Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu - tell me I'm not alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ok thanks doctor. I was 20 at the time. It was a flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Test centre locally was definitely still open couple of weeks before Christmas as family member went for test, something to do with job and can't get sick pay if not confirmed by pcr, anyway they were negative as it happened.

• I have a mild cold, constant tickle cough, no fever, no bone pains, chest mildly congested. One of the more trivial of the viruses doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Last update, 100% there was a bacterial secondary there alright, day two of antibiotics and steroids and holy hell the difference, fever and shivers gone, been out of bed, showered even managed a small dinner. Still a bit to go yet, weak as a baby but man I'm amazed at the speed that turned around. Slightly annoyed at myself I left it go so long without going to the docs but hey, I'm happy.

Stay safe and hope everyone recovers soon.

And take or leave this fools hard learned advice - get the flu jab!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Had what I think was a chest infection over Christmas. Unpleasant enough for a few days but I'm over the worst of it now. Did a few Covid tests over the few days and they were all negative. Can't really taste or smell much at the moment so not really sure what's going on. Nose is still a bit blocked so could be linked to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I’ve been the same since stephens day. Whole family has been sick pretty much since last week in November but I managed to avoid it til now. Pretty much bed bound the last few days. Horrendous dose. Got my kids the flu vacc but stupidly never got mine, kept saying I would but never did. Seriously regretting that now

• My cough started to come is big spasms last night, very tight chest, getting a bit difficult to breath.

This morning woke up coughing bright orange sputum, which looks like secondary bacterial infection. Very dizzy when I try to get out of bed. Might seek an antibiotic tomorrow.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Try and get some Bronco Stop lozenges.

https://www.bronchostop.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There doesn't seem to be a family that wasn't impacted by illness this Xmas. I haven't seen it this bad before.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"active" ingredient in Bronchostop is thyme. There is no evidence of it being beneficial to anyone.

Its a commercial placebo.

You can get that placebo effect from something much cheaper and not requiring a trip to a pharmacy, e.g. honey and lemon.

• Advertisement

• There are many either useless or borderline dangerous pharmaceutical products. A good example is Alkaseltzer, which has aspirin as the active ingredient, in some variations I have seen other unhelpful combinations in various instances of this product. After a massive binge of alcohol the last thing a binge drinker or alcoholic needs is a dose of aspirin to dissolve the already inflamed lining of the stomach. Fast way to potentially dangerous erosive gastritis or stomach ulcers.

One thing people need to watch out for is that they do NOT take more than one product that contains paracetamol. It’s important to read labels of medicines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭McSween

I started feeling off last wednesday 28th. From Thursday to date I have had shivers, phlegm, headaches. They seem to be rotating as for the first time in three days I was freezing going to bed last night. Today that is gone and had a terrible headache and sore cheekbones, and over the eyes. That has now passed. I think my attempted induced vomit helped. This is an awful experience. I owe my wife big time for the last five days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Major incident declared in Limerick hospital (UHL) due to record attendances.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• I’m on this site much earlier than usual as I literally couldn’t breath lying down, particularly on my right side. Absolutely suffocating with crackles and pain in right side of chest. Time to email GP for a €65 phone consultation:

Doc: ”What are your symptoms?”

Me: ”Cough, chest tightness, difficult to breath lying down, particularly right side, soreness in right side of chest, crackles when lying in back or right side. Covid negative, very little fever, taste retained, very little nasal congestion.”

Doc: ”Are you allergic to penicillin?”

Me: ”No”

Doc: “Prescription for that and a steroid sent to chemist. Receptionist will phone you back at our convenience to take the €65”

Me: ”Doc, as I want the paper receipt for claims I’ll pay when I’m well enough get down to the surgery.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with it.

we all had it but only my son who is six was really bad. all of us had flu jabs. He still has significant hearing loss. GP said it could take 6-8 weeks to resolve. I’ll have to tell his teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keithb93

This is the second time I’ve had the flu in my life. Been very sick over the past week. Weakness, blocked nose, serious coughing and sneezing fits. I think I’m starting to develop a secondary bacterial infection based on the colour of my tissues. We caught covid this time last year and it wasn’t as bad as this flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beansie

Just getting to the end of this dose now. Went to bed night of the 28th feeling totally fine - the next morning my throat was so sore, I couldn't get out of bed with the fatigue, and I had that shivering/hot fever. Still can't believe how suddenly it appeared. My appetite isn't fully back yet and sinuses have been on fire but getting better now. Paracetamol did basically nothing but ibuprofen helped. Pseudoephedrine made it worse too!

When do you decide to call the doctor over this dose? I have a deep chesty cough now for the past two days which is starting to get really painful although other symptoms are easing so I might just wait it out? Interestingly my partner hasn't picked it up at all - few sneezes but that's it!

Absolutely bolloxed at the moment. Main problem for me though is the eyes. Look like I've been on a 20 year bender. They are insanely red. Cold compresses, drops, antihistamines, sleep. All no good to me.

Online GP app at 11:40

Bit of a balls considering I hold a Medical Card, but needs must.

• Sounds very like influenza, its hallmark is a remarkably abrupt onset. The only other respiratory infection I’ve had with such an abrupt onset is bacterial lobar pneumonia. An example is when I returned from a new year holiday in Portugal and was writing my usual email blog to the relatives & friends. I started the moderately long email feeling perfectly ok, just before I clicked send I had started shaking violently with an abrupt chill and had to take straight to bed, coughing purple blood. Next morning I felt suffocating, got a taxi to hospital where I was admitted as both lungs widely affected by a bacterial infection. At least IV antibiotics, oxygen, steroids & nebulisers dealt with it, had it been an influenza the misery would have had to be endured to remedy itself. I was on immune suppressant medication at the time.

• Pseudoephedrine nearly always makes things worse in these cases as it spasms the tiny blood vessels, which is one of the causes of the fierce face and head pain.

I made the decision to consult a doctor by phone this morning after having difficulty breathing on one side, which gave rise to crackles on that side, and I had to turn around on the other side and only my belly to breath freely. That’s called baso-basilar crepitations and usually means there’s either a pneumonia or bronchiolitis present in at least part of the lung. That needs to be addressed with an antibiotic and usually a steroid to reduce inflammation in the airways, so it can clear without complications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Oh f*ck yeah. Daughter got it first. Passed it to me, I started to feel bad on the 22nd, and only just starting to feel OK now. Worst dose I can remember having. B-i-L and family were even worse, a couple of them had a relapse of it after they thought they were OK.

• Conjunctivitis with fever is typical of an adenovirus, almost always self-limiting, but unpleasant.

Was prescribed with 625mg of Augmentin by a doctor from MyClinic.ie. 2 daily I think. Will pick them up tomorrow.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• left the apartment to collect my antibiotic prescription at pharmacy, absolutely no breath in me when I got to pharmacy, couldn’t even speak in a complete sentence. You only realise how unwell you really are when you try to move out and about.

Make sure to take pro-biotics after. A heavy dose of Augmentin can have your gut in shreds.

Emailed receipts are perfectly fine for claims.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ottolwinner

You can also request an annual statement from your GP that will work as a receipt for claiming medical expenses

• They don’t do emailed receipts at my practice. Paying them is a pain in the h0le, after doctor consult the receptionist phones you back some time over the next few days to take your card details, and it’s never at a convenient time. IME much simpler just to pay in person when I am passing that way anyhow. Every time I have to cajole a receipt from them, they are very unprofessional on the admin side there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭McSween

Felt ok on Tuesday. Went to doctor anyway. Felt more normal for the evening. However, before bed temperature rose again, freezing in bed, headache came back. It woke me up at 12. Tried to induce vomiting but it didnt work. But i think the minor wretching may have helped a bit. The medication is not working for the headache when i have it. This is horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Never have found it as hard to shake a dose before. Currently 11 days in. You think your getting better then bam smashed again. Taste and smell currently gone, sore throat and lingering bad chest cough. Painful.

Advertisement