Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is societies obsession with carrying cash?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Just look up your balance like a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sure if cash goes away won’t be able to do the odd nixer. Bollocks to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Handy for snorting my coke.

And for anyone that says someone in front of them was holding them up because they were rooting for cash/trying to find their bank card or even open an app on their phone.... NEWSFLASH!!

That's not a money/card/app problem.

That's a person problem.

They'll hold you up no matter what they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Paul Pogba

I work in a retail based environment, I don’t see any issue with cash or card. I do prefer people who pay by tap or by tapping the phone if it’s over 50.

Some people are slow to get cash out of their wallet but more people are unable to use a card machine. Ages fishing for it in a wallet despite standing in a queue for 2 minutes knowing they’re paying very soon. Can’t get it out if their wallet cos it’s rammed tight with all other cards etc.

They have to be told to put in the card even though they’re looking at a machine that says ‘please insert card’. Putting card in upside, chip not going in first, not pushing card in fully, forgetting their PIN, have to be told to press the green button after entering it, have to be told to take the card out. Boils my piss so it does.

Amazing also how many people have their PIN written on a piece of paper in their wallet. One good reason for keeping cash is that around 3-4 times a year the card payment system malfunctions for maybe 2 hours. No option to make a transaction then only cash. Plus I would say the vast majority over 65 don’t have smartphones to pay or check balances. A lot of post offices and banks have closed in rural villages and towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Both have their place. Cash is great for private buying and selling, I'm hardly going to get a bloody card machine to move on my unwanted stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The choice should always be there if feasible.

If you think about it for a while you'd see that banks and payment processors make an absolute fortune off card transactions.

The fifty euro you pay by card to the merchant instantly becomes fifty euro minus fees into the merchants account.

The merchant spends that via card and money becomes less again in the next persons account and so on and so on. The fifty euro is gone pretty quickly in this type of cycle in fees.

Fifty Euro cash is always fifty Euro cash.

This is more important and easier to understand the smaller the business you are.

There are other reasons as well, all outlined here but we need to be careful about where we are heading when it comes to this.

a pretty good article on the topic above which may outline the main point I make better than I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

There is no obsession with cash - it's use has declined massively in recent years and continues to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Op, I was arrested before for assaulting a customer who asked me to hurry up whilst purchasing something. I dragged her half way down Henry Street by the scruff of her hair, whilst simultaneously slapping her arse with her leather boot which I had removed in a most deplorable temper.

People need to know how to mind their own phucking business.

If you are happy to order complete strangers around in public.... then you should be happy to accept any feedback they offer in return?

My 10 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

People who prefer cash are definitely having their options reduced but that isn't the fault of those who prefer cards, it's the fault of a system which prefers cashless. Those who prefer to be cashless are not having their rights encroached upon by the people who prefer cash nor do they benefit from their demise because there is room for both.

It's a preference, not everything has to be a **** battle in the culture war 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The merchant spends that via card and money becomes less again in the next persons account and so on and so on. The fifty euro is gone pretty quickly in this type of cycle in fees.

It doesn't though, if the charge is 1% then I lose 5c for processing a card fee, the next person doesn't lose 10c, then 15c, then 20, that 50 euro will always be 50 euro.

Fifty Euro cash is always fifty Euro cash.

Right, but unless businesses are paying other businesses out of the till directly, that money has to be lodged, which comes with a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Please tell me you also spit on your palm and give a meaty handshake during these transactions, to appease my imagination. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Cash is great, when I was in the buildings you literally couldn't keep it spent, a handy nixer on a weekend would have 4 to 500 cash out of it, put enough through the bank to keep revenue happy and keep the cash a ton of coal, holidays, jobs around the house and a few pints now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Reminded me I had to pay for an expensive item this year and credit card limit wouldn't cover it so I preloaded the credit card with cash.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I prefer cash because I can more easily keep track of my own spending, If I take out 50euro and limit myself to the 50 so I don't overspend, i've less chance of sticking to that limit if im trigger happy tapping my card. Also, if I ever did manage to get to the point were id be able to apply for a mortgage, id be persecuted for the amount of takeaway coffees and random little spends on my statement that eat into my money. You can always tell when someone is privileged and disconnected from from 'lower' economic classes because they dispute amenities, products, services ect that less well off people depend on. It might be surprise to you but theres allot of people who don't have bank accounts, homeless people and the elderly are often totally dependant on cash. Society has to cater to all people, not just those who are in good positions in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why the obsession with people who like using cash?

The benefits and drawbacks are well known. Recently a bar owner told me card payments are a godsend for the hospitality industry, the more alcohol people drink, the less interest they seem to have in how much they are spending, tap, tap, tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

I prefer to use a card but if buying or selling used stuff on adverts or DD it has to be cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Because overspending when drunk never happened in the pre contactless days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

How do you spend cash you don't have in your pocket. OK so if you take out far more than you need but thats a choice you can make while still sober.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Pint and 20 Major and the change of a tenner used to be the drill years ago.

And you were doing so well with the creative writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, I do know that I regulated my drink spending MUCH better before I started using the card in boozers, that's for damn sure. In fact, pre Covid, my two nearest locals didn't even have card machines, and there's one near us that still doesn't.

These days I look at my bank balance and it's shocking sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

So, it’s either another tax on rural Ireland or it’s all part of the WOKE(all caps) conspiracy?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

A venn diagram of cash lovers and tax evaders would be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find those who a slow to pay with cash are even worse with a card.

It takes them ages to put in a pin code.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't trust relying on cards when abroad, I will always bring enough cash to sustain myself for a week. Had 2 bad experiences while in Ireland with 2 banks having zero ATM service over entire weekends a few years back due to IT failures, if I had been abroad I would have been fookled and needing to go down the Western Union begging bowl route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

@Count Dracula @elperello ... beaten to it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The fifty euro gets eaten up in merchant and transaction fees as it gets cycled through the system.

Again as I've said there are situations where cashless is more beneficial but if you pay by cash to a small business it is likely they will spend that cash on suppliers and bills etc, it is of more value to them.

You might want to review your maths there, even if the business is paying as little as one percent in transaction fees (which is unlikely in all cases) that is a fifty cent charge on the fifty euro. If that business then goes and spends the 49.50 via card transaction, there's a 49.5 cent charge on it and so on and so on. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Yep, there are charges for depositing cash but depending on the business they don't necessarily deposit it. Charges for depositing cash are a tool used by banks to force people into cashless which is obviously far better for their profit margins.

Advertisement