Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statutory annual leave year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Appendix 4

Section 24

Allows an agreement between the employer and a recognised body (registered trade union effectively) to be registered with the LRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

But that's not what was being asked. It was asked can an employer make you lose holidays earned if not used by December 31st. Also as you know Mrs OBumble the employer has to take multiple factors into account re the employees rest and family, they cannot just say you must take the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CI is generally correct but very simplified. The reality is often quite complex and in fairness they do generally link to the source sites with more detailed information.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope, that's not what was asked. The OP said:

Working in public service and the leave year runs from 1/1 to 31/12 , not end March to April as defined legally. It would suit me alot more to have the leave year end in April- can I insist on this? I can't understand how they can have a policy that is outside the legal definition?

Nothing in there about losing holidays, it's all about the date by which the annual leave allocation needs to be used by.

And yes, the employer has to take factors into consideration. But it's only consideration. Ultimately the employer has a right and a duty to direct employees to take leave to make sure they get the legally required amount of leave.

Advertisement