Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭event

Looking hansons up there online. Is the longest run 16 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Sandwell

It is. But it makes sense in the context of the plan. Have a read through the Hansons Method thread or grab a copy of the book if you're curious to learn more. Lots of people on here have used it to great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Can recommend the book - it has loads of info in it covering the plans (obviously) but also nutrition, s&c etc.

Yeah, I'd say it's probably the most readable of the well known training books that I've encountered. Daniels is very heavy going and Pfitz falls somewhere in the middle.

Cool. Ill read this 80/20 one, maybe test it on a 10k next year and see if I wanna move to Hanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I used a Bob Williams Sub 3 plan from Noakes' 'Lore Of Running'

I adapted it slightly for my 3:20 target, didn't do the monster long runs.

I really loved it, the structure was fantastic and incredibly simple.

It sounds like it had some similarities to Hanson. Six days a week with stuff on Tues and Thurs and a long run on Saturday.

Reps <800 were at 5k pace, 800, 1k and mile rep workouts at 10k.

Some Tempo and MP stuff too. The long runs were 30 - 40 secs slower than MP.

Every Mon and Wed were a 5 mile easy run, throughout the block. Rest every Friday.

Loved doing the long run on a Saturday, Sunday was always a short recovery jog. Meant I could relax and enjoy Saturday evenings.

I've done a Daniels plan before and the complexity of the workouts used to drive me nuts. Was a chore setting them up on the watch.

This time I could glance at the week ahead and know exactly where I was at, without needing to check back on it. Setting up the following day's workout took seconds.

Mileage topped out at 52.5.

I would highly recommend it.

Having said that, I'll be using Hanson for my next M block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I used Meno's plan also, having used it previously 4 years ago. I love the simplicity of it and the fact that I only run 4 days the majority of the weeks.

I felt fully prepared after it.

I can't comment on other plans though as have never used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Very interesting and as you mentioned has some similarities with Hanson.

I have all the major running books and Jack Daniels is the only one that I've had no interest in reading after glancing through it. It's seems way too technical.

On the issue of setting a work out on your watch. I purchased the Hanson Plan on Final Surge and that automatically sends the work outs to your watch with no fiddling around. Think it might have been $20 or so.

Post edited by Unknownability on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Jack Daniels isn't half as technical as one would think. The 2Q plan especially has lots of flexibility. Got me a sub 3 first time out but not without struggles on the day. (May be nothing to do with the plan)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Your marathon log demystified Jack Daniels for me. It does look like Greek at first glance and needs a bit of decoding but after that it's straightforward enough.

Haven't actually used any of the plans yet though although probably will pick out some 5k/10k plan once recovery after the current marathon block is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I recently finished 80/20 and maybe because of what I had read before I started, the plans didn't really interest me. While Hanson seems to be popular around here, I am only a couple of chapters into Daniels Running Formula. I signed up to a 10 mile in early March and at this moment plan on using one of the Daniels plans.

I am only running a year and just came though the boards novice marathon program. I've been toying with starting a log, and this might be the reason - help me figure out and follow through to something tangible using a more well known program.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I enjoyed reading the Jack Daniels book as it gives a lot of theory and science behind the running, why the target paces are important etc. The workouts make sense after reading the first half. He emphasises that its important to take the base plans and tweak as required for you own needs, rather than trying to have a one-size-fits-all type approach. The 2Q plans especially are super flexible and can fit into any crazy work schedule you might have.

There's also two things that people seem to miss when looking at the 2Q plans (I've seen a few reports on Reddit etc. where people have struggled with the plans after missing these in the book):

• You're supposed to start at VDOT-2 paces 18 weeks out, then move to VDOT-1 paces 12 weeks out, and finally VDOT target paces 6 weeks. Don't try running all the workouts at your target pace from day 1.
    • A number of workouts are flagged as optional. If you're not up for it on the day, its ok to replace them with easy runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That would have been a far better log title - Demystifying Jack Daniels. Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Daniels is a great book IMO - the guy is a giant of the sport, a highly esteemed sports scientist and an Olympic coach. Many other coaches (Pfitzinger, Hanson, Fitzgerald etc.) draw a lot on his theories and approach. Reading the book will stand to you, I think you train much better when you understand what each workout is trying to do, as this (eventually) gives you the confidence to adjust the plans to suit your own circumstances - something we all tend to do, but with vastly different levels of success!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Daniels is a legend, for sure, and for anyone wishing to train smart his theories and principles are pretty much vital.

I just hated being still up at 1am on a Tuesday entering all the Ts and Ms and Rs in the right order when I should have been asleep at 10 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hey folks, first-time poster on this thread (I think) and looking for a bit of advice.

Used the Boards Novices Plan in 2018 and the Graduates Plan in 2019, both doing exactly what I expected them to.

After DCM 2019, I went down the coaching route and had a tailored schedule sent to me every week for about a year and a half. Exactly how tailored it was, I couldn't say but I did make vast improvements in several distances.

As I've yet to follow any of the well known training plans that are mentioned in some of the posts above, I still feel like something of a novice in this area.

Now with my entry for DCM 2023 secured, it's time to start shopping around for a training plan. Am planning to to the Bohermeen half in March and perhaps a 10k or 10 mile later in the year before the marathon training kicks in. For the last couple of months I have been using the old plans I used when I had the running coach but with slight tweaks made to some of the session paces. Then I started wondering if I could do the same with the Boards Graduate Plan and adapt it to my current fitness.

I am aware that there are many different plans out there but I honestly don't know where to start looking or know which one would be most suited to me.

Would welcome anyone's thoughts on this!!

Post edited by coogy on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You would have made big gains from consistent training regardless of the plan or coach, and that should continue for a few years yet without you having to do anything particularly special. So I’d just be trying to find an approach with sessions you like doing. At a similar stage of my own ‘career’ I was into P&D but I don’t think it makes much difference as long as you get out there regularly and put in decent mileage at appropriate paces. It’s all about building that aerobic engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

As another fortunate enough to get a DCM entry for next year, I've also been looking at various plans and what might suit me (in truth I've been looking at plans for much longer than I've had a marathon entry 😉).

Over the last while I've come to realise what type of structure I curently like/need in a plan and will choose a plan accordingly.

I've noticed you seem to be enjoying a Sunday group long run recently - so maybe a plan that allows you to incorporate that group run each/most weeks should be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi A, yeah the hornet's nest of what plan to choose is always something that I come back to time and again. Especially when I see

As for what 'suits me' best, this is where the head-scratching begins as the plans I've followed over the last four years have been quite similar in terms of structure (running five out of seven days with two session days factored in). I don't think I'd be too keen to move away from this too much as it's easy enough for me to work into my daily routine. I think just knowing that there are so many different types of training plans out there is what's making me wonder if the one that I'm using is the 'right one' but as @Murph_D says above (thanks D!), getting the weekly mileage in, while running at appropriate paces is key.

The Sunday long runs with the group have been great too and the group I run with don't really have a set number of miles (minimum 10, some guys add on a few miles at the end depending on their own training) and you can do as many or as few as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I am doing Chicago in 2023.

Up to now my running has really been around club sessions when not in a marathon training block so no real goals to them

What do others do in their "pre marathon" training block? Looking at dates at the moment I could turn my existing mainaintace training into a base building block, followed by an 18 week half marathon plan and then a 18 week marathon plan? Does that sound reasonable or stupid?

My normal weekly mileage is around 30 miles which goes up to 50 for the marathon block

I'd only do the dedicated half marathon plan if you have a HM lined up and it's important to you to do well in it. Otherwise, just focus on base building for the first half of the year before starting the marathon specific block in June.

Chicago is a great event and for most of us a major undertaking in terms of expense, logistics and execution. It was my major focus last year and the whole year really was a build up to it. I wanted to justify the trip with a PB and there was a huge focus in the first half of the year on building aerobic conditioning - in other words, building up the mileage and lots of work just below the threshold - feel free to look at my log if you want the specifics (I was lucky enough to have a trusted friend, who is a fan of the Lydiard approach, give me a schedule and coach me through it).

