Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric fireplace causing TV lose picture

• 11-12-2022 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

In my living room I have a TV, sky box, electric fireplace and PS4. For the past year all four have been working perfectly fine together, but recently the TV flickers whenever I power down the fireplace. I noticed that this only happens when the sky box is switched on and not on the PS4. So I then switched the HDMI cables around and now it only happens when the PS4 is on.

So basically when I switch off my fireplace, the image on my TV will flicker black for a second then resume to the normal picture. This issue only occurs with this one specific HDMI and doesn't effect anything else connected to the TV. The fireplace and HDMI are not connected in any way and I don't get any issue when turning the fireplace on, only off.

Could my fireplace be interfering with a HDMI cable that is not connected to at all or should I be worried that this is an electrical problem that I should be concerned about?

(The screen just flickers for a second, no device gets powered off when this occurs)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have electric fire in one of those fake chimney breasts and it also houses tv, ps4, and some lights. When the heater in the fire kicks in the lights flicker. Tv doesn't. I'd say switch some of your sockets around and see if it affects it. Problem is electrical not to do with your hdmi would be my guess. Not that's it a big problem by sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

How are you supplying power to your units as i use a shielded home theatre power supply and dont receive spikes or noise

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nice1guy

@Buddy Bubs & @greasepalm

All electrics are connected to a surge protected extension lead. I took the fireplace plug out and put it in its own socket but still had same issue. I replaced the hdmi with a different one and still got the same issue.

Connected to the extension cable is also a HDMI splitter and fire stick. I just removed the fire stick and splitter and now I am no longer getting the issue. No idea how the splitter and HDMI stick were being effected by the fireplace. Still a bit concerned that it could be an electrical issue@Buddy Clon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just for a trial can you run extension from another socket and try tv on.

How heavy load is extension rated at i wonder.

I use a 13amp beast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭andy1249

All electrical switching causes a certain amount of Radio Frequency noise , shielding on most well made devices is supposed to protect them from this.

HDMI splitters are numerous , and a lot of them are very cheap and very poorly made , often by cutting corners , especially in terms of shielding.

Youve taken out the splitter and the problem is gone , get a new splitter , one with its own power supply and proper shielding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement