Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I'm debating do the same, I've done Manchester in 2021 and really enjoyed it.

We stayed in Holiday Inn Express TRAFFORDCITY and flew home straight after it.

The hotel was grand we got a taxi to the start line which was maybe 15 mins away. The breakfast was exactly what we needed.

It's based in the car park of Trafford Centre, where there are hundreds of restaurants we went with pizza and then into the cinema.

Expo was the Saturday, it was only after Covid so couldn't really give a fair judgment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭event

What's the attraction of Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

Flattest Marathon in the UK apparently also the 2nd biggest outside of London in the UK and up there with some of biggest attendance in Europe. Seems like a good enough reason to do it imo.

Plus I might run it in a Liverpool shirt 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Not much to recommend, the marathon is amazing, Manchester is amazing but the mitre hotel( were we stayed this year) - Fawlty towers on steroids . Do not book. Public transport is very good so don't worry if your not smack bang in the city. You'll love it. The expo was one table with a few hats and a half empty hoka stall. Nothing of note

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Manchester is supposedly fast and flat....know a couple of lads from my club that specifically went there to successfully run sub-3.

I'm not sure when/if I'll do another marathon tbh....the thoughts of another training block makes me feel queasy now tbh.

I made a decent-ish improvement I guess (3:24 in 2019 to 3:16 yesterday) but I think to go beyond that I'd probably need to push on considerably in terms of mileage and cutting more corners with family activities etc.

Not sure if I'm prepared to do that in the short to medium term but I have a bunch of targets over shorter distances that seem achievable so that should keep me busy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Short hop across the water, so plenty of travel options. Solid public transport options from the airport to the city center and easy to get around, good Pb route. Probably a bonus if your a Manchester footie fan! Decent shopping options if you have to please the other half with the trip!

Did it myself and enjoyed it. Good support around it (although pales in comparison to Dublin mind you) so I’ve got fond memories!

As for hotel recommendations, I stayed in the newest Motel One in St. Peters Square (I think) which is literally outside the tram line that takes you down to Trafford (there are a few other options with them). Liked the hotel myself, even if they didn’t have hot breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Jesus, yiz have me thinking about attacking a BQ at Manchester here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭woody1

Ran 3.46 all was going well up to 30k ish even ran a couple of half decent kms after that.. was on for 3.34 but the writing was on the wall too and once 3.30 something was gone i didn't really care ...from 30 to the end I walked the water stations for a minute got up the hills very slowly surprisingly up heartbreak pretty well and slowed more coming to the finish so the last 12k averaged 6 min kms overall rather than low 5s ... found it warm was sweating heavily from very early on hamstring was threatening to cramp from about 15k but never did quads started to go round the rds everything went after the finish never cramped so much before.. but reading a lot about people cramping here.... not thrilled with 3.46 but not distraught either I can see where the problems are and I have an idea where to improve things ..

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭winstonia

Hah. I've been living in Manchester the past 6 years. You'll be a brave man running past the Etihad and Old Trafford wearing that jersey.

Anyone do much S&C work? This might be the off season I actually do it. Anyone any pointers or can point me in the right direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

They’ll have to be able to run at sub 3 pace to catch me 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well definitely something there to be working on. Hydration/nutrition was a key part of my own PB this year. If you're stopping to pee you're drinking too much. Can't comment on the salt tablets as Ive never used them as cramp has fortunately not been an issue for me. Congrats on the PB.

The stopping to pee happens regardless. Had a kidney issue as a kid and as a result I have to go to the bathroom all the time. It looks very suss on a night out, haha.

I had my fueling right (energy wise) but not electrolytes/salt. And that's been last two marathons I've cramped bad. It's weird cos I have never cramped in training or LSR. In training most I've taken is 2 or 3 salt tabs cos that's all I need. Convinced it was my reaction to the heat. HR at 170 after 2 miles and didn't really come back down. Will look back over it but I think next year will only be going for 4 hours, told a mate I'd run it with him. Might look at another in Ireland myself to try a PB on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yes I do a lot and it has made a massive difference to my running. I started it about 1.5 years ago. A guy I know has set up an app called Running Buddy that is all about S&C programs for runners if you want to check it out. His Instagram is oldquarterphysiotherapy and the Instagram page for the app is runningbuddytraining. I haven’t registered as I have my own program that I work away on but I totally trust what he has to say. He’s good at what he does.

Want to say thanks to everyone in here too.

When I was planning DCM, my goal was a PB and under 3:40 if I could. PB was 3:41. Loads of ye here told me to go for sub 3:30. I trained for it and in the end, didnt get it. But I got my PB and I got under 3:40. I am convinced if I had only trained with 3:40 in mind, I wouldnt have gotten it on Sunday. The weather and everything combined would have saw me finish in about 3:45 I reckon. Only for the pushing and advice in here, I definitely wouldnt have a PB to my name.

I am signing up to next year anyway but not sure I will race it. Mate of mine gonna do it and he reckons he will do 4 hours so will train again as if going for 3:30 but will run with him on the day. He's gonna be fundraising for a hospital as his kid is sick so thats a bit more important. Might find another (flatter) marathon in Ireland next year to race.

Anyone experience with the following marathons Edinburgh, Paris or Hamburg?

It's between then and Manchester (which I've already run) for a Spring marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Haven't run any of them but a friend has run Hamburg and was very impressed - flat course, great road surfaces (at the time, a few years ago). It's a great city, was there this summer, quite Berlin-like in many ways. It's definitely the one I would pick out of those three.

No idea on the route. But Edinburgh is a very hilly city in general

That's the one I'm leaning towards but the comments in the Hamburg marathon thread seem to suggest it's not actually that flat 🤔.

The elevation is very favourable, organisation seems to let it down though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Now the dust has settled on my DCM, Did not go to plan but still came away with a PB 3:16:19. Had issues with my Hips from mile 21. But felt comfortable while i was with the 3:10 pacers.

I think i know why i had issues with my Hips, Ran the Eco Trail 80k 6 weeks ago, then was out with covid for nearly 2 weeks so lost out on speedwork training before dublin, but felt strong and all my runs leading up to dublin felt great and comfortable. I think the faster pace and longer stride during sunday was too much.

Dont think i will do Dublin again but might have a crack at cork (Home City) as i got a early bird entry for the full. Done the half 3 time before.

How does the cork marathon compare to the Dublin, Is it a course i could go Sub 3 if i had a good training block?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry to hear it didn’t go to plan though congrats on the PB.

Cork is a funny one. Definitely much flatter than Dublin. The only hills really are coming out of the tunnel and then the bits from mile 17 to 21 or so but it’s just where they come on the route really. Dublin has way more long drags. The biggest problem with Cork is the weather I think the June bank holiday weekend. It could be roasting has been some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

After the course profile, the organisation of the event is very important. The ideal thing is to have everything available within the marathon start/finish area.

I have only ran one foreign marathon and I would do it again.

In Frankfurt this week everything was contained within the building/complex:

Number collection is available on race morning. This can only be done for a marathon if there is adequate infrastructure to accommodate.

Expo open until 5pm race day. (If you are into it)

Family/friends can stay with you until the last minute even if you use the bag drop.

Free transport around the city on race day.

A tram station in the basement of the marathon finish area

A proper place to change after the race and not outside on the steps of a building. We have been lucky in Dublin for a few years that the weather has been good but a wet race day make’s changing afterwards miserable.

My favourite thing was hot showers after the race and not in a location off site but in the same building. This was brilliant as I was travelling home after the race. It’s one of the things that annoys me about Dublin that you need to pay even more to an already overpriced hotel to go back for a shower.

Some things are not to everyone’s liking:

water in cups

pay for T-shirt

Who would have thought that the Germans were good at organising things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

sounds great, have you a Strava link to your run to check out the course profile?

I'm definitely not doing Dublin next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

Just sent on DM

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Wanted to ask ye all, what training plans/programs did you use for this year anyway.

Just realised I bought the book 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald a year or so ago but never actually did it. Anyone used that plan before for a marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I bought the same book this year but haven't read it yet. I plan to do so before starting the next training block.

This year I used Meno's plan for Boston which is great with some good sessions on Wednesdays and long runs, some "with stuff", on Sundays. You need to be disciplined though as only 3 runs pw are given and you decide on rest or easy runs the other days. Looking back on my Boston plan I had too many 5 mile easy runs whereas I could have maybe extended them on Saturdays to tire me more for the long Sunday run.

I used Hansons advanced for Dublin. Apart from a covid break in July and a minor niggle in September I think I hit every session and really enjoyed it. Easily PB'd the HM in September at >30s per mile faster than goal marathon pace so thought I was a shoe-in for my DCM target. Not really sure how I faded so badly last Sunday, but I wouldn't put it down to the plan (used Hansons in Manchester '19, with an injury a few weeks out, and came in a couple of minues under my target).

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭winstonia

Back running today. Legs ok. Smashing day for it after non stop rain yesterday. Probably get out again on Sunday and then slowly ease back into 5 days a week. Just gonna do easy miles for the rest of the year before picking something for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Hansons for me as well. It delivered a 13 min PB and brought me exactly to my goal time. I'll follow it again for Berlin next year, all being well.

Advertisement