Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭green n gold

Care to elaborate a little Lilac Nails ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah, I didn't get it either so didn't bother replying

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

The Chief.

Whitegates.

Ukrainians.

Money. Money. Money

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

And like a cryptic crossword if you know, you know. Otherwise you're stumped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

Anyone tried the new outdoor dining space near the International since it opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought that hotel was full of Ukrainians

Lots of negative stories about drunk immigrants refugees etc., causing trouble, scaring people

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Does anyone know if any markets carry vegan turkey products?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

As Moriartys in New Street is sadly closing down, will there be anywhere else in town to get old photos copied?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Sikpupi

Anyone know if the Re-cycling Centre in Coolcasslagh is open on Tuesday 27th ????? Have a ball of Cardboard and plasctic needing recycling .... was hoping to load up teh car on Tuesday and drive up there. Can't find anything on web on Xmas Opening hrs

Many thanks in advance for any replies

• Advertisement

More trouble violence at Hotel Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Five injured in suspected stabbings at Hotel Killarney (irishexaminer.com)

"Up to six ambulances have been deployed and at least one person has already been admitted to UHK Tralee with suspected stab wounds, according to sources."

The health service is stretched enough without this carry on.😏

Post edited by ejmaztec on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

The conversation on this is being shutdown. The agenda is to block any discussion to avoid widespread anger and fear. Boards moderators have already closed a thread stopping people discuss the topic. Checked breaking news this morning, no mention of it. People need to open their eyes to the government agenda being pushed on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

It's a fcuking disgrace. I'm not from Killarney, but what is happening there is a microcosm of wider society and Ireland, in general. Importation of some very dubious "asylum" seekers, without consultation with locals, and expecting a harmonious integration is, quite frankly, sickening. All to appease our EU overlords.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There are multiple threads in After Hours or Current Affairs forums to discuss the right & wrongs of direct provision and other means of dealing with refugees. Go discuss that subject there to your hearts content.

This thread is specifically related to local issues in Killarney. Any breaches of this simple rule will earn you a thread ban. Sweeping generalisations and racist remarks will, as always earn you a ban. This is not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a link just above your post to a report in the Examiner.

The incident is also covered in The Irish Times and is the lead story on the RTE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Is this not a Killarney issue ?? It happened in Killarney, it affects the people who live nearby and how safe people feel.

It also affects the image of the town with regards to its large hospitality base and need for tourism and a general reflect on how the town has undergone change in the past 12 months, good or bad is debatable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Genuinely not sure where we go from here lads. I don't want to discuss the merits of refugees, the asylum process or direct provision but this is becoming a serious issue for the town. It's been 3 years now since the town had a full tourist season and next years one is going to be marred as well unless we can have an honest-to-God discussion about how this issue is specifically affecting the town. We have an incredible town for ourselves and those who want to visit but it's getting to the stage now where if the elephant in the room isn't addressed it's going to be a serious headwind for the town and county going forward.

I have been travelling for the past few months but the issue was starting to boil over since I left in September and most people I talk to back home say the majority of people talk about the issue but are afraid to talk openly about it. I heard it being discussed on Kerry Today and Brendan Griffin made the point that it's not acceptable going forward if you have a large cohort of people in the town afraid to go out alone or at night, regardless of anything to do with the usual talking points. It seems to be an issue that's getting very contentious and divisive and I worry at times about where it'll end up. The last thing Ireland needs is a UKIP type force that seizes control of this issue and infects political discourse with the usual stuff. It'll be sad if the next few years are taken up with the politics of immigration rather than trying to actively address the many issues we have to sort.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Also very concerned about where this'll end up, and I feel it's only a matter of time before this escalates into something else. Has it been acknowledged yet by any local politicians, or discussed on Kerry radio at all? The current refugee setup in Killarney cannot be allowed to continue as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Is this not the ultimate local Killarney issue? 4 people stabbed in a Killarney hotel - if that doesn't qualify, then the criteria need to be altered. If not, the issue should be allowed to be discussed.

As for racist remarks, I certainly haven't seen any. Just general concern being expressed, but I know how that can be construed by some as racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

That the type of comment that does nothing for this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I live next door to the hotel and walk past it most nights to go to the shop. Won’t be doing it again. Would feel much safer driving. Such a shame.

Pretty sure there are children’s swimming classes ongoing in that “hotel” too. I assume that will have to come to an end. It’s not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Botty has been vocal about the potential issues arising and he has been proven right unfortunately. He was also on the radio today saying that something needs to be done now before things start to get even worse or whatever this feud is escalates.

As an aside, I thought there was only Ukrainian refugees in that hotel after the previous issues and protests about bus loads of men being dropped there. Can't imagine it's much fun for the kids who have to stay there to be surrounded by all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I'm not going to highjack the Killarney thread any further if this is considered off topic. I do believe it is priority one for Killarney. There are not multiple threads discussing this, as I stated they are being shutdown. You have confirmed mine and others belief that moderators are restricting free speech and genuine concern by hinting at the racist card in response; I made no such suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was a main news topic on news at 6 on rté 1. I suppose that's your restriction of discussion theory blown up.

Said the hotel was returning to general use later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There is a restriction on discussion to deter the usual suspects from winding up the pitchfork brigade:

FB - "Radio Kerry limited who can comment on this post". Radio Kerry always seems to be petrified when a story such as this pops up, and they may as well have not posted anything on Facebook at all. 🤐

The Examiner had the same restriction earlier in the day, but now seem to have decided to let the dogs out.

We need to close our borders and ports to asylum seekers and refugees, we have taken too many, undocumented no control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

This message was posted from someone who lives in Killarney town.

A sad state of affairs if true.

https://twitter.com/Emmaocon96/status/1609736557036179460?s=20&t=lx9jMiAzeGj5wKyiPryPrw

What a mess that is being made

Advertisement