Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinocchio (Guillermo DelToro) [Netflix]

Options
  • 27-07-2022 2:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

First trailer for DelToro's vision of Pinocchio, the film to drop in December sometime. This is more my idea of a reboot (if that can be said of a Public Domain work); give it to a genuine artistic creative to make something different of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

really like the look of that to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Looks beautiful, love the stop-motion style. Hopefully the story lives up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's Del Toro..... It's stop motion.... I have faith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh.. shots fired. Who's releasing first?

*googles*

Disney in September:

Netflix in November (guessing for a small cinema release to qualify for award noms)/December (guessing for streaming):

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Because one is yet another soulless Disney 'live action remake' cash in ...and the other looks like it might be genuinely worth your time!

This reminds of the last couple of Jungle Book adaptions, it was sad to see Andy Serkis version disappear without a trace given that it was 10 time the movie that the dismal John Favreau version was (which of course made neigh on a billion dollars for Disney). It's just bit sad that interesting and well crafted rarely seems to compete with bland and cynical at the box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Because one is yet another soulless Disney 'live action remake' cash in ...and the other looks like it might be genuinely worth your time!

I was gonna say this but I've already had a similar rant elsewhere. But yeah, one is a cash-grab and one is made with looooooove :D

Definitely with the Jungle Book, it felt like Disney got the first mover advantage.

With this though, del Toro might benefit from having Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An interesting Making Of dropped for this; looks really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lol, must be cr@p RT 27%/31%

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wrong film. Look again. That's the Disney remake you found.

That's right! This one is still at 0% 0% from 0 Reviews since it won't release until 09 December 2022 😁

Links in case anyone is looking later...

RT:

IMDB:

Wiki:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This is out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looking forward to reviews. If it's any use I might keep it for Christmas viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The trailer looks really good. I can see him getting all the Oscars for best cinematography

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Flicked through a few reviews and read Kermode's in the Observer, all sound very good. Looking forward to seeing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Good film, really couldn't fault it. Family friendly, but with a dark edge. Beautifully animated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Watched this with the Family the other night & we all loved it. Thought the stop motion animation worked really well and the voice cast were superb, in fact the whole thing was a total joy.

Last time I enjoyed an animated film this much was with Klaus a couple of years ago.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Found this pretty frustrating. I think del Toro is working in a lot of clashing tonal registers - musical, sentimental fairy tale, folk horror, anti-fascist fable - that didn't really come together for me. Some of it did work well - things like the creepy Blue Fairy were brilliantly realised, or how deep / dark it went when it came to portraying grief and mortality - and you can't fault the sheer craft that has gone into the thing. As ever, stop motion has a tangibility to it that makes it pop off the screen. But for all its good ideas it came across as just that to me... a bit of a jumble of different ideas that didn't make a satisfying whole, despite good intentions. Goes without saying it's still vastly preferable to another joyless Disney cash-in!

Granted, it's the latest in an ever-lengthening line of del Toro films that have left me cold - a filmmaker whose ambition I often admire but whose films routinely fail to spark for me. So there's absolutely a bit of 'not for me' here. But of the two big Netflix stop-motion efforts this year, I found Wendell & Wild to be the more successful and consistently-realised one (albeit still messy in its own way).

Advertisement