If you have a more casual objective for Chicago, you might take a different path (maybe something like a 12-week 5k block in the first half of the year). The important thing is to have a mostly structured approach and an appropriate set of paces based on your ability - hopefully the challenging yet achievable end of that ability.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Thanks for that, I suppose building the base is a better idea.

Your log is very interesting, you do quite a bit of mileage! It makes for interesting reading.

So for any of us here, how did the year go and plans for next year?

My year overall went pretty well.

In May I moved by Half PB from 1:38 to 1:33. Then in September it went from 1:33 to 1:32.

In October I moved by Marathon PB from 3:41 to 3:39

In November I moved by 10k PB from 42:33 to 40:50. And in the same race I reduced by 5k PB by 2s.

No huge targets for next year, think I am going to do Cork but it will be with a mate who is running his first and looking to go sub 4, Ill run with him.

Then I have an entry for Dublin but that isnt a PB course IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

My year went well up until the last 5 miles of Dublin 😂. Boston was won't be forgotten, a tough run but I at least expected it.

5m PB in June 34:19 I think.

10m PB in August 71:xx which I then beat during the Dublin HM, crossing the 10m in just over 69 mins.

HM PB from 1:34:59 to 1:31:25 in September.

PB'd the first 20 miles of Dublin before crashing to earth!

Next year: London in April. Plan (PD this time I think) starts officially next week but realistically I won't get into it until after Christmas. I have an entry for Donedea again in February, but I may scrap that as I really want to target 3:20 for London. DCM next year will be run for fun, I've had enough of struggling in that one. I'm in for Ecotrail 80k in September, but will see how the training goes in the summer and will drop down to the 46k if I don't feel ready.

Great progression there - focusing on marathon and training properly will see you blow that 3:39 out of the water, as you should be closer to 3:20 with that HM time. So Dublin can certainly be a PB course for you if you want it!

A perfect year for me really. No injuries and my highest ever mileage at roughly 2200 miles for the year. It was the second full year of consistent training after a few years of doing very little running due to a litany of injuries so the base was pretty good heading into 2022.

I brought my 5k time down from 16:47 to 16:41 in May and then got it down to 16:29 at Jingle Bells a couple of weeks ago. This is probably my favourite distance so I plan to focus on lowering it further in the first half of next year. The goal would be sub 16, I guess, but I'm a long way off that at the moment.

I had a couple of attempts at improving my 10k pb and managed to get that down to 35:58 in April. There's still lots of room for improvement there.

I cut a minute or so off my 10 mile PB in July, taking it to around 57:30.

I ran mid 1:18 for the half in Mullingar in March and then got down to mid 1:17 in Tullamore in August during my marathon block.

The main focus of my year was the Amsterdam marathon and that couldn't have went any better as I hit my A goal of sub 2:45, running mid 2:44 which took a big chunk off my previous PB of 2:57 (although that was from 2016 so before supershoes).

I'm signed up for Berlin 2023 where I'd be optimistic of getting into the 2:3x range if I can get another year of solid mileage behind me. Before that I'll be focusing on lots of 5-10k stuff and a bit of cross country and I'll shift the emphasis to longer stuff in late spring and try and roll from a half marathon block into a marathon block as I did this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭winstonia

Think I'll do Manchester in April. Not sure which plan to follow. Aiming for a 30min pb at 8min miles. We shall see. It will be 3rd marathon and first one trained for properly. 1200k ran this year so aiming for 12 week training block

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Does anyone have any preference for 12 week over 18 week plans? I've always gone for 18 week, but I'm wondering if I was in better shape for the Dublin HM this year, 6 weeks before DCM.

• Advertisement

Like everything, it depends. If you already have the base, a 12-week sharpening block is good enough. If you don’t (or if the base you have is not very marathon specific), go for the full monty 17-18 week programme.

It’s good to be critical when evaluating that base. Do you train well? Are your training paces appropriate? If not, maybe better to go back to the basics and the longer plan.

Advertisement