Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyness A48100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I think you are right just seems like an rs232 wifi adapter that just works with their app/send data to their cloud.

I actually have windows software they sent me that can do the same but I never got around to making the COM cable and test it.

Here's what they sent me if you want to play around with it.

Let me know if you get it to work, could be handy for investigations 😀

Or hooking this up to an rs232 wifi adapter and then bring the data into Home Assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭AntonP

What seems to me is that is a lower level way to build the cable and software to connect from windows for monitoring, but not to update firmware.

I bet you the Wifi dongle just bridges all that and with the Dyness mobile App you can just do all.

I've asked them if that dongle can be bought. I have 2 of the 48100s and they don't talk to each other, one of the support reps from Dyness told me that, need to get the firmware upgraded to get them to talk and be able to use 100A, at the moment is 50A.

(all lights blinking)

(trying to get the installer to help me doing this but learning myself at the same time)

I got my issue fixed. Seems there is a batch of A48100 (sourced in Ireland) with a firmware that is not letting them talk together proper.

Sharing details here, as this should help a lot of people with the A48100 if you are affected by this when having more than 1 battery.

You have to wait 20 seconds to a couple minites of starting my 2 batteries, the video attached a few posts ago shows the master battery with all LEDs blinking at the same time after reboot and that time lapse. Dyness support quoted it as "Internal communication problem"

After a few days and sourcing the Dyness Wifi module http://www.dyness.net/uploadfile/file/20220513/afa6eaa7edf22b52226412fd6101c79c.pdf

I couldn't upgrade any firmware... however, after contacting Dyness they uploaded something somewhere and the iOS app connected to the WIFI dongle and the battery was prompting to upgrade to the "1.07 Ireland" version.

You have to remove all the other communication cables from the batteries. Set the battery to update as master DIP 0010. Do all the batteries. Then, turn all off, setup the DIP on the master as 0010 and all the other batteries as slaves. Start as normal, everything will work as expected.

Finally working with 100A charge/discharge and no weird lights.

Forced charge to 100% to balance the batteries and you can see it was already charging at 100A (and also used for the first time the Solis 6Kw inverter fans!) :) See dongle to the right of the pic.

This is from the iOS app, if you search for "Dyness" you can install it but can't do nothing unless you have the wifi module.

the module lets you monitor the battery independently of the inverter and also apply firmware updated. perhaps just a one use device but did the trick for me.

Contact Dyness support if you in doubt. info@dyness-tech.com they were very helpful.

Might take a while to start to be contacted but after that they will move fast.

For this question about this A48100 battery, to setup on the Solis Menu:

The recommendation from Dyness support was:

"As far as I know, this does not need to be set. Only when the lead acid is used, I need to set it. "

So, defaults are good.

Also attached the doc:

Very happy with Dyness support.

You might have no issue with your battery but you’d know what to look for if you get one and that support will resolve. So far very happy with them.

Hope it helps!

Can you get any live readings/stats from the batteries using the wifi dongle?

I'd be interested in that.

On the app itself yes.

• Advertisement

Can you PM me the details of where you sourced one of these dongles?

I assume you can use the dongle alongside the inverter it's not just one or the other right? Does it plug into one of the free ports on the battery?

You can use both at the same time.

The battery has 3 ports. IN/OUT used by inverter or to comm to other batteries.

The other port called COM is a 6 pin one, that's the one to plug the dongle into.

Will send you PM , but it was expensive as ****

Note that, if you have to upgrade your firmware, it won't come up on its own, I had to engage with Dyness support and send screenshots of what the app was telling me as ID in order for them to make the update available for me to apply...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

@AntonP can you please PM me the details too? Does the WiFi module come with the cable or did you have to crimp a custom one yourself?

Cable is included, says it in the manual

will pm you details

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

@AntonP Would you mind sending me the details of where you got the module too? I have exactly the same issue as you had. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Will do share now.

Contact Dyness support. You will also need their help for them to make the firmware available to you. Seems is not universal and doesn't appear.

I might be wrong, would be good to know here once you get it sorted.

@AntonP Just looking back through this and I noticed that your + and - battery cables are connected to the same battery which is technically not correct, it will work fine probably with just two batteries but I believe the right way is to connect the main negative to the slave and leave the main positive on the master.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's just good practice in a large array. Short (pardon the pun) of using two large busbars, you should always have the positive and the negative main connections at opposite ends of the array

I just have the 2 batteries. I see what you say.

Guys, would it matter or is just good practise? I wouldn't want to ring the installer for something that wouldn't really matter.

See 2nd image:

Seems that is also good, right?

Also... seems it doesn't really matter, just etiquette? Found other one.

My main issue here lately is the overnight discharge below SOC when there's no solar coming in. I am testing different % thresholds with the Solis to see if I can figure out the right combo.

Based on the documents shared here officialy from Dyness, can you see they recommend just 5% of SOC and 5% of force charge?

However the Solis goes to 20% and 15% as default. Some recommend other values, seems all so different. If I had to go with smtg I'd go with the battery manufacturer. At the moment testing 12%, 11% and backup ON to 11% (not allowing backup charge) to see if I can remove the glitch of 62w constant draw overnight when the battery under SOC.

I have the Solis S5-EH1P-6K-L and the 2x Dyness A48100

I had my threshold in 18% and force charge 15%

Overnight it does suck up constant 62w from the batteries if 18% or under, when it shouldn't.

This has to be some firmware thing, it shouldn't be doing that. Managed this morning to get it to jump to 18 and it did stop, this is bothering me :(

Every night is the same thing. The point is the base load is 75-120W based on how the fridge is doing.

The manual does say to connect it like that alright:

It makes a difference when you have multiple batteries as the SOCs won't be consistent even your man Will Prowse demonstrated it but with just two batteries who knows. Installer should have wired it as per manual anyway.

You should NOT disable grid charging or you risk letting the batteries go down to 0 and damage them.

Dyness advised to not go below 15% but you can go to 10% SOC

The grid charging seems it has its own setting for Backup mode, so you can set that separately only for backup.

You say:

"Dyness advised to not go below 15% but you can go to 10% SOC"

however, if you see the document from where you get the image, their settings say 5% and 5% with a DOD of 95% allowed for these units.

Confusing the least.

Agreeing with you it should be wired as per manual. Installers. :(

Would it be safe to remove the black cable from the Master battery and plug to the slave battery? How would you suggest to do that? Turning off batteries and/or disabling battery in the inverter itself? Would that be safe?

Feck sake, is this what you are talking about?

Could I fix this myself lads?

Is this what I would have to do? move the positive that goes to the master and plug it in the slave?

Thanks Dracula for pointing this out!!!

same guy that left the 2nd battery with the firmware issue did the cabling that way.

For what I read around, it does matter the connections unless y are using other types of batteries without BMS etc

Turned all off. Unswitched the safe and changed cables. Let’s monitor tonight the power leakage . Left SOC 15% and force charge 14%. Backup ON at 16% (not allowing charge for Backup). Hopefully this will be the end of it and never go up to the attic !!!

Post edited by AntonP on

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

@AntonP i had my batteries firmware updated today .. my installer contacted me last Friday saying he received a unit and did a test and it was solid. Took him 10 mins today in and out. All working now correctly… thanks for the Info. Might a get a wifi module anyway for future.

• Advertisement

Great! Happy it helped!

trying to get the night power leak sorted and I can then rest it all out :)

It won't make a difference if the reason you're getting the battery to charge is because of SOC drift aka the batteries didn't charge in a few days.

I was getting that all of last winter when I wasn't charging them at night due to little to no charge from solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eyeou

AntonP If i can ask where did you buy it the WIFI dongle please.

Send me a pm . Not sure we can post that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

It's just installers names can't be posted, if it's a shop or wholesaler I think it's ok.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Ring failte solar and ask them for the device. Almost 100€ delivered btw. I had to do it because my installer didn’t know about that and would’ve taken an eternity.

To update firmware you need also to contact Dyness as, at least, for me the firmware option wasn’t popping up until someone from their support activated something.

https://www.failtesolar.com/

Post edited by AntonP on

@eyeou I have a one of these WIFI dongles only got it a few days ago, paid €80 for it but my batteries are not compatible so I have no use for it.

You can have it for the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stakoz

Hi SD_Dracula, if your dongle (WIF-M01 Dyness) is still available / for sale I am interested. I have just PM-ed you. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does anyone know if the A48100 is 15S2P or 16S2p? I'm finding conflicting reports online.

Advertisement