Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronan Collins Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Louise Duffy did a fantastic job* when she stood in for Ronan recently, it most certainly wasn't anything resembling a tired playlist. I'd love to see her get this role.

The show works for so many,* the requests, the roundy birthdays etc...might seem a bit dated, but its easy going, somehow-caters-for-all programme, does what it needs to do.*

(A mon avis!*)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Uhmmmmmm……. …….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Hospital radio.

He should have retired 10 years ago, except his self-invested pension had an 80% haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I knew we'd get a comment like that. His show isn't challenging, that's for sure - it wasn't meant to be. It was a welcome break of musical escapism between two current affairs shows. It was just nice, easy listening.

He fills that role far more effectively than Tubridy does in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭squonk

Agreed. I liked Shay and Louise too but some of the music was more contemporary and good but you’d hear much of that elsewhere but I liked some of the older stuff you don’t ystakjy hear. I can think of at least a dozen songs I’ll probably but gear on radio again now.

Ronan too was one if tge last play what you like DJs. I miss the kind of radio where you’d go between genres easily. I know there are other shows still doing the unpkaykidted genre hopping stuff but they’re catering for music heads (which I’d count myself as) but are more serious listening. Ronan managed it in a light way during the afternoon.

yeah I can see why some disliked the show. I’d venture if you’re under 40 it’s not your thing. For me it sounded like those radio I grew up with and loved in the 80s where playlists weren’t such a big thing and you’d hear Leonard Cohen followed by Rick Astley in the early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

Between numerous Ad breaks,the weather,playing cd's,Joe Duffy waffling for 5 minutes at 12.45 every day,news taking minutes off the start and a longer ad break before the news @ 1 bookending the show and cutting into running time he actually speaks for about 6 minutes in total every day,how do you get paid about 6K a week for that?,the handiest gig in RTE by a country mile.

Christ I hope not. That’s me done with Radio 1 fir the afternoons then. Doubt they’d move tge news at 1. Plus if D’Arcy is on 500k it’s a waste just giving him 45 minutes work for that, though they don’t mind Duffy doing a similar amount for similar money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Does anyone actually like Darcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Best of luck to him in his retirement-many of us will miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

5 hours a week like how did he manage such a workload?...

• Advertisement

Ah look he seems to hate pig in a lot of prep and the show was kind of a solo effort by the sounds of it. He was always well prepared so was obviously ding his mine work behind tge scenes.

unlike some of his Co workers he cage in slick and prepared, didn’t ram his views down the listeners neck and was capable of using the studio equipment without screwup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Doodah7

A left field choice might be Derek Mooney??

Yeh..wouldn’t be the worst choice.

Bit of a wildlife show…it could work instead of the usual scripted patter that hasn’t changed for 40 years.

How come these RTE heads think they can stay in service forever is what puzzles me.

In most other jobs when you’ve had your day you move on and let others have a go?

For some reason the RTE crowd think it’s a job till you are carried out in the bosca adhmaid.

Very strange stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,221 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

But…but…where will I hear Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor and Mark Knopfler?

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Picked up on a few songs and artists I would never have listened to only for this DJ

thank you Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If by "left field" you mean "dreadful", you are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Louise Duffy has been formally announced as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Sadly...all good things must come to an end. I really enjoyed his show and would switch over from my usual music station just to listen to Ronan's show. I really appreciated his own personal take on various pieces of music as he experienced them, from the sixties and early seventies, which was before my time, and music I mostly would never listen to only for his show. He will be missed.

Aaah Jaysus Breener…….it’s Christmas here….where’s you spirit of joy and peace.

Del boy isn’t the worst, could have been some gimp like Joe Jackson or sommit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Welcome aboard Louise.

😯.

Aboard what.?

Are we talking to an insider here?

WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Ronan once said of Joe that he never tells you a good thing without telling you a bad thing immediately afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

would love that too so I can listen to Rising Time again .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

With Ronan gone who is going to play Linda Ronstadt now ? Louise most likely not as big a fan .

• Advertisement

Thank God for small mercies .

Hopefully she she will ease out these forhking ‘roundy birthdays’ and give us some eclectic music.

We need to move out of the Stone Age and grip of the ‘luvvies’.

Its 2022 last I heard, the Dreamland Ballroom is long closed.

Time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

bad choice by RTE, thought they'd give the slot to a proper DJ who doesn't rely on the internet or spotify for music info.

Lots of the established artists, especially the Irish artists of the 60s, 70s and 80s Ronan plays will never be heard on Radio 1 again.

Hopefully she'll get moved on after a year.

listener figures will decrease rapidly. not good for the News at One.

Post edited by ford fiesta on

Would have thought Neil Doherty was a shoe-in. seeing as how he has filled in when Ronan has been on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I hope Louise plays some tracks by artists who are actually still alive. And drop the anniversaries of the deaths of singers dictating what gets played. Goodbye Ronan but I won't miss you.

Yes time to move on…..Ronan is a good guy ,I’m sure ,but like all things, has to end sometime.

Had a good innings on RTE, maybe it’s time shake the place up a bit- clear the bang of complacency from the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Going by her interview, doesn't sound like the new presenter is going to shake up anything. Hope she has a bit of character and persona and makes it her own but doubt it very much.

Hmmm…. Might have to agree there….. hopefully it won’t become “patter by numbers” .

That slot has to have the dust and cobwebs knocked off it one would feel.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Neeeds a complete change from the formulaic patter that Collins pedaled since the larst century.

Hope Louise has the minerals to do that ...as if I hear her going on about "roundy birthdays" my well loved Roberts Internet mite test the strength of the double glazing.

An we wouldn't want that in this Baltic wedder......now would we ...??

Put the auld device on the end of a bit of binder twine Nevin, stop it from hitting the windah.

Hook it up for around the Bank Holidays.

With Ronan leaving the lunchtime slot, is Fiachna Ó Braonáin waiting for John Creedon to have an, ahem, ‘accident’?

”But John, the brakes in your car were working fine the other day.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Nadine O'Regan is a journalist, but also a reasonably experienced broadcaster, having cut her teeth with Phantom/TXFM and then being moved to Today FM with her last programme on TXFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭pummice

So Ronan is finishing up his lunchtime show on 23rd December. Im starting a competition - what will his last song be?

Oh Holy Night?

Oh Holy Mother of God?

A Beatles double?

I did it my Way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Definitely Oh Holy Night.

‘Living in the Past’. Jethro Tull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Maybe he'll do a John Clarke and play The Last DJ or maybe Imogen which was his theme tune for many years, although perhaps Let it Be or Dan Fogelberg Same Old Lang Syne could be in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Maybe O Holy Night sung by Joe Dolan?

He always gave Dan Fogelberg an airing with Same Old Lang Syne this time of year.

Dan was a legend, died 15 years ago today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Red Fred

He always played Dan on his last show before Christmas, and more often than not as the last song. No matter what, I'm sure that he'll find something that "fits the bill" as he would say himself.

What a loss DF was.

A great talent.

I sure Ronan will effect his exit with aplomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I think I'd like to hear Imogen as the final track, sign off, like he signed on and bookend the years. I am sure Joe, Dan and any of the others that would also do the job, could be played through the show anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RINO87

Linda Ronstadt does Gilbert and Sullivan. Good man Ronan 😂😂

Ronan with Philip Boucher-Hayes right now, indulging in some Partridge/Tony Hayes bitchery! :D

I bet a million Euro that Ronan’s final song will be ‘Adios’ by Linda Ronstadt.

• Advertisement

Advertisement