Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Checklist 2023

• 01-01-2023 5:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭

Dancing with the Stars Returns.

Young Scientist.

St Bridget's Day Bank Holiday.

Super Bowl.

St Valentines Day.

Pancake Tuesday 21st February.

Ash Wednesday 22nd February.

300 days to go.

St Patrick's Day.

Mother's Day 19th.

Waffle Day 25th.

Clocks go forward 26th.

Easter Sunday 9th April.

May Bank Holiday.

Eurovision Week 9th - 13th.

June Bank Holiday.

200 Days to go.

Father's Day 18th June.

Longest Day of the Year.

Wimbledon 3rd - 16th July.

All Ireland hurling 23rd and football 30th July.

August Bank Holiday.

Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens.

Schools return.

Strictly Come Dancing.

Late Late Show Returns.

Rugby World Cup France Starts 8th September.

Great British Bake Off.

100 Days to go.

Ploughing Championships.

Christmas Catalogues. Boots, Smyths, etc.

Clocks go back 29th.

October Bank Holiday/Halloween.

1st November/out of season ends.

Christmas ads.

Christmas coffee cups.

Christmas Coca Cola bottles and ads.

Ice Skating rinks open.

Cities/Shopping centers turn on their lights.

Santa Grottos open.

Christmas FM launches

Black Friday 24th November.

Late Late Late Toy Show.

December 1st. (Open your Advent Calendars.)

First Sunday of Advent December 3rd.

Party food, brandy butter, etc. in store.

Christmas hams arrive in Supermarkets.

RTE Christmas guide.

Fresh Turkeys etc. in stock.

Shortest day of the year.

Work places/Schools get their Christmas holidays.

Some days might be a little off. Don't forget to include personal dates to yourself be it a Birthday, Holiday, Favorite TV program, etc.

Post edited by Posy on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’ve removed 2 out of respect of the ongoing season. Otherwise good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Is this the wishing your life away list?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Or it can be you know just having items to look forward to. I guess it’s how you use your perspective. Some people just enjoy being happy and others will try to piss on your parade.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Trojan work, FP!!

Should Bridget's Day and the Bridget's Day Bank Holiday not be one and the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well I'd have always considered St Bridgets Day to be Febuary 1st but her Bank Holoday seems to be the first Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Excellent work.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I used to look forward to things back in the day....but i was always disappointed in the end....the actual event never lives up to the excitement....

I think John Lennon said it best:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

You must be a joy at parties.

Anyway if this checklist or Christmas forum isn’t for you there’s plenty of other forums you can participate in! 👍🏻

I think for many of the regulars on this forum its more about enjoying the build up and the day itself can actually be anticlimactic, but the beauty of Christmas is that it's a lot more than a day, it's a season and we embrace that and get huge enjoyment from it because it's not a straightforward one off event.

Happy new year btw, here's to all to come and being able to take something from the here and now too 👍

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Top work FT. Can’t think of anything else to add right now seems pretty comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

It’s brilliant to have the extra bank holiday now in February!! The less time spent in work the better 😀

I'm so excited for our new bank holiday. 😁

Comes at the perfect time, mid way between the biggest gap between Bank Holidays.

It really will help break up the most blandness part of the year.

I've said for years that Brigid's Day should be a bank holiday to cheer everyone up after the misery of January. I'm delighted that they finally listened. 😂

While you have the ear of those in the known can you sort out a 4 day week 😂

I said it before and I’ll say it again #Posy4Prez

Some important dates to note;

• Advertisement

Firstly, love it.

Secondly, what do the different colours represent?

Reds are bank holidays, Greens are Christmas related and black for everything else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tippman24

Should put in 300 Days to go also

Touché, date is 28/02/23 if anyone is interested :)

Have my Christmas countdown calendar to stick up in my home office when I get home, enjoyed perusing last years one throughout the year so hopefully this one will be as enjoyable.

I have last years one still up in my home office.... still on July haha.

I didn't get one this year as I'm back to the office once again once COVID clears off. I would love a desktop version of it tho.

Catching up on some of my podcasts today while working and one of them mentioned it was 10 days to Christmas and goes man, January will be hard to take the fact we will be back in triple digits in the countdown again as we've been in double digits since September.

I'm not going to lie it hurt hearing that. But does make you think Sept-Dec really is a straight run in. Double digits from the 17th of September.

All the double digit days combined still go faster than January!

• Advertisement

Once January is over 2023 will most likely kick into warp speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

The year seems so short when you see it listed out like this! No wonder it flies by!

Once it picks up pace, especially the last quarter, the year goes in flash!

Sept-Dec is honestly a blur!

For me April-July feels the longest part, Christmas feels so far away and such a distant thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tippman24

I was going to work a few years ago and was listening to Morning Ireland. As it was in the days leading up to Christmas they had an article on about when do shops doing their planning for those few weeks. The general Manager of Dundrum Shopping Centre was interviewed and he advised that they were already in discussions with their tennants about the next year and had already decided that Opening Times would be extended. A Toy Importer was also asked about the next year's Christmas and he advised that he would be heading to Toy Fairs in January/February. Orders have to be in early in the year to be fulfilled.

Thanks for sharing this. I love all the behind the scenes stuff.

• Advertisement

Need a Discovery Channel show about Christmas retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BK5

I work for a well known company and I'm part of the social committee in work and honestly we are looking and booking venues or hotels for our staff Christmas party in Feb or March every year because if you don't you'll be left with a poor choice by Sep.

Over the years a few places have rung us in Feb and said that some of the Saturdays in December are already gone.

First one off the list as DWTS returned Sunday night just gone, actually watched it this year, wasn't bad, while it's no strictly it was decent enough.

27 days to go to our 1st Bank holiday and then we hit a run of 4 Bank holidays close enough together.

We have 4 Bank Holidays from Feb-June all within 119 Days. The longest gap being from St Bridget to St Patrick's day at 39 Days and the shortest being from Easter to May Bank Holiday at 21 Days.

• Advertisement

Sweet, lots of short working weeks.

Three more off the list now. And a good chunk coming up shortly. Now January is over we are rolling.

Yes, in a week and a half there will be another 3 crossed off (including Pancake Tuesday, my third favourite day of the year) and 300 days will be just around the corner. 😁

So valentines & pancakes can be marked off & Ash wednesday too as of tomorrow, 300 days from next Tuesday... starting to motor now!

Tomorrow week is March already. The checklist really shows how quick the season comes back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Must start getting a few biscuits and chocolates in now ahead of time 😀

February going so quickly has nearly cancelled out the the never ending January. Be summer before we know it and sure then we are pretty much back in season!

I can't get over the speed of February, especially after the 17 week long January!

Wednesday is March & day 299 on the countdown, the first real countdown milestone, which despite being the shortest feels the longest thanks to the almost never-ending January, so good riddance I say 😀

2 more can be marked off the list now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement