Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha love it D🤣

Yes my point exactly, it could have happened 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

the things people say to try to win post of the year 🙄

A, that thought never entered my mind👀🤔🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m cracking up laughing! I read AMK’s post on Skyblue’s log first and wondered what that was about 😂

Quite a vivid imagination I have apparently 🤷🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lazare

Absolutely brilliant. I'd also read AMK's post and wondered.

Quite a while since I posted... This is just a small update, will hopefully start logging regularly in the New Year as I have just started a half marathon plan for Bohermeen!

I seem to have completely lost my mojo for all things running more or less since Dublin. I'm not sure if it's grief related (defo feels to be hitting harder this year) or if it's just life feeling tough right now but I am glad to be still out running consistently. I have had a good year with my running & for that I am extremely grateful. I am hoping this new focus on my new plan will bring back my mojo & confidence. One thing that defo helped was the run @skyblue46 organised in the park last Sunday. It was great to just run & chat with fellow boardsies & hopefully it's something that might happen on a regular basis.

For now I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas & Peaceful New Year🎅🎄❤️

Ps I hope santa is very good to you all☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Good to see you back. Yeah running solo certainly doesn't help. I'd be surprised if solo runners don't have more dips in mojo that most.

Not surprising its hitting you hard again. Christmas is a tough time for remembering friends and family that have passed. Hope you're OK and enjoy the Christmas as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yeah I'd echo everything P has said. Solo running, day after day, in crappy enough weather, is not the easiest. I also think it's also normal enough to have a dip after a big target event like DCM which gave you a clear focus for quite a while. It's a good time to have that dip, no harm to let the body and mind recover & rejuvenate and you'll hit the ground running in the New Year no doubt. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, mind yourself x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Keep the chin up E, remember all the good times those can never be taken away.

Great to get a little run in with you guys on Sunday.....oh a the cake and coffee afterwards were top notch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

E, I'm sorry to read that you are going through a tough time. Judging by last Sunday, I'd say you were in excellent shape but I know all too well there's also the inner turmoil that can get in the way of so much, whether it's running related or stuff going on in your life.

Perhaps once you get into the routine of a new plan, it might just be the very thing to help you get a bit of perspective on things.

Running solo can be a drag - I've done it for the best part of four years - but there are still ways to get enjoyment out of your running, even when you don't have company. Something that was recommended to be a while back was to try and change your running routes from time to time. You may have already done this, but in new surroundings, it definitely helped me when I felt like I was stuck in a rut and it's still something I try to do as much as I can.

Keep doing what you're doing, I have no doubt that 2023 will bring even more success. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Completely identify with that, E - post marathon blues are normal anyway but combine with a family loss and Christmas approaching, it's a lot to deal with.

Running with others is definitely so much easier but not practical for daily runners, so I think the vast majority of us do most of our runs solo. It's something that has to be managed and like coogy I like to mix it up as much as possible with different routes, different times of day. At the moment though the only thing getting me out is the prospect of missing my annual target, but whatever works.

Enjoy Christmas and your family.

Log of the Year (again?). Many congrats.

Up to anything interesting training-wise?

Thanks a mill D & well done yourself 😁

I'm a few weeks into a plan for Bohermeen and I plan to run Raheny too. Hoping to update my log this week then back to weekly hopefully.

Hope all is good with you🤗

Lots to catch up on so apologies for this being quite long & fair play if anyone finishes it😉

Firstly I'll do a quick recap of 2022!!

The year started out less than ideal, got Covid really badly over Christmas & was only back running from the 8th of Jan. Started off slowly with some easy miles but then had to stop mid run one day due to a pain in my knee. Physio visit on the 18th Jan meant rest, exercises then a very gradual return to running. As a result I missed Raheny, Trim & then Bohermeen(was gutted) but it was the right thing to do. Got back running regularly towards the end of Feb feeling very grateful.

Got a notion in my head after building my fitness back up & feeling in a good place, that this was my year to break mins for 5K! Depending on who you ask some would say I'm determined but others would say stubborn😅 Either way it took 3 attempts to finally reach that goal & I can honestly say what a feeling it was💛

Bob Heffernan - 17th May - 20:23 (PB) Fooked this race up at the start but was so happy I held on after such a very fast 1st mile.

Patrick Bell 5K - 3rd June - 20:11 (PB) Race went ok

Leixlip 5K - 1st July -19:33 (PB😁) This was the perfect race!

Was thrilled to finally have my sub 20, I still pinch myself & wonder how it all just fell into place, defo my most favourite race of the year!

Frank Duffy 10mile - 20th Aug - 1:12(PB) A tough day, managed a PB but in fairness my previous one was very soft

Rathoath half - 10th Sept - 1:33(PB) Another race that just went so well on the day, a tough finish but felt so strong & consistent all the way through.

DCM 22 - 30th Oct - 3:24 (PB) A bit meh initially but when I thought about it & seen other results I ran a good consistent race. Also raised money for 2charities close to my heart AsIAm & Jigsaw.

Looking back over the year I ran almost 1,900 miles which was good considering the start I had to the year. Very proud of my running year & feeling a lot more positive about the running year coming😊

Bohermeen Training Plan WK 1

Mon 19th Dec - Rest

Tues 20th - W/U, 3*13mins@Hour pace off 3mins, C/D

Weds 21st - 40 Easy

Thurs 22nd - W/U, 55mins Easy/Moderate, C/D

Fri 23rd - 30 Easy

Sat 24th - 60 Easy

Sun 25th - Rest

WK 2

Mon 26th - 1hr Easy

Tues 27th - W/U, 5*1 mile@10k effort off 3mins, 4*150m strides off 90secs, C/D

Weds 28th - 45 Easy

Thurs 29th - W/U, 60mins Easy/Moderate, C/D

Fri 30th - 30 Easy

Sat 31st - W/U, 2*8mins@Hour pace, off 3mins, 2 min jog, 15mins@HM pace, C/D

Sun Jan 1st - 95min Easy

WK 3

Mon 2nd - Rest

Tues 3rd - W/U, 17mins@Hour pace, off 4mins, 2*13mins@Hour pace off 3mins, C/D

Weds 4th - 45min Easy

Thurs 5th - W/U, 65mins Easy/Moderate, C/D

Fri 6th - 12*45sec hills, jog rec.

Sat 7th - 30mins Easy

Sun 8th - 75mins easy, 15mins HM, 20mins Easy.

I will get back to writing about each run etc next week when it doesn't feel so long. Overall my training is going in the right direction thankfully. Not as much EIM for this block, mainly because I think I need to feel hurt again. My confidence has slipped but I am gradually building it back up. I also feel along with S that different stimuli are needed right now for my training. I am thankfully enjoying my running again after a huge dip which happened just after DCM. Maybe my stubbornness is a good thing because I ran even when I really didn't feel like it but looking back I am so glad I did.

I have read everyone's logs & just didn't get around to replying to them individually but well done to you all for some great running in 2022 & let's hope 2023 is just as good if not better😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great stuff E and great to see you back logging. A lot to take from that update and anyone reading should take note.

A year which started with Covid and a knee injury culminated in three successive 5k PBs , a 10 mile PB, a HM PB and the ultimate prize, a Marathon PB.

Also seeing you manage the ups with the downs. We all have them, more often than we might let on. The secret to running success is riding those waves and not getting too high with the ups nor too low with the downs.

A brilliant example of persistence (or stubborness) and not panicking and just keeping the show on the road. Brilliant as always. Anyone going through a drop in mojo or an injury, don't panic and read that post AGAIN!

By the way a sub 20 5k is no joke and you are capable of faster, whether you believe that or not.

Will follow the shift away from EIM with interest.

@Swashbuckler says it so well that there is really not a lot left to say!

Fair play on a great year from a challenging start. You showed a great attitude and work ethic throughout the year whether things were up or down.

Best of luck & enjoyment with the new training approach, on paper it looks quite Luke-esque (always a good thing). Hope it's a great year for you on every front 😊

Post edited by ariana` on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wow, when you see it summarised like that it really hits home what a fantastic year you had. Fair play for tipping away when it was tough going during the post marathon period - you're nicely set up for 2023 as a result. Good to see you back logging as well 😊

Thanks so much for the kind words, I love the support around here ❤️

As @Swashbuckler said we all have the highs & lows, all part of running & life really! Looking forward to hopefully more highs this year😊

• Advertisement

Great year, E, don't know why your confidence has taken a hit when every race was a PB - just goes to show how high your standards are. And that 5k time is really outstanding, definitely the fastest women's 5k in many a year among Boardsies. You'd probably have to go back to the likes of @claralara to see a faster one. Definitely the best performance of the year!

You've built up a huge reservoir of strength, will really stand to you this year.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Thanks a mill D, I guess we can be our own worst enemies at times.

Looking forward to the year ahead😊

I am with Denis that 5k time was a real standout amongst all the performances logged last year. Sub 20 who are ya? Aboutlely blew that out the park.

Maybe it's not a confidence thing maybe just a sorta "meh" feeling after the marathon, it takes up so much of our time and efforts. Sometimes we just have to get back to the fundamentals of why we run get out and enjoy it, everyone has enough other stuff going on without putting ourselves under pressure with running.

That being said you have already achieved so much and there is a lot more there to come aswell "dream big, work hard and achieve your goals" as you so eloquently put it.

See you for a run and a coffee soon hopefully.

Mon 9th - Rest

Tues 10th - 45 mins easy

Got out for this at lunchtime, god the weather was awful, so bloody windy!

Weds 11th - W/U, 6*0.5mile@5k, off 90secs, 4*150m strides off 1min, C/D

Again another lunch run. Weather was still crap with a rain thrown in. Decided to do this on the nice tarmac path loop in Fettercairn. Enjoyed it!

Thurs 12th - 30mins easy.

Fri 13th - 45 easy or 3*1k eim

I decided to do the 3*1k eim reps as I feel like they add some well needed variety to a vanilla run. I'm not a huge fan of just running easy runs so it's really nice to have these as an alternative😊

Sat 14th - 15mins easy, 20mins HM, 5mins easy, 15mins HM, 10mins easy

Running around Tallaght in the strong winds this week were getting to me so I decided to head to the PP for this & my OH & grandson decided to accompany me. They headed off after I parked on the Furze & I set off. After the easy bit I settled into the HM bit, I eased into it & got myself into a nice rhythm, easing off the efforts a bit on Chesterfield & around by the OS but then could pick it up a bit for the other bits. It felt good to be running consistently & being able to judge my efforts a bit more than I may have in the past. Met my OH & grandson in the visitor centre where he really enjoyed a hot chocolate💛.

Sun 15th - 11 Miles easy run in the PP

This was the Boards meet up run. There was a nice group of us. We set off with C deciding on a last minute route. Was nice to chat to everyone as we ran moving along with different people for different sections. Discussing running targets, shoes, experience etc, was lovely just getting to know people. A fair bit of banter too, although I think the rules need to be highlighted that if you are in a group & something is said about a group that you are not in then it should NOT be repeated to said group😉 Other than that a very enjoyable run with some tea, scones chats & laughs back in the visitor centre. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking of joining along.

Mon 16th - VO2 Max test

I went to Health Matters in Tallaght for this & really pleased with the whole process overall. I was very nervous & not a fan of threadmills anyway but Sean(who was performing the test for me) was very friendly & reassuring. Once I settled into it I actually kinda enjoyed it.

My score came out at 54 which is in the superior range( yes I went straight home & told everyone who would listen that I am indeed superior😂) My Anerobic Threshold came in at 167bpm.

There was lots of other science stuff that we went through but I wouldn't be great at trying to explain it. After speaking with S about the results I think it confirms I have been training correctly. I have always had faith in S & his training that he gives me & this just confirms that. We have tweaked one or 2 things with my 1k reps etc but only slightly, overall they were being done in the right zones.

I think ultimately it has given me the little boost I need right now & anything that can help me in a positive way is gladly welcomed at this stage.

Tues 17th - W/U, 10mins@threshold, 5 easy, 6*2mins@10k off 90secs, 4easy, 13mins@HM, C/D

So after my new found knowledge I ran the threshold part based on my HR(161 - 167) I eased into it as I have in the past tried to get it up too fast then it would be too hard to keep it in the zones. I tried to stay steady at around 164/5 to give me leeway for the bits uphill & into the wind. It went really well so I was happy going into the 10k reps. Kept these very controlled & felt more & more confident as the session went on. Finished off with the HM section & broke it down into laps for myself(in the fettercairn tarmac loop) this really helped mentally & it went by quickly enough. Overall I was very pleased with this session, it felt hard but a controlled hard!

Weds 18th - 40 recovery run.

Absolutely freezing out, a snood amongst a lot more was worn today. Stuck on my Aslan playlist. So sad to hear that Christy is now receiving palliative care at home. I have been a huge fan for over 20 years now & been to so many gigs, he is just the most passionate performer, always fascinated watching him on stage in his bare feet & how he would tell the story of each song with his hand movements. As one of his songs says, in so many peoples eyes he is a working class hero💛

Rules have been noted 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I quite appreciated the reporting of insubordination in the ranks 🤣

The whole lot of them couldn't wait to rat on me👀🤣

Where I'm from snitches get stiches 🫣😉🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Delighted to hear you got a boost from the VO2 Max test and the confirmation of your superiority, I'm sure S was quick to tell you that it was never in doubt 😉 Cracking training going on too, some juicy HM & Threshold runs there.

Advertisement