Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaga Marathon 12th December 2021

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Yes great venue, the half being the nicest part along with the end of the marathon in the old town.

Agree with the portaloos. My legs seized up after 10 miles so it was long one for me at 3:26.xx.

Good fun all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

I have this on my radar for 2022. Any advice for doing it with regards to travel or the run itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Me too, advice greatly Appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

I did it last December, great event albeit quite warm.

My main tip would be when you arrive in Malaga, get a taxi straight to expo and ask/pay them to wait for you to run in and get your number. The expo is ok but no need to linger.

If you don't have a taxi sorted, you'll be waiting awhile.

Agree. The expo is a pain: it's out of town and it's really basic. They should get rid of it and post the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

I note that the expo has changed location to down by the port this year which is a huge plus. From the Malaga marathon site:

WHERE AND WHEN CAN I COLLECT MY RACE BIB AND RUNNER’S BAG?

The collection of numbers/bibs/chip for the GENERALI Malaga Marathon will take place during the Marathon Expo, which will be located at Terminal 1 of the Port of Malaga (near the Centre Pompidou).

Did this last year and found it enjoyable and signed up for this year but am undecided on whether I will travel over as did Dublin and don't think I'm in the right place regarding fitness levels. I opted for partial refund of entry fee, but I do note that they allow you to drop down to the half.

I've dropped down to the half myself. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭longrunn

Going over to do this race in December as my first marathon. Training was going fairly well but a couple of small injuries in quick succession has knocked a fair bit off my mileage for the last couple of weeks, and have missed a key long run. I'm sure I'll make it to the start line OK but starting to think my goal time may be in danger. My problem when I get any bit of an injury that impacts my running routine is that my nutrition goes out the window. I eat crap and end up drinking more than I should because I don't have to run the next day.

This is great, I remember putting this in my feedback form for them (yes, they do that). The port is a great location for it as it is central. It's great they moved it.

Treat your niggle/injury as your new sport, and use the time to recover. If going off the rails, make sure you drink plenty of water with it (that helps with shite food and alcohol), return to the path of enlightenment, move on and forget.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

Going as well will be my 100th wont be racing still not anywhere near race fitness after 2 bouts of Covid

So the weather is looking a bit wet for Sunday!

Spotted that alright. Doesn't look like there's much room for change given the size of the rain shower moving in.

Not just wet, but thunderstorms!

I was told by a friend who has raced this before that a few years ago it was cancelled due to rain.

This is my first full, and after a tough training period with a couple of injuries that made me wonder would I even make it to the line, I just got the all clear from my physio, and knowing my luck it will be cancelled!

Here since Tuesday. Raining since yesterday and quite humid when running no breeze to speak off. Thunder Showers today. If YR is to be believed 10 mm of rain on Sunday between 9-11 so not looking good to go ahead

Just landed and there's torrential rain.

Collected bib and t-shirt this evening. Small enough expo. Shake out run tomorrow morning and then take it easy for the rest of the day.

If you are near the Marina an out and back along the coast is best. Anything in the city is stop start at lights. Did the Expo as well, but number pick up was quick and straight forward.

Enjoyable route. Great support in horrid conditions. Very light rain at the start with it becoming heavier after about 30-40 minutes. Came away with a PB but miscalculated the last 5-7Km which resulted in a tough finish to my race.

Weather got better so we got back out at midday for food/drink at about the 41Km mark of the marathon. Plenty of support for those in the 4-6 hour mark around these parts. There seemed to be plenty of Irish runners in both runs with a few getting a large round of applause from my friend and I.

Mentioned at last year's event but not enough portaloos at the start of the race. No other complaints and will definitely consider coming back for the half again.

Don't think I got as good a wash in a long time! Found it warm despite the rain though.

Can't remember if there was a predicted finish time for allocation of waves, but judging by the pace of people in waves ahead of mine and in my own it was very random, which led to a bit of dodging for the first couple of miles.

• Advertisement

Got the job done today.

Went out behind 4:15 pacer with the intention of passing after 2 K and try and reel a sub 4. Still behind him @ 7K and under sub 4 pace. Shocking pacing. Loo stop @15K got to halfway 2:02 as a results. Tried to push on but wheels started to come off after 30K and threw up shortly after 35K. Plodding along with the intention of a possible sub 4:15. Pacer passed me @ 37K flying. Run walk to the finish came in 4:15:40 I would say the pacer was sub 4:10

In my experience there never has been many portoloos at the start of Spanish Marathons. Runners tend to find side of the road/park and this includes the ladies.

I felt the run in the last 3-4K the surface was extremely slipy other then that a relatively good course didn't think the rain was that bad and was welcome at times as I was overheating.

Was a great weekend over in Malaga. Travelled over from Cork on Friday and back Monday. Huge crowd from Cork travelled over for it. Loads of barr's and watergrasshill runners. The weather on Saturday and Monday was as good as a decent summer's day in Ireland. It was a bit warm and humid on Sunday morning during the race but there was some rain too which was quite welcome. I'd definitely go back, just wish it was a week or two earlier as it's just a bit too close to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

I was one of those Barr's athletes!!. Great weekend, ran the half and was very enjoyable.

Advertisement