Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a house between Summerhill/Ballybough

Options
  • 26-11-2021 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on this. It's in between Newcomen Bridge and Summerhill Parade- how dodgy is it round there? I'm from the north side myself but I don't know this particular area very well- I feel like people would say avoid, but lots of areas are improving all the time, plus it's the kind of area that can change even from street to street. I would go down at night time if I was going to buy this place, to get a real feel for it, but wanted to know if anyone has experience of living round there, near the canal, and how they found it.

Living near a primary school might present its own challenges too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

it's an interesting area in my view, it's definitely improving but still has its social problems, obviously it is very central and close to the city centre.. I'd consider the following:

the price of the property, what can you get elsewhere for equivalent price?

what is the street like? is it a mix of people where you might fit in?

will you need to park a car on the street?

is the house reasonably secure or vulnerable to break in?

will you raise kids in the house/area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

by the way I don't live there so i havnt a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not a chance I'd buy there. There are rough areas in Dublin that have gentrified/ are undergoing improving and then there are areas with problems which won't be going away any time soon. Ballybough/Summerhill are definitely the later.

I recently moved away from Gardiner Street after living there six years and although the proximity was great to town, I really couldn't wait to get away from the place in the last couple of years. There are just so many dodgy people about it's not very pleasant. Especially around Summerhill and Ballybough.

Dodgy as fück

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Healy92

I lived on Foster Terrace for a few months. The atmosphere around the area wasnt great - probably the worst i lived in in Dublin. The only place someone tried to steal my wallet walking home at night. Issues with good neighbors puncturing car tires with nails. Drug dealers living nearby, Teenagers hanging around, Bags of rubbish being left beside bins/trees along the street..etc

Having said that, it improves alot just around the corner e.g. Clonliffe rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The more flats or council housing in an area, the worse it is. And unfortunately a lot around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 waterlemon

When did this happen? Did you move away from Foster Terrace recently? I am looking for a house to buy there. It seems ok when I visit there myself last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Healy92

It was four years ago, i doubt a whole lot has changed since

Master of the Universe

I was out there the other day collecting a key. Prices have gone up quite a lot but the area is still the same, dodgy as **** and I wouldn't fancy walking around there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd say it's fine, I'll be living nearby next year myself. Of course there'll be an unsavoury element but it's basically the city centre and there are all sorts living there nowadays. It's only going to get better too.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You really don't know if an area like that is fine until you've actually lived there.

I lived close by enough for 7 years at the top of Gardiner Street. It's one of those areas that will take a generation to improve, you've an element around there which won't be leaving any time soon.

Fine to rent for a while but definitely do not buy there if you've other options available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

No way would I buy there, I walked to work through that area for 5 years and that triangle from Ballybough to Sheriff St to North Inner City is scumbag ground zero. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of decent salt of the earth types there but plenty of scum too. If you look at the addresses of those convicted for major crimes you'll see a lot of Summerhill Parade etc.

It's absolutely filthy too, the community doesn't care for how the place looks and that bothered me a lot towards the end - sort of an Irish manifestation of the broken windows policy, just bags of rubbish strewn everywhere.

As someone said, its an area that isn't gentrifying anytime soon unlike say, the Liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Lots of pearl clutching in this thread.

I've lived in the general area, albeit in a warren of one-way streets, for a few years now. It's a very nice area, I've walked through it morning, noon and night and never had an ounce of trouble. There's some great communities and amenities nearby and if you treat people as you expect to be treated yourself it goes a long way.

Master of the Universe

I'd hardly call wanting to live somewhere nice 'pearl clutching'.

Summerhill/Ballybough is a lot of things, but a 'very nice area' is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

I live in Philipsburg Avenue in Marino so not quite in the mixer but its my main artery to walk into town.

I would agree its not the most aesthetically pleasing of areas with rubbish and I would never dare to drink in any of those pubs like the Clonliffe House, Lowry's, Bridge Tavern etc.

That said I must have walked through the area hundreds of times as I refuse to pay for taxis after nights out blind drunk, headphones in, singing along and never had an ounce of trouble.

I did so just last night staggering home after my work Christmas party at 4 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Very hard one to call. 100% the property will be worth a fortune in years to come, it's a fantastic investment, but in how many years is hard to tell. If you're planning on a family in the next three years I'd be reluctant. If I was 22 years of age and starting out I'd take the risk (as I did myself at that age in a similar area). I'd be looking at 200k Max investment in the area.

Advertisement