Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Last full day of ChristmasFM with DJs until late November. Be sorry to hear the DJs go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Feels like I missed out on so much of Christmas FM this year. Will be dropping into classical and carols again in the new year but feel like I missed out on the main show.

Will make the run up to 28/11/23 even more anticipated 😀

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Have it on in the background while get party food ready for later. Probably wouldn’t tune in as much once they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Ah the presenters are such a comfort, I'm having a quiet NYE due to catching the flu but I'm happy out listening to the last of it with a couple of hot toddies brewing!

They really do bring it to life. I dip in during the year if I'm down in the dumps but you can't beat the presenters.

• Advertisement

Yeah completely agree. I often dip in and out of season mostly Jan/Feb/Oct time and without presenters I usually switch off after 10 mins. I feel like if I want to listen to a playlist I can listen to my own playlists.

I love the ChristmasFM jingles tho. Brings you right back into the season.

The jingles give me tingles... so good at bringing uou right back into the season for moment.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Final song for online was fairytale of New York.

And that’s it for another 11months. :(

Had it playing this morning while feeding the little man his breakfast and the playlist was on fire!

it got me thinking the playlist this year was very good. It started slow in November in particular before the FM launch but once it went live on FM I felt the playlist was much more varied than previous years.

• Advertisement

Heard the songs I dislike a lot less this year, but didn't hear a lot of others I do like, but agree that the playlist had a decent variety this year. No song played too much ( though frosty the Snowman came close) which has been a staple the last few years.

As I said previously I'll be looking forward to its return in 11 months and will be dipping in and out of classical throughout the year.

Would be great to get some inside info, how they pick the playlists, add new songs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My father in law was saying the other day that he had been looking for a song from when he was younger but couldn't find it on CD anywhere. He was delighted when i found it on Spotify and played it for him. I've listed to it once or twice since then and it's lovely!

The song is Mary had a Baby by Mary Hopkin.

Worth a listen!

Post edited by Heroditas on

I always think this. I do think the behind the scenes/run up to launch for ChristmasFM would make a great documentary or podcast that could release weekly on Oct/Nov before launch.

I did email them this idea a few years ago but Alais nothing came from it.

A reggae version of jingle bells was played at breakfast this morning, had never heard it before and must look it up after we get back.

Yeah was decent. If I find it I'll stick it up here forbyou all to have a listen.

Cool. I can close my eyes and imagine I'm sitting on a beach with a cocktail in hand 😁

So my fears on the multi charity route were unfounded. I think it worked well and ChristmasFM really delivered well on it.

• Advertisement

What will be weird is there’ll be no charity announcement for the next couple of years anyway.

I do hope we hear from ChristmasFM socials more this year even if it’s to post a meme or two.

Yeah, they were very quiet this year right up until the charity partner announcement. I appreciate there's not much to post about throughout the year but previously they've had the odd post or email, this year was the quietest I can remember.

Great that they're so close. Suspect they'll reach it before revealing the final total.

Yep, I'd say it's a subtle marketing ploy to get them over the line.

If they come back for one day I’ll personally will donate an additional €100.

So I may have dipped into ChristmasFM 3 times on Sunday just gone, with the tree down I needed a much needed festive boost. I listened in at 8am, 1pm and 7.30pm. While the playlist was good I did noticed maybe it was purely coincidence that the playlist played the same songs at 8am and 1pm. Maybe it's on a 5 hour loop.

Would make sense with no presenters or public to pick different songs.

I know classical & carols is probably the same, it does change throughout the year but you tend to hear the same songs at the same times (give or take) every day, I notice it because I tend to listen in at the same times/days across a period of time around scheduled work meetings.

Am WFH this morning so may give it a wee listen actually.

Just got an email from them and seems they have raised nearly €300k.

How does that compare to previous years?

Post edited by TRS30 on

• Advertisement

2021 - €331,515

2020 - €284,000

2019 - €412,000

2018 - €400,000

2017 - €214,000

2016 - €365,000

2015 - €278,000

2014 - €107,000

2013 - €85,000

2012 - €100,000

2011 - €117,000

2010 - €86,000