Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

That’s been going on for a good few Saturdays now. What they are trying to achieve only they know.

Not sure were they ever in the town centre, but I do recall them outside McLoughlins.

Edit: the junction You mention is woeful even before these protestors came along. The queue for McD’s can hold up almost the entire junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It the racist shower from lakeside that are protesting against Ukranians being put in modular homes.

They of course use such excuses as "school places", "flooding", but it is pure racism/xenophobism from the lakeside people

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

McDonalds moving the entrance to the drive through closer the road didn't help matters .

On a separate note , I believe there were a large number of cars broken into last night - College Farm, Roseberry Hill and White Oaks were estates that were mentioned. Not a nice thing to wake up to on a Sunday morning .

Yes, I also just heard about the break-ins. Apparently, the incidents occurred in RH, Rosconnel, Station Walk, the estate beside Sarsfields, and the Meadows just to name a few.

I'm not doubting You here, but are You certain it's who You say it is?

• Advertisement

Yes, the badly written placards they had was "against modular homes" IMO the Ukranians are very lucky not to have to live beside these people - most of whom have been on benefits all their lives and never contributed to society

So, badly written placards determines a person’s trait?

Right🙄

answer this truthfully -

If the modular homes were for people on the local housing list - do you think there would have been even a hint of a protest?

I'll answer that - Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭Damien360

I promise you there would be a protest. Modular homes are a joke. Overpriced and nothing more than a sticky plaster. The site is completely unsuitable. I’m not far from there and know it well.

Regardless of modular homes or permanent homes, there is no infrastructure going along with any building.

New estate built on the flood plain. Can you see the problem coming?

No upgrade to wastewater plant or to mains supply. No new schools. Have you spotted the community pool in Newbridge, nope, neither did I. The community centre is an adult gym for two floors except for half a basketball court. And that’s unusable for ball games of any sort. What about crèches ? No, nothing new there. New road to take away traffic that’s been promised since before last bust, nope.

Do you live in this town and have you any pride for it and its inhabitants who what the best for it and themselves.

Do you pay tax and are you happy with your taxes getting raided for wasteful vanity projects.

Are you stupid enough to think that Ukrainians were going to be housed there (they wouldn’t stay in that) when it was more likely Georgians and Albanians who are fleeing the war that is not happening in their country.

Do you notice the town has a entire hotel taken over for refugees living there for years on end. That is also who was going highly likely to be housed in the modular homes. People with little or no education, that will not speak the language, that will contribute nothing to society and this town.

Newbridge is a dumping ground for everything and everyone and has inherited loads of drug users who were never from the town. Again without supports unless you count the numerous family drug dealers who are delighted with the new business.

We are fast becoming the new Tallaght.

You answer your own question with your own answer. Of course there would have been a protest. There already has been. That waste of vote SF invisible TD was jumping on the bandwagon a couple of months ago.

Yes, Newbridge has unsociables but so has every single other city/town/village throughout the country, or at least we are led to believe.

You seem to blame the drug dealing and ASB on those protesting outside McD’s on one estate. There is good and bad everywhere.

Damien, while I agree with You about the infrastructure or total lack of, and school places, doctors etc, I think You are going a bit overboard comparing us to Tallaght.

Our elected TD’s are (except imo Cathal Berry ) practically invisible.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Advertisement

I agree with a lot of what you say , but in the last couple of years there has been a very obvious deterioration in the Newbridge town environs . I take no glee in saying that and certainly wish it was not the case. I feel many of the contributing factors were made at local government level - You only have to look at the mess that was made of the main street . Then only last week it was announced many of Kildare towns will have free public carparking for the month of December - Newbridge is not included. This happens at a time when so many small businesses are struggling and need the footfall for Christmas to enable them to survive . We could talk about the ongoing problems on the Curragh Plains etc etc .........

watch what happens in the towns with free parking - the free spaces will be full by 10 am and the same cars will be there at 5pm.

Any decent business absolutely HATES free parking. I managed a business in Watford many years ago and they introduced free parking on Saturdays. Business dropped immediately as there was no parking available as all the staff and people using the train to go elsewhere used the spaces. Within 3 weeks it was cancelled.

Naas seem to have it right - some free parking, but all the prime spaces that are used by shoppers who prefer to pay €1 than spend 20 minutes searching for a space, are still being charged for.

But blanket free parking is a business killer and has been proven time and time again to be such. Liffey Valley is a classic example, retailers are reporting increase in trade since parking charges were introduced as shoppers can now park near the doors and don't have to park 500m away past all the staff cars and cars of workers in Dublin who get the bus and left their cars there

Newbridge SME'S badly need a boost this Christmas in light of escalating operational costs. They pay enough Rates to the Council so surely a limited number of weeks where customers can get something to entice them into the town should be viewed in a positive light .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

"We are fast becoming the new Tallaght" I am from Tallaght and live in Newbridge. Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this statement? Personally, I don't see any similarities with Tallaght at all. First of all Tallaght has a lot more amenities than Newbridge e.g. the luas, Dublin Bus, Tallaght hospital, a university, enough Doctors/dentists/schools etc

If you mean social housing? The only accommodation being built in Tallaght at the moment are 13 storey apartment blocks. I don't see any 13 storey apartment blocks being built in Newbridge.

Loads of houses being built but almost no supporting infrastructure upgrade.

Crazy, & dreading the traffic in town over the next month.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can anyone recommend someone to install an external saorview aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How do ye feel Frasers is getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭NedNew2

Yes, anyone can do this. There are no moral, legal or cost implications that I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I happened by chance to get off the train from Dublin to Kilkenny in Newbridge a few months back. Never been there before. Station seemed grim with no services and so walked to the centre of town thinking to have a breakfast somewhere. About 10 ish am. Nothing open ..but being Sunday am maybe that was the problem?. Lotta dereliction evident. Waited for a bus back to Dublin. Loads of migrant young men on the bus back. Sign of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Most of the cafés are not open on Sunday.

However The Market Kitchen in Michael Murphy's furniture shop does open on a Sunday - from 10.00am. Does a great fry.

I haven't ventured in there yet - mainly because of the negative feedback I've heard. The poor relation of Debenhams is how it was described. How did you find it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To me it was like the expensive section in some SportsDirects USC I think it's called. With some extra brands. Also they had a homewares section and cosmetic counters. They'd want to have a good sale I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭chancer007

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Petermc83

Planning permission has been submitted by Aston Limited for the provision of approximately 790 metres of new Distributor Road, including a new bridge over the River Liffey, forming part of the Newbridge South Outer Orbital Road (NSOOR) linking the Great Connell Road to the section of the NSOOR permitted under ABP Reg. Ref. 30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The planning number is 221504, for anyone interested. A second bridge is badly needed. We'll have to wait to see how this fares...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DubSP

Hi everyone,

Me and my Partner are currently house hunting. I am pretty much settled on a nice Semi D in Ballymore, however my other half is very interested in the Station Walk Development in Newbridge.

We currently live in Dublin and have one car on its last legs. She works in Leopardstown and has to commute twice weekly, myself in D2 three times per week.

Has anyone got any advice on how Station Walk is like? How is Newbridge like as a place to live? I heard that Antisocial behaviour could potentially be an issue.

Lastly, does anyone have advice on the commute to Dublin?

Thanks all in advance

Hi

I’m from Newbridge & live in Roseberry Hill, which is right beside SW.

Firstly, I’m not sure who is telling You porkies, SW is still being built, so how anyone can say there is potentially an AS behaviour issue? I’m really annoyed at this as who knows just what is down the road in years to come.

Secondly: Your car is on its last legs? The train station is a 5 minute walk from SW. there are trains to Grand Canal I believe ( I drive for a living so don’t use the trains). So You won’t have a problem for work.

Your Wife hmmmm, I know there is the blue coaches ( I think they are Aircoach ) which services the Hotel in Central Park, which is in Leopardstown. But I have no idea where/which train station they service, if any. Sorry I cannot be more help on that count. There is also the Dublin Coach which travels down Main Street which calls into The Luas in Red Cow, perhaps there is a Leopardstown service from there. Only thing about DC, they are not the most reliable. There is also the option of train to Dublin, then Luas to Her destination area.

Newbridge is a great town but perhaps BE is too, but I don’t know. One thing I do know about BE, it’s serviced far less by public transport & I wouldn’t advise relying on a car on its last legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DubSP

Thank you so much for your answer. I didn't mean to suggest that Station Walk had issues of Antisocial behaviour - I had heard Newbridge Town had these issues. As we're currently living in Dublin City Centre we're really looking for a more quiet life after 6 years there.

After what you've said it seems like we'll have to give Newbridge more thought

Advertisement