Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu - tell me I'm not alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm using the neilmed rinse but it's not helping at all. Still completely congested in one nostril.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Ya, as already mentioned that’s the real deal flu and not like the bad colds that can mistakenly get labelled flu. Very sudden onset, usually accompanied by severe headache, bad muscle pain and a 24-48 hour period of vomiting. It took me months to get back to normal after getting it in my mid 20s. I have been assiduously getting the flu vaccine since then and so far have yet to have had a repeat, going on 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

Never had a cough now I am coughing up my lungs for the last 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I do wonder what all this illness says about our way of life. As soon as we stop working and relax, the various bugs hammer us. Alcohol is probably a major factor as it significantly reduces the immune system.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

You aren't alone. I had the same symptoms late November, never had a "sinus flu" (what they finally called it) before. Stayed on daily meds (anti-inflams, antibiotics, nasal spray, steams, etc) for weeks on end, took a lot longer to ease than expected, am still feeling some residual. Hope you start feeling better soon op, until then be gentle and mind yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

For me having all the covid boosters and the flu vaccine the only thing i get is a sore throat and have been using Vicks First Defence for the last 3 years and not once did i get a cold.

Anytime my hair would get wet sore throat followed by a miserable cold.

Coughing i have bought Bronco Stop Lozenge's and sucking them is amazing and they work

So try Vicks First Defence nasal spray and it helps to clear colds up quicker and might give more protection with covid.

Any cough Bronco Stop Lozenge's.

Report back when you have tried them for others to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

About a week plus ago I'd something, negative on covid and while it was mostly mild the second day I got the worst sore throat I've had in my adult life (tonsils out when small).

About 2 days of coughing up my lungs with a cutting pain each time and pain swallowing anything/nothing. Even going outside during the cold snap the air and fumes from the cars cut, had to go to the shop and passing the cleaning isle the same. Loads of salt water gargling helped but all the rest didn't reach low enough to soothe anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I had it around the start of November for about 5 days. Sinus pain,headaches, sore throat, chest pains, no energy had the lot. There was two nights I couldn't breathe through my nose and waking in the morning with a mouth completely dry. It's a rough few days with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

I had influenza at this time in 2019. I’ve had covid twice and neither time came close to how bad I felt with the influenza. My body basically seized up. It all came to a head when I literally couldn’t straighten my arms my muscles had essentially shut down and my temp spiked to 105. My wife thought I was having a stroke and I ended up in hospital Christmas night. Spent a few hours hooked up to a drip and then was left home to wallow away on the couch for the next week.

I lost about 1.5 stone in a fortnight and it took me a good 6 weeks to get back to full speed. Of course then I got covid at the end of March 2020 and lost another stone. I met someone I had been out for drinks with just before Christmas at Easter time and they didn’t recognise me. This type of flu is dangerous so be very careful with it and stay as hydrated as you possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Diagnosed with chest infection on Dec 12th. Course of antibiotics and I felt much better. A few days later this cough / sinus thing hit me and I have been sick since. My ribs and throat hurt from coughing.

Mr Sam and the minions all sick too. Antibiotics and steroids all around. Christmas week we spent 240 euro on doctors and 60 odd on meds.

Lost count of how many covid tests we did. I went back to work today and spent the day coughing in my little office corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Probably stupid question but did you do a Covid test just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I spent the Thursday night before Xmas vomiting , 5 trips to the dunny. Weak, blurred vision, pain in my stomach that I would rate 9/10 which traveled around to my back. Was genuinely in agony. Couldn’t work Friday. Didn’t eat anything Friday or Saturday. Felt ok Sunday and pain was only completely gone yesterday. Didn’t go to doc but did have negative covid test. Lost 8lbs in 3 days, i weigh less than 10 stone to start with.

18 month old daughter has been off crèche since 9th December, runny nose , bad cough keeping her awake at night, intermittent high temp, not eating as normal. Has been to doctor twice with it and he just said viral infection and has to fight it herself. Second visit was today (Wednesday) as cough is so chesty we’re thinking she won’t be going to crèche next Tuesday unless a massive improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Savage amount of illness knocking about. I was on antibiotics for chest infection. Now have oral thrush and can feel another dose coming on.

Lockdowns were great for out immunity eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's worse than COVID was back in January this year, I'm surprised people aren't calling for more lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well maybe people are smart enough to know why it was required then and isn't now.

I think people are just doing more mixing as those wfh are in more days which also means more days on public transport. More socializing etc.

Pre COVID you'd have a dose that went through a school or office and no one really thought too much of it. Once it gets into a school it's gets into the community etc. Anyone with kids will know this. Just how it works.

Some people are just more prone to it than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Anybody still wearing a facemask as i am still if out

Depends on the situation. In a medical setting yes. Mostly not though. I'm not in close contact in a crowd that often though. So rarely in a situation where I'd need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭fits

This dose just went through our house. We were all vaccinated. Me over six weeks ago. The others all in last three weeks. One six year old boy was really bad. 7 days straight of fever. Two visits to gp. No appetite and lost loads of weight. Hearing loss. My husband was not vaccinated the full two weeks when he caught it and got a dose but it cleared after 3-4 days. Other six year old had a short lived thing and I had fatigue for one day. Vaccine isn’t 100% effective but I’m fairly sure it helped us out. Can really see how kids are ending up in hospital with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Yep, I wish people with a two day cold stopped saying they had the flu

• Advertisement

Feeling a bit nauseous now myself...could be the alcohol and lack of food....no no it's probably a virus lol...no it's the alcohol and lack of food lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Someone mentioned M.E aka Chronic fatigue after this flu?

Please be careful to give yourself full time to recover? The main trigger for M.E/CFS is a simple infection an dit is a long lasting and crippling illness.

I was a young teacher decades ago when I had a bad flu. They sent all my exam marking to me when I was ill in bed. and basically I was never well thereafter.

In those days M.E was barely recognised. So it got labelled ?mental illness? As there is no real recognised test for M.E . They term it a " diagnosis of exclusion" .. Tests for all else prove negative but the illness is still there.

It was literally 3o years before , after yet another infection. a top consultant after 3 weeks of inpatient tests got it right. And I was finally formally diagnosed as having M.E/aka Chronic Fatigue ( a name we hate) Still as ill as ever.

and as my immune system is dysfunctional as a result, I live in strict isolation. Happy with that .. even a cold is a danger.

Triggered by a bad flu that was not treated with the respect such an infection merits

Please give yourself all the time your body needs to really recover. Flu is a major systemic illness. Rest!

Action for M.E and the M.E Association are well worth a check... a very informative forum is Phoenix Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Plenty of people, including so called experts, were calling for lockdowns in the months after lockdown was lifted, they weren't smart enough to see that the costs of lockdown far outweighed it's benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A lot of my relations are complaining about a mildish illness giving them (a) tiredness, (b) sore throat and (c) sore lower back. I immediately thought Covid but they were all negative.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

10 days into this now. This morning I feel somewhat normal for the first time.

Started with three days where I basically couldn't even contemplate getting out of bed. Chills, the runs, high temperature. Waking up around 4:30 every morning frozen because the sheet and blankets are wet from sweat.

Tested negative for Covid

This bad few days followed with milder symptoms of above, minus the runs, that went the other way. Added was a headache. Overall if that's the flu I can see how it kills off the elderly.

Never had anything that lasted this long.

I'm not going to turn this thread into another boring argument about lockdown and how "worth it" it was.

You're no alone op.

I... personally feel great atm but I'm sure someone else feels flu like symptoms as you do now so you're not alone in that.

Only messing...hope you feel better soon..plenty of rest 🤗hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Same here, and with a good few people I've met over Christmas.

Got the flu jab a month ago, tested negative for Covid, but I've had this thing for over a week now.

Headaches and cough, no fever, but feeling miserable.

• Advertisement

In ours thus far only the unvaccinated kids got a heavy dose. The rest of us got much milder cough/cold. Might be just luck. I've only ever had flu once in my life. Heavy colds often enough.

Advertisement