Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Closed: Off Topic general motoring is bad

Options
  • 18-12-2022 7:34pm
    Administrators Posts: 360 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: EVs are worse for the environment (the myth).

Mod Note: Removing the general discussion on private transportation, that's broader than the EV subforum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I've responded to a few comments. My comment was flippant and tongue in cheek. The thread has gone from EVs being worse for the environment (myth) to a full blown environmental thread with China coal and foreign products. Some posters make out that by changing your ICE car for an EV, the ICE car is no longer used and is wasted, when the truth is that the car is usually used to EOL. If another car is being added to the fleet, its better to be an EV, because it sure as heIl won't be a bicycle replacing it 99.99% of the time.

I have 2 EVs. 1 long rang for my commute and a short range EV used by my OH and our son for shorter journeys and commutes. I won't speak of the sacrifices made for choosing to go EV when short range was the only option south of 100k euro. It's been worth it for me and I have directly encouraged half a dozen people to go EV when they were changing car (usually to a used Leaf).

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 28,822 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If only there were other travel options for people other than private cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

in a lot of cases, there isnt, if public options are available, individuals simply dont have the time available to them to avail of them...

yes, but sometimes the public option simply isnt available, and if it is, it takes longer, the push for public will probably fail if these nuances aren't integrated into thinking, its simply not practical to push everyone out onto public, as doing so, could further elongate individuals already stretched days, further reducing their time to fulfill their needs, and their loved ones needs....it simply wont work, other radical polices such as the enforcement of the reduction of the working week would also need to be implemented, without the reduction in income....

• Advertisement

If people are actually seriously concerned about their loved ones needs, they'd want to be driving private cars less and using public and sustainable transport more.

once again, the public option sometimes isnt available, and if it is, it sometimes requires more time from the person themselves to use it, i.e. reducing time available to spend with loved ones!

Sometimes it isn't available, but it often is available, because public transport is focused on where the major populations live. But people are just comfy in their private cars and not prepared to consider change.

Oh there are indeed, sometimes. Take my options as an example. I usually drive to work taking the M50 for a portion of the route. It takes 45-60 minutes depending on traffic to commute around 35km leaving at 7am and again at around 4 or 5pm. I consider this to be at the very limit of what I am willing to spend on a commute. So lets say 10 hours per week.

I live in an urban area well services by bus routes and close to the train. I'm definitely in one of the better served areas for Public Transport. However, if I were to take public transport, I would have a couple of options. I could walk to the train station (about 15 min) and take a train to the city where I would catch a nearby bus to take me to within a 10 minute walk of my workplace. Another option is to take the bus 2 minutes from my house to a train station to take another bus which would leave me again within 10 minutes of my workplace which is considered to be very well serviced by public transport. I could also take a bus, walk for a while to another bus and eventually get to work.

The very best case scenario would see my commute time double. So I would be commuting 4 hours per day instead of 2. Or 20 hours per week instead of 10. If I work a weekend, it's even longer because of the reduced timetable. If a bus fails to show (and we know this is not rare), I am late for work. I would have to take such PT failures into account and leave even earlier, because management wouldn't take too kindly to frequent lateness. This would add additional time to my commute to work...easily an extra 3 hours per week. Incase you were wondering, cycling would take over 2 hours each way. Not feasible.

And this is for 2 well served areas with regards to PT. Indeed, if only we had other travel options. The private car is what works best here. It's practical, reliable and it doesn't go on strike.

Stay Free

...and try do the weekly shop, and move the kids around without the car!

• Advertisement

I'm comfy in my private car. Takes 10 minutes to get to work. Bus would take 2 hrs. Bike 30 minutes, if I hopefully have nothing to carry.

Not everyone is in my situation, but neither yours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement