Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend screen to 2external monitors not working

Options
  • 15-12-2022 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Just bought a new HP laptop with windows 11. Basic laptop for general browsing. I ma having an issues getting it to extend to two external monitors. one works, the other doesn't.

Work set up

laptop & HDMI Display link. Two monitors are plugged into displaylink which is then connected to laptop.

Extend monitors works so I have three screens operating. 2 external monitors and laptop screen.

when I switch as the two laptops, with the new one I can only extend to one external monitor. Doing the monitor detect within display settings doesn't do anything.

I have performed windows updates and graphics drivers.

Now if I take the HMDI cable out from the Display link, for the monitor not working and plug into laptop. this works and I am able to extend to both monitors. This is fine but I would prefer to have the same as my work setup - both monitors connected via the display link (This is then connected to the laptop via USB-c)

Any ideas. Should be straight forward but hitting a wall with this one

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

a cheap hp may not support or be powerful enough to do that , put on full power profil update drivers etc

them cheap hps are not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Thanks - this is the model I purchased. Would have assumed its got enough juice for dual monitor display

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/hp-14s-fq1000na-14-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-256gb-natural-silver.html

Just looking can u get windows out of s mode -

hdmi is only 1.4 you need at least 2.0 really

have you tried connecting one using the usb-c port

funnily enough my old hp gaming laptop has stopped flickering after over a year !!

and seperatly finally found an audio driver that boosts the bang &olafson audio on windows 11

The DisplayLink is connected via usb-c. Two monitors hdmi connected to the displaylink and USB-connected to the laptop

Work laptop - this works perfectly

when I plug the usb-c into the new laptop only one screen appears (have gone through the usual steps of detecting a screen but it doesn't appear)

I can get around it by one monitor via HDMI and another monitor via the DisplayLink / USB-c but thats not my preferred config

The new laptop itself seems fine performance wise but very cheap feel from the keyboard etc but can't complain for the price and buying online / unseen

the usb c format is not likely a newer version of it - the cheaper hp laptops are cheaper builds - you could have gotten a lot better for that money tbh , i hear the tech tips girl on Newstalk recommending them for basic browsing etc you can get better builds for your money and i have come across a couple of hps

try unplug the hdmi see does the usb c work - go onto hp support see if there are any updated drivers or firmware to install

• Advertisement

Downloaded any drivers that needed to be updated. didn't fix the problem.

I have just plugged in the UCB-C (with the 2 monitors connected to the display link device) again only one monitor is active.

Bit a pain but I do have a work around. I would have assume either no monitors work or both but not just one. I'll just keep trying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Did you try one monitor connected to the HDMI and other to the USB C.

USB C varies enormously. You might want to read the manual and specs to see what the version on your laptop supports in terms of monitors.

some of the port specs do seem a bit poor on the machine id presume

From googling.

It ONLY has 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signalling rate port which does NOT support Alt mode nor Power Delivery. You can NOT use it to

1) Charge your machine

2) Connect to an external monitor with / without hub/dock/adapter

There maybe an incompatibility being the display link / hub and the USB C port. I tried a few Hubs and KVM units they were unreliable. They'd kind a work then have some problem or other.

• Advertisement

yeah that works and that's my work around but would prefer the neater solution of everything thought the USB C. My own fault for buying cheap, online and not paying much attention to the spec.

I'll prob just reinvest in the new year get something more substantial as this one feels cheep with a horrible plastic / loose keyboard.

thats why i Recommended people not to buy cheap hp

what do you guys use the 3 screen set up for ? trading ?

trading and day to day work. once you go three screens theres no going back

Advertisement