Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Had the same thing before Christmas over the phone. We joined them September 3 but by mid November we had no bill despite me contacting them three times. They gave us a bill for Sep-Oct. Checked Dec 14th to see they had our microgen details only to be told yeah they had but it was a mess on Esb networks part. Couldn’t give us a bill for Nov- Dec but estimated incorrectly I challenged and they accepted the error. Still coukd get a bill as they had gone “out of cycle” with the first one. They then cancelled it despite having paid it. We now have a credit on the account, an estimate for Nov-Dec but no bill and likely to get a 6 month bill in February but no guarantee that they’ll have the ceg sorted.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Does anyone know how to convert the exported readings you can obtain from esbnetworks smart meter database https://myaccount.esbnetworks.ie/Api/Historic Consumption - which I think are in read out in kW into kwh unuts so I can estimate my exported amount and potential returns?

Also that database only shows me my exported amount and not what I have consumed, anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I see both. Am on a smart tariff, but not sure if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

I presume for the WFH relief you’d put in your bills without any FIT as that is taxed separately and would be unfair to have it reduce your expense but also get taxed at the same time.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah I have though about that myself but you are only claiming for the bills you paid and the FIT comes off the bill so is already taken into account, also with the €200 energy credit. They don't need to know the make up of the bill its just how much you paid out.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Any tips on where to start with how to calculate what smart plan might suit me (MIL)?

Solar just installed, so no idea of what will get exported vs used. No battery, but an eddi for hot water. Currently about 4000kWh used annually, and 3.8kWp array installed.

I suspect that'll generate ~3600kWh, of which they'll use 2/3 🙃 (what little winter excess will all go to heating water, but summer will have far too much generated for them to use). I'm working on the assumption of 1400 day grid units, 700 night grid units per annum.

Have all suppliers listed their FIT rates, or is that still smoke and mirrors?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Get a day/night meter.

Deemed export plus cheaper night units.

• Advertisement

How do you mean? Don't all smart meter plans do cheaper night rates, but with the benefit of paying you for any exported units.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭curioustony

Smart plans can work in some niche cases. You really need to know your numbers.

D/N plans are more competitive at the moment. Longer night rate, and in general cheaper. These are especially good if you have a battery or can heat lots of water.

The deemed export pays the same in winter or summer, snow or sunshine. If you have a high self use deemed export wins every time. If you have a very large array, and low self usage, the metered export will be better. You still need to balance that with your usage, and when you buy.

As to how long the D/N competitive advantage will remain is anybody's guess...

Stick you numbers into this price comparison application to get a better idea for you for now:

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A Day/Night mater has two tariffs. Day and Night. The night tariff is 9 hrs long. The cheapest current night rate is 13.75c including VAT. It's easy to shift heavy usage to night rate. Another benefit of this night rate is charging batteries during the winter months, and using them during the day. You can run your house on virtually all night rate if your setup allows.

A smart plan has 3 or 4 tariffs.

Day/Night/Peak or Day/Night/Peak/EV.

The EV tariff is three hrs duration 2-5am, and is useful for charging your EV and/or PV batteries as the rate is low. You don't have either.

The other three tariffs on a smart plan are very expensive. The night rate will be substantially more expensive than the cheapest night rate on a day/night meter.

The day rate will generally be more expensive.

The peak rate 5-7pm is, well, completely taking gouging to a new level.

Your stetegy seems to be to rely on FIT. What you get in payments may well be countered by the expensive tariffs you'll pay in comparison to the day/night. FIT couid be reduced anytime. It has happened in other countries. The minimum in 0c remember.

Plus, a day/night meter will bag you a deemed FIT payment (roughly €200 per year for your inverter) PLUS the 9 hour cheap rate. It's a no brainer, except in very rare circumstances.

My advice would be to really crunch the numbers.

Use the cheapest rates as your baseline. Otherwise you'll be coddling yourselves with savings.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

One of Electric Irelands smart rates doesn't have a peak rate so you won't be caught with an ridiculous peak rate.

Need to crunch the digits but unless you have an EV or a battery or a very big PV system the standard D/N might be a better option.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

It is for my mother in law, so switching stuff to night time will be rare I'd imagine, and existing night usage would be minimal.

From what I've seen, most 24hr rates are pretty similar to the smart tariff day rates, so switching to a smart rate at least gives cheaper night usage, and some credit from FIT. Just hard to see what the FIT rate is from each company. Certainly not listed with their plan rates. A 24hr rate loses in these comparisons I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

You are right to change from 24 hour meter... no fit payment if you dont. No one here will agree a smart meter is a good choice even for you. If you switch to day night meter you will get paid deemed fit. This means you can have your cake and eat it too... As the Eddi collects hot water, you are still paid for that as export even tho it doesn't go to grid.

Also... Without a battery I suspect you may struggle to consume a LOT of that sunshine you are hoping to hit high self usage on... Unless they really watch their habits and wash, cook, dry during sunny periods it will not be used.

If one third is night rate (your estimate) without even trying to load shift then i still think night meter is better.

Back to your original question... Is FIT smoke and mirrors still? It can be... I'm ei and not got a dime yet. Other providers may pay better, read this thread there is a list! Also make sure the nc6 form is received by ESB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Just logged into EI - and there is the new Gov. 200 euro credit - plus the 50 euro "gift back" from EI from profits.. but still no FIT payment. Im not going to sweat it - but i will be moving to a provider with a good rate and a good record of paying = ideally monthly. Anyone else see FIT payment yet (if you were still waiting like me?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Just logged in there and 336 in credit. I'm expecting my ceg payment on the next bill which is due Sunday. Between the ceg and credits I doubt I'll have to pay a bill until November.

☀️

They'll do what they can during sunshine hours to best use it, but for now a battery isn't specd.

What is this "deemed FIT" I keep hearing? A smart meter day/night plan that pays excess solar out at FIT rates? Any example of that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Deemed FIT is a calculation based on inverter size on the NC6. I can dig it up, it's on the FIT document from the Cru.

Given to people still on a non smart meter.

If on a 24 hrs meter, your prioritised for a smart meter. Refusal of smart meter stops the deemed FIT

Day/night, there is no current upgrade path to a smart meter (long story but they can't just put you on a smart meter as it would change your tariff to a default 24hr.. without your explicit permission and pre arrangement)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is/was anyone with Electric Ireland and changed from smart to day/night meter this year? Hard to know if they're going to count that as a refusal (although they'll still owe me Feb-Aug). Some of my neighbours have been paid but not all so I'll probably need to wait it out.

Oh, interesting. My mother in law (the scenario I'm talking about) has a smart meter, so I guess she's not applicable for the "deemed fit" setup.

I on the other hand have a day night meter and solar. So is that an option for me? Do I keep me existing day night rate but get something for export?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

I have a smart meter installed but operating on a 24hr tariff, just wondering if you can move to a day night tariff (but not a smart tariff) on a smart meter? Can you still get day night meters installed if you have a smart meter? Getting solar installed in February and contract is up shortly. Presumably if I can, I wouldn't be in the deemed FIT group.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Depending on who you are with you should already be getting your deemed export payment in that case. Energia and EI have both been paying out the last couple of billing cycles I think.

If already on a smart meter the export will be measured, you don't need to be on a smart plan afaik. Will get an measured FIT.

Energia*, pinenergy, electric Ireland have started paying, on each bill

Bord gais says they are going to pay after a year??

SSE have said they will be paying twice a year.

*Energia started and I think have stopped temporarily as had issues with ESBN sending them the wrong data. They hope to have it resolved by the next billing cycle. My FIT hasn't started yet. Will be back dated to Feb.

Off the top of my head

Energia: 18c

EI : 21

Pinenergy: 21.. increasing to 25 in Jan I think.

SSE 24c

Flo gas 20c

Bord gais: 18.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭curioustony

@johndoe11

I have a smart meter installed but operating on a 24hr tariff, just wondering if you can move to a day night tariff (but not a smart tariff) on a smart meter? Can you still get day night meters installed if you have a smart meter?

Anecdotally, you can move with some effort, possibly some cash, if you have not been on a smart plan/tariff. It will involve changing the physical meter. You will need help from a supplier I think... It's also not clear who pays for the smart meter whenever there is a solution for D/N plans and everybody gets one -- if that ever happens.

If you have had a smart plan/tariff, then you are out of luck, stuck. I tried with ESBN and the CRU. It is effectively a different electricity market. Not a very competitive one. Was going to go further with complaints, aiming for the competition authority, but then got an offer I could not refuse.

I think there was an exception to this: if you buy a house with a smart meter and previous owner had a smart plan/tariff... Even that as I recall reading was a bit of a challenge.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

Ok. Sounds like I can pick whatever plan I fancy for my mother in law (she has a smart meter), and she will get paid for her export.

For me, on a digital day night (non smart) meter, I should get a deemed export payment? How is that export calculated?

Cool. I'll do a bit of research on that. Guess I need to fill in and send on that nc6 form at some stage. Then esb notifies my supplier of our setup/allowance?

• Advertisement

Ah

if you are eligible for a smart meter, you need a smart meter to be paid for what you export back to the network. You will not be eligible for deemed export payments.

So no good for me. I don't want a smart meter. I like my day/night rate.

Advertisement