Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Sligored wrote: »
    halfords closed for good

shame, I had my doubts it were ever going to open up again when all the other stores up there were opening up and there were no mention of them ever opening again. for the benefits of peoples livelyhoods I do hope the staff up there find another job OK ... for my own personal benefit and the benefits of others in Sligo who found the store very handy that maybe an independant store along the same lines of products what Halfords sold could open up somewhere in sligo , even if it was not placed in the retail park - the rent must be a killer up there for them units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's an awful pity about Halfords. They had nice staff working in there and only last January I had to get a light bulb for my car before the NCT and the chap put it in when it was snowing. I wonder was the decision made in the UK. They may have looked at their stores and felt which one had the smallest customer reach and town population and decided to close the Sligo branch unfortunately. They will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

DenMan wrote: »
    That's an awful pity about Halfords. They had nice staff working in there and only last January I had to get a light bulb for my car before the NCT and the chap put it in when it was snowing. I wonder was the decision made in the UK. They may have looked at their stores and felt which one had the smallest customer reach and town population and decided to close the Sligo branch unfortunately. They will be missed.

yep very good helpful staff - nothing was too much bother i found and on a couple of occasions I had to take a couple of things back (my error) and they took it back no quibbles and exchanged it for the right item - twas a lovely store to browse around and pick things up and look at the labels and everything and such a wide selection of stuff , dont get me wrong the other motor factors are very good in sligo too but there was just something extra good about that store up at the retail park and very handy and very good/handy to get too , price-wise, on the whole not too bad some things a little more pricey maybe than what you could buy from the motor factors for but still priced competitively on most stuff.
    Nearest hafords store now is Galway I suppose now isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

There’s one in Longford in the retail park where Argos is as far as I know.
    yep very good helpful staff - nothing was too much bother i found and on a couple of occasions I had to take a couple of things back (my error) and they took it back no quibbles and exchanged it for the right item - twas a lovely store to browse around and pick things up and look at the labels and everything and such a wide selection of stuff , dont get me wrong the other motor factors are very good in sligo too but there was just something extra good about that store up at the retail park and very handy and very good/handy to get too , price-wise, on the whole not too bad some things a little more pricey maybe than what you could buy from the motor factors for but still priced competitively on most stuff.
    Nearest hafords store now is Galway I suppose now isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

johnire wrote: »
    There’s one in Longford in the retail park where Argos is as far as I know.

Longford or Letterkenny. There was one in Castlebar, but similar to Sligo, it's showing as Closed on the website as well, wonder if they've shut that one as well?

https://www.halfords.ie/locations

Longford is open according to their website. Castlebar, Cavan and Letterkenny are all closed according to it. I hope they're not permanently closed too. I got my my bicycle fixed in Letterkenny three years ago. Great guys and had it done for me in a few hours in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

DenMan wrote: »
    on ocean this morning it was said the lease was up at the end of the month and couldnt make a deal for it. they will hardly look for another location in sligo i guess, it was handy to get certain bits and pieces in there. 5l of screen wash in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1146519/

Passed by 2 weeks ago in the Quayside shopping centre and Monsoon & Accessorize are gone.

Never anything good in there, but another blow to Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

Jalan Jalan have ceased trading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Jalan Jalan have ceased trading

If true it would prob be more suited to this thread...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444610&page=154

Hope it's not true tho, they did lovely food & were always busy.

Source?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Ya sorry I only coped that when I posted it

I heard from three people it's gone and that the restaurant is cleared out I still haven't seen anything myself so hopefully someone can come along an verify it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Couple of posts above moved from the "opening" to the "closing" thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mickwat155 wrote: »
    I heard from three people it's gone and that the restaurant is cleared out I still haven't seen anything myself so hopefully someone can come along an verify it
    To be fair, restaurant is cleared out anyways since Covid bar a table down the middle separate people entering and exiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tinpib

Jalan Jalan is open as usual this evening anyway. So hopefully the rumour is not true.

Basq wrote: »
    To be fair, restaurant is cleared out anyways since Covid bar a table down the middle separate people entering and exiting.

Sounds like I've been fed a load of bull and believed it my bad

• Advertisement

Pamela Scott is to close 12 stores nationwide and unfortunately the Sligo premises is one of them. Half their stores are closing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1015/1171714-12-pamela-scott-shops-to-close/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

Lidl in Cranmore closing for a complete refurb from next Wednesday (18th). Not expected to reopen until some time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Has Charlie's barber on the Mall closed?

Doors locked before 5 past two evenings. No sign in window.

Noticed the tiny cake shop/cafe at the very front of Quayside on Wine St is closed now and inside is gutted, i.e. counters/tables chairs etc all removed.

Also there was a hairdressers up beside Like Nu dry cleaners on High St, outside is painted yellow and again it closed a few months back I think. Signage removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Still trading, possibly closed Mondays & Tuesdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭sligopaul

Is Knox still open, where did you hear about Bridgefoot house, to be honest I fear for all the hospitality sector come Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

I've been in Argos 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months, usually empty apart from me when Im there. Be a shame to see it close.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^^

The Knox website reads "Closed for renovations" - I wonder, will they reopen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I started this thread because of a strong Argos rumer in 2008 which turned out to be fake news, hopefully it will outlive this one too as it would be a shame to loose it. As handy as online is its hard to beat click and collect when your stuck.

Post edited by muffler on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Sligo Argos is the pits though.. never anything in stock!

Castlebar always has the stock.

Mod note/ Guys I removed an earlier post by rovers_runner in which it was claimed that 3 different shops were to close down in early 2023. The comment was without substance and was personal speculation. Those type of comments are very unfair to both the businesses concerned and the customers / consumers. So I would ask everyone not to speculate and only post about a business closing AFTER it has been formally announced. Thanks.

Meant to say ...sorry to a couple of the regulars here as I had to remove a couple of your posts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I noticed The Style Emporium on Grattan Street has 'Closing Down Sale' in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It wasn't personal speculation, have been told by many, but yes it also hasn't been formally announced. We will see in February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 wayoutwhest

Does the Brewery Pub still open? I saw a picture online and thought that would be the kind of place that would do a carvery one Sunday only to find it fully closed.

• Brewery was known as a student pub. Davis's restaurant on the Bundoran road is great for Sunday lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wayoutwhest

Thats where we went in the end but surprised there is not a carvery in the town, or is there

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• You could check out the pool and gym when you're there 😉 : )

The Style Emporium is to close sadly and they have a closing down sale now on.

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2023/01/04/sadness-as-popular-sligo-shop-to-close/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

All Argos stores to close. Loss of 400 jobs. It's a real shame, I feel online shopping probably to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

Rents, cost of Ireland given as the reason. Hope staff get a good package.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It would be confirmed by the fact that their website wouldn't let me check stock availability, yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

All stores to close by June 24th. The Waterford one has looked a bit down on its luck the last few days that I’ve been in. Still a shock. They must have started operating here nearly 30 years ago.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A few places have closed in January for a break, presumably where they have a small staff and they all worked hard over Christmas and the run up to it. Trade is probably quiet enough in Jan as well. I wouldn't say that means they are closing down at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

I see one out of three, walkers closed for 2 weeks so that staff who worked through the Christmas period with little time off, could get some time off, by the looks of thinks Bridgefoot are doing the same, Knox flagged well in advance that they would close for the winter when they would be quieter.

Mod: This isn't a competition so cut it out. I clearly asked you not to post about businesses closing unless it was formally announced. Apart from Argos which is a national closure you again posted details of 2 other businesses that are closed short term only and intend opening again. You appear to be gloating about the closures in an attempt to justify your post from last year and get one over on the forum mod. That ends here. Show a bit of respect to the Argos workers who were only told this morning that they will be losing their jobs and I don't think they will be too impressed with the gloating here.

If you wish to respond to my comments then please do so by PM.

• Advertisement

Wednesday (10am-9pm) to Sunday (11am till 4pm)

Yes. In other words, it hasn’t closed, you were wrong.

2 clothes shops beside each other on Wine St seemed to close very suddenly, just a couple of doors up from Fabio's. Everything seemed normal, then 1 day last week there was closing down sale signs up and all the stock was nearly gone. Both closed today, but it is Sunday. FTK was the name of 1, can't remember the other.

Someone in the forum only recommended In Stitches to me recently but looks like Louise is closing down the business at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement