Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Jobs are WFH and what are 4 days?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why would any multinational (many who have offices already in low cost economies already) have set up here or expanded here since they came here if it was just down to wages?

Many of these companies have roles that really can and are done from anywhere however it is not just down to salaries that the companies retain these jobs in Ireland.

Large multinationals have always had the option to assign roles to anywhere in the world. You really think it took Covid to show them that certain roles can be done from anywhere in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Outsourcing is not anywhere as cost saving anymore as people think, or as it was some 10 years ago. Year on year salary inflation in India has been very high for several years, especially in the skilled IT area. People have trebled, and even quadrupled, their salaries within 6/7 year without needing to move up the ladder. I have several Indian staff on my team and they all earn very decent money, even by Irish Standards. The advantage you have in India are more along the fact that there is a bigger talent pool to choose from (due to size of the population) and their general willingness to work long hours when required.

Interestingly WFH is a big draw in India now as well, as people prefer to move back to their home towns for family as well as financial reasons, rather then living in those comparatively expensive tech centres of Bangalore, Mumbai or Pune.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've worked in a number of places that had Indian offices as part of the global organisation and I've seen a number of cases where changes in management cause these drastic changes in policy. As dotmans states, when management just focuses on short term financial gain, offshoring to India or elsewhere becomes popular but almost inevitably, when cost is the primary driver, quality drops so substantially that the repeated scenario I've been in personally is to "salvage" the work.

And I know there is an idea of massive candidate pools with these offshore teams but I've personally been interviewing candidates there for over 6 years and the amount of "engineers" who can drop all the buzz words but can't actually deliver is astounding.

• Yeah you’d never teach those dumb Indian people to do it. Being so dumb. The big dumbs.

the sad reality that some seem unable to comprehend is that indeed if a job can be done remotely & it is cheaper to source the workforce outside of Ireland companies will. Exactly like they have done for years in some industries. Vodafone and similar do it already for their call centre support staff. I think the OP phrased their post poorly. WFH should really be “remote work”.

Edit not relevant

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Yeah same in Vietnam. Software engineers making more than doctors taking home 2-3k a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thats one major reason.

A few more.

English Language

Member of the EU

Availability of labour

The point is, these companies could have set up anywhere in the world and had staff anywhere in the world (and many of these companies do)

Indeed many of these companies hage had WFH prior to Covid.

I don't really see how a more prevalent WFH culture is going to see them suddenly decide to off-shore more jobs than they were already.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Usually, when companies move abroad they hire more staff, not less. It's still cheaper to them.

Not all jobs can be outsourced easily, entry-level language based jobs used to be relocated to Eastern Europe and Portugal, now they are coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Given the social and intergration skills of the majority of the outsourced employees, I really cant see Ireland suffering in any major way with competitiveness for skilled work. Not in my lifetime anyway. ChatGpt will take a hold before outsourcing does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you have someone in a decision making position or that can enter agreements on behalf of the company then they would need to be based in Ireland less they create a taxable presence in another jurisdiction.

Look at the definition of permanent establishment in any of our double taxation agreements (all on revenue.ie).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Kurooi

When you move jobs offshore for cheap, you get what you pay for, and you pay in ways you cannot even imagine.

It starts lovely, they put their best staff on it, you bet they all speak Queen's English and know your company and process inside out. Those are not the people who will support you in 1 year time though, they are the bait. 1 year on you will be staffed exclusively by interns making 2 cent an hour, and they REALLY don't care about success of failure of your company. Don't worry there are very smart people in India and all that. They just won't be the ones looking after you. They are in demand. They have better things to do than playing your budget lackey. You will get the clowns.

Been part of a company that loved their outsourcing. Moved IT support from having 2 guys in the basement keeping hundreds of us happy and well run to an entire squadron in India. Few were on our payroll 'managing' the process and then they had contractors to pull at. We went from dude Tom coming up and fixing everything to 12 Rajeshes flipping tickets around for a month until you gave up. Tom ensured things ran and we didn't even know how. India had us file and report issues 10 times a day and explain to them how to fix it too. It was a massive drain on non-IT resources. Needless to say all innovation died with that too, any projects that required IT were doomed from the start. Internal employees stopped bothering with that because all they got was pushback.

The shitshow of support I had there was about 70% of the reason I quit. I work with a lot of companies now as part of my job, discovered this is a reoccuring theme in many. Your regular business employees, management, operations come back saying something can't be achieved because India or Romania or Bangladesh whatever said it's not part of their job not part of their contract. Their staff spend 30-60% of their hours doing things that were supposed to be done offshore. Companies that allow these sort of relationships - they're dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,699 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was involved in one similar outsourcing scenario where people just gave up logging support tickets and either accepted the reduced productivity that came with things not working properly, or got internal support from colleagues, taking time away from productive work for those colleagues (who's job wasn't to provide support of course).

The outsourcing team claimed the reduced number of support tickets as a project success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say this is common. Our IT is based in UK and you would only contact them as a last resort and only by phone. We gave up logging tickets a year or 2 ago as it could be weeks before there was a response.

In a previous job (a US MNC) when they outsourced the IT to India there was nearly a revolt as everything stopped working. Clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

To answer the actual OP question, jobs that suit WFH or 4-day week are those in which either employees can be trusted not to take the p*ss, or in which productivity can be accurately measured and compared between different people.

That too yes same exact chain of events. And the brain drain as result was real. Anybody who had even an ounce of will and innovation was shot down, we'd have bright new (and expensive) minds come in and quit within months, citing resistance to change. The readiness and willingness of our offshore staff (many were on our payroll) and contractors to say "I don't know how to do it so we won't" or "We don't have enough resources" or "my contract doesn't state this work" was shocking. It kills all conversation. And it cannot be understated how much damage this evasive, non productive behaviour does.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

This by 1000! Really great description of the realities of outsourcing.

The constant churn of people at the remote end, the necessity for everything to be done by 'process' because they can't be trusted to apply a bit of common sense to a request, the endless wait for simple things to be done, it is all such a mental drain. You realise that you are working for an organisation that couldn't care less about your welfare. One nasty side-effect is that it turns you into a bit of a racist. God, I hate outsourcing with such a passion.

It may come off as racist sometimes, but it's not race I find. Outsourcing jobs inevitably outsources responsibility. People just don't care , they are cushioned from any consequences by the distance, reporting lines, visibility. Even if you keep the jobs on your payroll, inevitably you end up putting someone in charge of India, and then the IT guy supposed to help you is 5 managers up detached from you.

And then there is the absurdly simple reality, if the offshore guys create equivalent value to someone in Ireland , UK or US, they do just that and demand the salary to match. There are well off , successful people in India, or they emigrate out and work on site. But the smart ones aren't working for poverty wage. That assumption in itself is racist. Successful companies have either snatched that talent up or trained them to begin with. You don't get those people, you're coming in with the expectation of cost cutting, budget alternatives, quick and easy solution. You get the budget equivalents. The quick and easy 'talent'. The very least employable people imaginable, their only saving grace is willing to work for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds like skills in managing outsourcing contracts should be in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

While they are absolutely dreadful, the problem is not with the contracts. The problem is with the decision and decision-makers in the first place. Inevitable, it is always people who don't have a clue about what they are doing who make the decision on what to outsource and how to do it. And they always make the decision that best suits their short-term career needs. There is a reason why consultants target certain people in an org.

The problem with the contracts is that the same clueless people double-down when it comes to the contracts. As a result, the contracts promote the building of barriers/silos, blame-game culture, focus on BS metrics as opposed to "doing the obvious and right thing", layers of bureaucracy, CYA mentality and, of course, completely inflexibility in a world of rapid change.

Thus, there is nothing to "manage". Trying to manage it is akin to polishing a turd. But, by improving a few small things and setting the bar/expectations really low, a manager can claim success on this area.

Organisations that outsource their operations are not the competent kind. Their focus is cost management they will sign the contract with the lowest price on paper. Some fool will read it and weep 3 years on when it comes to renewal time.

By then the company got rid of the people doing the original jobs, the management, the project teams moved on. They are not in position to competently negotiate the contract because they no longer understand the process that needs to be done. Attempt to bring the activity back inhouse would be a chaotic and thankless task.

Contractors see through this, they know how difficult the transition is and how incompetent and short focused the management is. They can smile and nod and do whatever they want. They work for highly capable agile companies and they are bred to take advantage of stupid outdated structures.They are not strangers to this negotiation you're attempting, they deal with it 3 times a day and win every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭hello2020

while some of whats highlighted here may be true but the reality is that whole IT and Call center departments have been outsourced to India by large MNCs from Telecom, Banking, Oil & Gas sectors.. Indian IT companies have huge campuses with dedicated buildings to server single clients like banks with hundreds of software engineers working for just one client ! Some of these campuses in Bangalore have 10 thousand plus software engineers working in 24 hour shifts ...Outsourcing is a big success for the companies who has done it correctly !

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

We do similar and in multiple roles - IT, HR, Finance, Procurement etc. It requires effective management & total recognition that you're not just moving a role - everything needs to be rethought to ensure the work continues to get done with the right quality, but bottom line is it works. We have excellent people, and in increasingly more senior positions throughout the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The trend lately seems that if anyone wants to WFH for whatever reason, then that job can be outsourced because they aren't in an office...I can't follow that logic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What exactly has someone working from home got to do with outsourcing?

It's really nonsense to say companies can just offshore because they moved to work from home.

So how much will it cost to pay off all the Irish workforce if it is a big company?

How will it affect clients who have years of relationships, will they be happy to lose all the knowledge with IT partners and start from scratch with new people.

How many projects will fail due to the staff turnover.

Have you tried to ring a call centre these days where its impossible at times to communicate clearly, now imagine these are multi million dollar project calls.

So when massive clients leave due to all the issues, how much money will be saved?

If companies wanted to outsource people they could have done so already.

With most multinationals, teams consist of people working in different time zones where you are using zoom or teams to communicate.

Will my job be outsourced because I am working from home and can't call over to chat with the one person in ireland I work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is generally people who are pro work in the office that come out with the ridiculous ideas.

Usually micro managers who need to see people to manage them.

The event organiser, team loudmouth, managers pet etc who rely on being in office to try advance.

Working remotely removes this edge and let's them be judged more on actual work.

So they try to force into the office for personal selfish reasons.

While people who are pro work from home couldn't care less what anyone does.

That is close to my experience also.

At least from anecdotally seeing it here on Boards, a lot of people like to cook up the idea that if you are EFH then your the first to get the bullet because it can be outsourced, which is complete garbage.

Painting it in a black and white way like that skips over so many narratives that goes along with the people who are WFH and are also pro-WFH (like me). Sure, some jobs/roles can be outsourced, in the same way that some can not be.

Most of the anti-WFH brigade seem to be bitter overall, and I am sure it is because of a myriad of reasons from their actual role might be the one outsourced, to not having that in-person control over people, or the simple desire to be seen to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Shocking how people are living in denial about the possibility of their nice WFH job getting outsourced to Pajeet in India. The Indian works far harder for far less than you do. Look around the areas in Dublin where the IT Companies are, it is all Indians you see on the streets. Why would these people leave their family and country behind to live in a shithole like Dublin? Over time, they'll go back home. The younger generations in India will want to stay there. Therefore the job will go to them rather them going to the job now that everyone is WFH anyway. Offices in the West are empty, there's no one in them. There's no reason for a company to keep a footprint in the West.

Indian people value education as a means of avoiding poverty and are increasingly exposed to Western influence. It's just a matter of time until they speak better accent free English than any of us.

Every major company you can think of has a presence in India whether you know it or not. If it is so terrible why would that be?

People are using Indians and outsourceing as a means to blame crap project managerment. Crap onboarding, crap resourcing, crap systems, impossible deadlines coming from the higher ups. Yeah, its all the Indian lad's fault.

Calling Dublin a "shithole" when you are talking about slums in India. Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Yes. I do hope you know that the educated Indian people are not the ones living in slums. That's why they study and work 14 days to ensure that they are not.

Anybody who can't manage to deliver a project with the proper succession planning and documentation required by an offshore team shouldn't be involved in project management.

Even if that means standing up against the deadlines and wishes from the c suite.

• Advertisement

Right, but there is a massive wealth divide within India, so the poor are super poor compared to Dublin. That and Dublin has a functioning transport and road system, not like India where it is every man for himself at times.

Advertisement