Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless Apple CarPlay & Android Auto for a 2013 Toyota Yaris

Options
  • 29-12-2022 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm buying a 1.0 litre 2013 Toyota Yaris as a 2nd family car primarily for my 17 and 20 year old "kids" to drive as one has their license and the other is getting lessons. I want to keep the cost down but would like to install an aftermarket head unit which has wireless capability for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as I know we'll get a lot of use out of that functionality primarily for Navigation and just playing music and podcasts etc.

Two questions I'm looking for advice on:-

1. Which unit should I get bearing in mind the use case is pragmatism rather than high end sound. (I'm sure the Yaris speakers will be entry level and that's fine, I've no intention to upgrade them.)
    2. Where should I purchase from that will also fit it assuming this dash will actually take an aftermarket unit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Don't know why I can't "edit" the above post but I omitted to say I'm based in South County Dublin so anywhere in the Sandyford / Stillorgan / Surrounding area wouldmbe ideal.

I guess my OP is a bit trickier to answer than I expected.

I did some more research and it looks like this ATOTO A6 PF 7inch Double-DIN which will be circa €300 landed from Amazon ticks the boxes for my wireless AirPlay / Android Auto requirement.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Bluetooth dongle .. Bluetooth to FM any use ? Something like this .. and cheap ... for audio ... sound isn't bad ... if the car does not have Bluetooth and ..use the phone itself for navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

there is a dash mounted head unit that would be much easier to install but give you the same functionality as a replacement unit.

Thanks @SuperBowserWorld I tried a solution like that years ago and whilst it worked OK there are times when the FM signal clashes with some local radio station and then it doesn't work so well.

My mind is set on installing wireless AirPlay and Android Auto as everyone in the family will use it and I think it'll make the car far more comfortable to use for everyone.

• Advertisement

Thanks @db can you link to an example or reference the make / model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

just search for dash mounted Android auto on Amazon. I don't want to recommend any in particular as I haven't used one . they look very easy to install and can be moved to another car in future.

Thanks DB, found a few which look like they'd be a good option particularly if you were changing cars a lot as you don't have to remove the original radio unit and can just unplug and bring the dash mounted system with you.

I think I'd still prefer an integrated option as the dash units are a bit of a fiddle (need power from the 12V socket and an Aux input or Bluetooth to use the car speakers) plus we'll be keeping the car for a few years.

Just reverting here to say I ended up buying this dash mounted Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto unit for circa £240 including import taxes and shipping etc and have to say it's very impressive.

I ended up screwing it to the top of the dashboard as the Yaris has a shaped and textured dash which the 3M tape wouldn't adhere to and in order to get Bluetooth sound via the car stereo working I had to do a firmware upgrade (they'll email you the file if you contact them via their Facebook page) which was a bit fiddly as my Win 10 and Win 11 machines wouldn't recognise the SD card reader for some reason (possibly my own settings or similar) but once that was sorted it was smooth sailing.

Both Apple and Android phones connect to the device wirelessly and you can play music, podcasts and audiobooks via your usual apps but on the device screen rather than via your phone and of course navigation is as you'd expect on the screen either via Google Maps or Waze etc.

The unit also has a HD forward looking dashcam built in with loop recording to the supplied 64GB SD card (it records 3 minute videos continuously when the device is powered up and writes over the oldest when the SD card fills up)

Serious functionality upgrade for relatively little money and no messing around pulling the existing head unit out of the dashboard.

The existing car stereo is now essentially limited to being a rear view reversing camera (although one comes with device which you can install separately if you wish) and the only device it is connected to via Bluetooth is the dash mounted head unit.

The only thing I'm wasn't mad about was the power cable as it comes with a big old 12v USB C charger so I got a 12V USB 3.0 charger with 3 slots including 2 USB C to USB C PD slots and now just have a USB C to USB C cable powering the unit with the other 2 slots spare for charging phones etc.

All in all I'm very happy with the device and would recommend it as a tidy upgrade for an older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Found your thread searching for CarPlay. I’m looking for a CarPlay radio app. One that shows in settings on the iPhone so can be added to the CarPlay menu in the car.

i was essentially in the same boat OP. Have the same bog standard stereo in the daughters car.

I went with this one from AliExpress. Pleased so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement