Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and saorview

Options
  • 22-11-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I've been in around the shops looking at the black friday offerings.

I've seen quite a few 4k HDR tvs..

But in Currys and DID all they will show you is the demo videos... which are all 4k HDR footage.. or game footage...

My TV watching is rugby on RTE , ie: saorview ( so two HD channels and a few SD channels), the english channels on the free satellite box (so a lot of not even HD) or the bit of netflix...

So I asked to see what saorview looked like on one of the LG's (for around €469) and the staff in both places said they couldn't do it.. and weren't interested in trying either.

I would be seriously p****ed off to get one of these new TVs home only to have a worse picture than I have at the moment with me 10 year old plasma...

I'm starting to wonder does standard TV look bad on these swanky new 4ks?

Anyone able to reassure me that the saorview channels look alright on their 4k tv?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

A non-HD channel on a low end 4k TV will look worse than your current plasma. No two ways about it. HD will upscale fine for the most part but I still wouldn't guarantee you'll be overly happy with the end result (especially for sport) on such a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

So, for watchin sport.. mainly rugby on RTE2 .. which is HD ... would I be better with a straight HD telly?

I had my eye on one of the 43" 4K LG's :

https://www.did.ie/lg-43-ultra-hd-4k-tv-43uj634v-prd

But I'm wondering would this be better for me:

https://www.did.ie/lg-43-full-hd-led-smart-tv-black-43lj614-43lj614-prd

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

HD stuff should upscale well. SD is more difficult.

You very possibly would be better off with a 1080P over 4k.
    I'm not an LG fan of either definition.

Just from the DID site i'd be more inclined to go with the Sony for a few extra quid. It has a HDR feature so is somewhat futureproof. I'm guessing you could shop around for a better deal on that too.

Yeah, the sony would have been great.. I'd have wanted to go to around 800 for the sony with the android tv bit..

But we've a few other things on the shopping list too...

So I went with this:
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uj701v-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343183/409.5

Based on reading a few articles like :
    https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-tvs-arent-stupid-anymore/

I reckoned a 2017 telly should be some way decent.. the more recent the model etc..

It'll do us for a few years and then when OLED gets reasonable we'll go that way..

Ok,
    So just to say, I got the LG tv last night and am really impressed with how it looks.
    RTE 1 & 2 are HD and look brill.. (remember I'm coming from a pre-HD telly to this 4k one) .. the other channel are perfectly watchable..
    I'm a bit confused about Tv3 cos I didn't think it was HD but its crystal clear as well...
    RTE news now is a funny mix.. the graphics and all up the side are in focus but the main picture (of the newsreader or whatever) if definitely soft.. not HD anyway..

I'll be very interested to see what the rugby looks like in TG4 now... we're all outta rugby on RTE2 now till the six nations starts up...
    The ulster match on fri night will be on the beeb as well so I'll be able to watch that off the satellite.. ( I am embarassed to admit my surprise to open the box and realise this cool tv has a satellite tuner as well !! )

Then the connacht match on Saturday will be on TG4 .. so .. we'll see...

One thing I did notice was that the picture looked odd on the LG until I turned off eco mode.. it seemed to be.. I dunno .. fast...?? Like it was on +1.5 speed ?
    People seemed to be dashing around the place... Maybe it was dropping frames to save energy? I dunno..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

We have TG4 in HD, and that's the last of the channels as the two Mux are full. I could never see 4K transmission on saorview.

Advertisement