Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's 100% V. There is a girl called Elizabeth in it who is half human half alien and the aliens are reptilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Australian movie i saw on video circa 1991, comedy set around horse racing, possibly had some romantic sub plot. I remember a bit where a jockey says to his rival after a race "your horse has got two arseholes and you're one of them" whereupon the guy punches him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭CPTM

Is there a movie which has a scene of an old guy taking a micro-cassette audio tape in a steel nutcracker before cracking it open like a nut? The tape was very small, slightly bigger than a 2 euro coin.. it's a distant memory so I'm guessing a movie from the 90s but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

This is one I saw years ago on TV.

It was a comedy about these college kids who are trying to invent a laser that can shoot holes in solid objects. Eventually they succeed in building the laser.

While they're inventing the laser they start skipping lectures and leave a tape recorder recording in a seat so they don't miss the lecture. More and more students start doing this and eventually the lecturer is lecturing to a room full of tape recorders set to record.

What on earth is this film called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

European possibly french or Belgium film about a young girls experience at school and bullying

I saw a trailer for it few months ago, it looked compelling as hell. I know it was released in Ireland/UK in 2022 but can't find it on film classification boards lists. All I remember are scenes of under 10 year old girl looking sad, her brother rejecting her in school and being isolated on the playground

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Fairly certain the movie you're looking for is Playground (Un Monde) 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 STrent

Hi everyone!

I need your help to find a specific movie for my best friend. As a child somewhere around the end of the 80's or the beginning of the 90's he saw a certain scene on TV that scared the hell out of him back then and he still remembers it to this day. Unfortunately he doesn't know what movie or TV movie it was and even years later when he saw that scene again, he didn't memorized the title :D

So here are all the infos we have in regard to that movie:

- The scene: In a modern day city setting a guy (real person) enters a dark room - perhaps a factory or a (storage) hall - and after a few minutes little (perhaps 1,5 feet / 50 cm tall) red winged devils or demons animated in stop-motion (!) start to fly around him while bugging him at the same time.

- From his second encounter with this scene my friend remembers that the movie was some sort of a silly horror comedy, which confused him a little cause that wasn't what he had experienced back in the 80's or 90's :D Also back then it ran during the afternoon which means it can't be harder than a PG-13 movie.

- Regarding the scene it reminds me very much of the "Jim Henson's The Storyteller" episode "The Soldier and Death", but he says it's not it.

We already tried a few things to find it, but so far nothing led to the right movie. Perhaps you guys know which movie it could be, cause after I had the chance to relive my childhood trauma "The Gate" a few years ago it's now finally time for him to relive his too :D

Thanks in advance, all the best and cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I thought it was a movie with Tcheky Karyo (but couldn’t recognise it on IMDB) or maybe Jackie chan or somebody with some martial arts skill. It may be a foreign movie but I can vaguely remember the end.

Its something like there was a dirty cop chasing a guy (think the hero) and at the very end of the movie the cop is in his office. I think the hero was hiding or something and he does this martial arts move (like at the end of kill bill) where he touches certain points on the baddies body and he starts to die. The baddy starts ceasing up and blood comes out of his nose and he dies I think a horrible death from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Help with this one please. Russell Crowe is pretending to be on the phone while parked in a convertible. There's a lady near by on the street some where, and he knows she can hear him. He says "sign that for 7 million". And if I recall correctly, she confronts him and tells him that she knows there's no one on the phone. They later have a date... on a boat I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

No. I've seen that too though. Unless it wasn't Russell Crowe. I can't seem to find anything on him that matches with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don’t know if this is from a movie or a TV series.

The police have a suspect in a murder and the lead detective gets a confession in the police station by speaking sympathetically with the suspect while holding his hand and he even kisses him at one stage. I think he even has his shirt off.

I think it was in the introduction for the lead character and the case was not part of the crime that the story was about.

That could be Kiss of the Dragon.

Tceky Kayro is the corrupt French police detective and Jet Li is the hero cop over from Hong Kong to help with a case.

It is a French film but as far as I remember most of the dialogue is English.

I don’t know if this is a movie or TV show but one character is telling another how getting hit on the head is serious matter and that characters who get hit on the head (especially multiple times) would be dead or at least suffering from brain damage.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No, the film is an action comedy because the person being told the statement is hitting people on the head repeatedly.

• Advertisement

French film from circa late 70s/early 80s about a prostitute. Pretty sure it was set in Paris. One scene had her and another girl, who was black or mixed race, robbed by two clients. One of these guys was the spitting image of uk comedian Eddie Large. Later the criminal gang who are pimping her catch up with the two guys and they force them at gunpoint to strip and one of them to suck the other guy off. There was another scene where the girl is banging her head against a window from inside her apartment, people out on the street stop and stare and then the glass shatters.

I was asked to inquire about this - none of it is familiar to me.

an American comedy most likely from the 1980s. A businessman/inventor and his wife are constantly fighting. He creates or discovers a medical device that will make him a fortune. He does some underhanded business to make it look like he is bankrupt so the wife will divorce him and once she is gone he will make his “comeback”. The wife discovers the scheme and uses the medical device in the husband in an attempt to kill him. He survives but the side effect is that he suffers outrageous spasms at the worst possible times.

There is a scene where he accidentally hits a blind woman in the street during a spasm. Every time he tries to say sorry she uses his voice to know where to beat him with her cane.

anyine know what the film could be

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

I actually know the name of the movie, but I think this is a suitable thread for this question. A few weeks ago I noticed a film called "A Surplus of Love" listed in the on-screen guide for one of the Virgin Media channels, with a short summary mentioning "orphan", "pickpocket" etc. When I selected the channel it turned out to be the 1948 version of "Oliver Twist". I didn't see the opening or closing credits so I don't know what title appeared on screen. But the only name for this movie that I can see on IMDB or Wikipedia or anywhere else is "Oliver Twist". There seems to be no mention anywhere of any alternate title "A Surplus of Love". Why did VM call it this in the listings for that day?

I think this is a movie but it could of been some tv show.

I want to say it has robin Williams in it as this character but I could be wrong.

The scene is basically a man being ushered into a bath, I think by 2 family members. Im not sure if the bath is really warm or he thinks it’s really warm but he gets really upset and I think screams as he’s being helped into the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Long shot, but is it that Brendan Fraser movie where he is a caveman? California Man.

Ha, no , good shout but it seemed like a serious movie/show where the person getting into the bath either had some sort of physical reaction (pain) probably because of a medical condition. They were crying, it was quite dramatic.

Must have been a mix up. Surplus Of Love sounds like a Yank sitcom, not one of the better known adaptations of one of Dickens most famous novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is it the movie "Jack"? Robin Williams plays a kid with rapid aging, so for the movie hes playing a 10 year old kid but he looks 40. I cant remember a bath scene specificly, but it could be the reason why he's so big but freaking out about taking a bath :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement