it would most likely ring once and dump the call to voicemail a busy tone when it recognises her caller ID. If she blocks her outbound caller ID - prefix your phone number with #31# and call it from the phone, if that goes though then you’ve blocked something on your handset. You might need to google the instruction book for that old phone.

If your outbound calls are barred, the network will play an announcement telling you that. It will literally say “You are barred from making outbound calls! Please contact …” or “You are not allowed to make calls to this number…” etc If you’re getting that there’s something up with your account with Eir.

It’s also possible the SIM isn’t configured properly, in which case just ask Eir for a new SIM (SIM Swap) It’s fairly straight forward to activate it yourself with them over the phone. You will need another phone to ring them from though. They can either post you one or you can pick one up in one of their shops.

If it’s something to do with a legacy calling plan, you’re far better off on one of their current prepay plans anyway - they’re way cheaper. It’s possible the old plan is just ended and the network has no idea what to do with your account until it’s put on a modern plan. If you haven’t used the account in a long time, you might have missed a message telling you to switch or something.

• Advertisement

OP mentions Eir though.

We'll want to refarm 2G eventually once CAT-M/whatever is ready to sunset it. TBH there are some fleet users that are probably big accounts but I can't see the profit keeping it alive being too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

As far as I know, the smart meters are all 2G. As are the RTPI displays at bus stops around the country, Can't see 2G going anywhere anytime soon.

Simple 2G GSM is likely to remain on air for a long time yet - it has some uses and it's also relatively easy to support by just virtualising it and keeping a small range of frequencies available for it. It won't be running as a separate network or anything like that. It's just a different radio protocol.

3G has a rapidly dwindling user base. There isn't really much purpose for it anymore. It was used as the fallback for making voice calls. The 3G network had a switching system for voice that was the same as the old landline networks - i.e. digital circuit switching. So, it was still providing voice connectivity even when 4G went on air.

3G for data makes no sense anymore and in terms of coverage having the 3G and some of the 2G frequencies available for 4G/5G makes a huge difference.

VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is a VoIP based protocol that is replacing circuit switched voice entirely. It's clearer, connects instantly and requires a much simpler network and just uses the same connections as data and supports WiFi calling. So from a mobile network's point of view it makes no sense to keep 3G. It's just an obsolete, slow data service wasting bandwidth. The more modern stuff is built around an IMS (IP Multimedia System) core, which is basically just saying voice and similar services are turned into an application on an IP network and run off generic servers instead of special telephone exchange equipment.

3 was a bit behind the times compared to Eir and Vodafone on this transition. They've taken ages to rollout an IMS solution and that's why they didn't have VoLTE and WiFi calling and are relying on 3G for voice.

Most networks are retiring 3G fairly soon and reusing the frequencies for modern 4G/5G services. Also the old 2G frequencies can share with 4G/5G using modern radio access network equipment. It's not that big a deal anymore. The whole thing comes off the same transmitters, it's just all software defined.

Also btw on the landline side of things, the circuit switching technology's being removed at the moment. So by the end of this year, the older digital tech used in the fixed line network will also have disappeared. You won't notice any difference, but behind the scenes everything's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

@RetroEncabulator Will they be able to throw 2G on contemporary RRUs? If so that makes it a lot less cost to keep live.

The new stuff can support multiple protocols from the same site and it’s all software defined. So they can spin up various different protocols and bands without needing to get physically involved.

There are products from all of the main vendors being used here - so as sites are modernised for 5G things get a lot easier.

The general aim is to make things simpler and easier to operate and maintain. Even though the speeds and protocols are way more advanced the hardware is getting a lot slicker and easier to deal with and also a lot more energy efficient.

Advertisement