Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kamikaze Joggers Runners.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

im not touching you.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The stewarts’ job is to make sure the organised event runs smoothly and safely, with minimal inconvenience to other road users. If there was any issue with the jogger, it’s not for them to stop him, it’s for them to stop the tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Still waiting for somebody to explain just what is dangerous about the original video?

Is a tractor run not in fact even safer than a random tractor piloted by a 12 year old flying around a corner?

Don't rallies have spectators literally lining the road itself? Yet it is an issue to have one lad running up a wide road against some of the slowest and loudest vehicles you could possibly find?

Without an explanation I have to default to the OP being a complete **** idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Those tractors shouldn't be on the road, if that's the way you think.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I shake my head at 2 women in particular who walk the road . I grew up in the countryside and they in an estate outside a village on a straight road with footpaths. On a straight walk /jog on the left. On a corner always, always go on the outside of it. Especially if there’s a high bank that blocks the view of traffic If you have to cross the road, do that at a safe place .it will be no use to their family to know they were on the left when they’re on the bonnet of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'm not sure you are capable of understanding who is in danger, or what the cause of that danger might be.

Tractor related dangers aren't my thing.

But I do know that running around country lanes and backroads is for the dimwitted. Thats a stupidly dangerous thing to do, don't say you weren't warned.

Post edited by 20Wheel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

These charity tractor runs are just an excuse for farmers to sit on their arses and flex farm machinery muscle. All the while wasting diesel and taking up road space.

If they really wanted to raise money for charity convincingly, they should all go for an actual run, like our jogger friend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In what way? There is room for both if appropriate care is taken as it clearly was here. All the vehicles saw him and avoided him with respect.

• Advertisement

They come across as townies who have no idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

German Jamaicans with , twisted laces

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Stephenc66

They do raise money for charity convincingly. The one in county Limerick on Friday night will probably have raised up to 20k.

last years event raised €19k

And that is just one of the many runs that raise tens of thousands if not much more in total through out Ireland every year.

The parade of lights tractor run in Nenagh has become a huge event in town every year with massive local support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Bizarre response. Rural people run and walk everywhere for leisure. I'll give you this, some rural people seem to think that nobody should be on the road if they're not in a vehicle but we're not all that backward or exclusive. You and the OP are obviously in the exclusive category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Oh it's for charidee so that means the tractors are entitled to take up the entire road

Post 11.

"I suppose in this case youd probably be ok."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Nor should a marathon but if everybody just did what they wanted then society wouldn't function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

It was just an example of sometimes people are put out for the greater good

Do you drive a tractor often? I do. I was even at a run today and not driving. Nobody closes roads to pedestrians and joggers, most don't even close to motorists. My point is it's perfectly easy to have a tractor run without shutting down rural roads. A marathon is a different matter entirely. If you can't see that I'm can't help you.

• Advertisement

Some mulchies just seem to love a Darwin award.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm not a fan of this newfound Celtic tiger legacy fashion of frowning on anyone other than motorists being on rural roads where only 'important' people in cars and other vehicles have the right to use the byroads & back roads of Ireland. A fashion that excludes rural people from walking the roads as they did for decades, a fashion that insists rural people should drive or stay the fook at home for the good of their health & if they insist on walking, running, cycling a victim blaming culture appears if they get injured or worse.

Every Irish motorist that drives should always expect the expected (not the unexpected), and that's people out walking, farmers herding, slow driving agricultural vehicles, locals out and about exercising in their locality.

It's incredibly obvious to anyone that's looked at the footage that the runner has lots of room to run & that there's no danger to him, he's on the correct side of the road with metres of room.

It's important to recognise that rural Ireland has produced some or the best sports people & olympians through the ages from freedom to run, cycle & walk. This thread has highlighted more issues with tractor runs than it has with pedestrians as the OP remonstrates the cheek of a local to walk in his locality facing large vehicles on a rural L road flanked by high hedges!

The pure cheek of him! Cocky fooker leaves his house to walk his local roads!!

No feck it. I'm not allowed walk to the village anymore

You misread my post! Please read back to my earlier post. I am gdeep rural and we have no pavements or even verges on our very narrow lanes. Only recourse is the ditch..which I have had to revert to on occasion... I tend to walk before the farmers are up....Yes they have to work of course... and they usually stop for a chat if they pass me on the lane. But an event like this is a very different matter. As I wrote earlier I opined that watching the event it was impressive that the tractor drivers took great care when they encountered the runner. And I objected to the terms used in the thread title... that runner knew what he was at and was perfectly safe. More likely to expire from the stench of fumes than from being hit. My response was more accurate than most here.. Both sides were on ( thankfully occasional) recreational activity not everyday needs or occupations and that alone adds a factor the lanes were not made for. Folk need fun. As long as it is safe. Nothing kamikaze going on! lol

Advertisement