Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession predictions

Comments

Not to discount it as a recession indicator, but I've been wondering what PayPal's future is in the face of services like Revolut or Google Pay. Even in the best of times I think their days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The biggest concern I would have...our current economic system and the drive to safe the environment don't fit together...

Looking at shopping centre the country over, 50% clothes, 1 big super market, a few coffee shops and smoothie places, a "health"store, 1 or 2 jewelry stores and a pennies...

Genuinely believe the majority of the cloths are poor quality and the ones that are good quality are "too expensive"... jewelry weather expensive or costume seems to go in phases and waves, like my wife has 11 Alex & Ani but I haven't seen her wear any in nearly 3 years, unlike her Dr Martens which she wears whenever she's able to...

My BIL is the same, he has shoes made in sweet shops in Asia that his paid over €500 for, but sure after 1 year they are starting to fall apart...I have a leather pair of shoes/booth(€100) that I have over 8 years and typically wear on a Saturday & Sunday every week still good as new, got the sole replaced last year for €30, good quality and great value in fairness

The whole fashion industry and marketing of that industry is detrimental to the environment as there is a significant level of transport and waste...

But the economy needs these things to generate jobs and tax/rents/rates...

If governments want to reduce carbon and pollution, they need to have a proper look at the current model, also the amount of tat in places like Tiger-Tiger, Deals and Lidl, stuff that is literally just rubbish or a novelty...

Pennies pays well, but most other retail jobs pay very poorly with conditions varying for horrific to good...many people in their mid 20's have had their eyes opened during Covid, and we see Hospitality struggling for staff, I wonder how long before retail starts to suffer...and I hear many people saying, sure they will work if they need the the money...

Well with house prices climbing, I personally know of 3 people who have stopped saving for a mortgage and decided to go on a few holidays and remain living at home, can see this becoming the norm in many parts of the country...

When the recession hits, the recovery could be very very slow, maybe we need industry to build things that actually last and offer after purchase care, unlike the current model of build it cheap, sell it high and know that it'll last 2-3 years and then there back for the newer model(Apple)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mumo3

@c.p.w.g.w "Well with house prices climbing, I personally know of 3 people who have stopped saving for a mortgage and decided to go on a few holidays and remain living at home, can see this becoming the norm in many parts of the country"

My friend just recently did the same thing, has been saving and living like a miser for a couple of years, but this year just gave up and bought herself a fabulous new 4wd, she felt there was no sign of house prices dropping and she is hoping to be a cash buyer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I've been thinking of doing so in the last few years but prices are way above what I'm willing to pay for them. Whether I'll be in a position to capitalise on a potential downturn, I'm not sure. I may well have spent my cash pile before then on something else I want to purchase.

I've seen many one off houses in the countryside be left up for weeks now because material prices are so high.

Go over to the property forum here and you'll see many say "ah price doesn't matter if you plan to live in it forever". You'd think people would be the same with material prices then....but that's not the case. Demand is going to fall for sure.

My friend is the same, she doesn't even mind moving into a fixer upper and doing it up bit by bit around herself, but even those prices are going sky high.... she's just hoping the arse falls out of the house prices.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭timmyntc

beware of the institutionals

rate rises will lead to some big valuation haircuts

I work in the construction supply industry and starting to feel it already, ended up leaving work after lunch everyday this week because its been so quiet. My boss said this is exactly what it was like in 2008, been super busy and then it just stopped. We've had 3 clients tell us they've either directly or heard of a company that's handed back keys to sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Are you having supply issues or has demand for goods dropped...

Everywhere seems busy here in Ireland anyway...

It's a bit of both, the prices we would buy at have more than doubled in some cases, we used to get a small price increase maybe 3 times a year from suppliers, now most of them wont hold a quote for more than 24hrs. On top of that trying to get stock in is a disaster ... it can take up to 12 weeks for some items. Us like most suppliers have locked in long term contracts for companies and can no longer afford to absorb the increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Its not impossible....know many friends who have saved so much and are not keen on buying house in this mad market...they rather wait for 2-3 years or more and buy in cash when the fairytale is over ! May or may not happen but gives them that flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭wassie

Being reported over the last couple of days that the GDPNow tracker (A 'Nowcasting' economical model produced by the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta) is now pointing to an annualised growth rate of 0.9% for the second quarter, down from an estimated 1.3% increase less than a week ago.

According to their website, GDPNow works as follows:

"The growth rate of real gross domestic product (GDP) is a key indicator of economic activity, but the official estimate is released with a delay. Our GDPNow forecasting model provides a "nowcast" of the official estimate prior to its release by estimating GDP growth using a methodology similar to the one used by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis."

"GDPNow is not an official forecast of the Atlanta Fed. Rather, it is best viewed as a running estimate of real GDP growth based on available economic data for the current measured quarter. There are no subjective adjustments made to GDPNow—the estimate is based solely on the mathematical results of the model."

Essentially what this indicator is showing is that the US economy is now on the verge of a recession. Whilst this is no surprise to anyone here, we are now seeing the economic data feeding into these models to back it up.

Business confidence in the US is dropping and this is translating into a serious drop in business investment. Retail in particular is being hit hard with many of the majors reporting serious over-stocking levels, leading to a cancelling of orders and profit margins taking a dive.

The interesting point here is that consumer consumption, whilst lowering, still remains strong. But people have effectively stopped buying stuff after covid and are redirecting their spending on recreation like travel and dining. Inflation will also be starting to have an effect.

Jobs growth is still also still positive.

Remains to be seen if both these metrics will remain this way for much longer. IMHO, I suspect that when (not if!) they both drop, then the recession in the US will be in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Let’s not forget it’s REAL GDP so even if the economy made as much as it did a month ago the REAL GDP would drop if inflation increased.

likewise if inflation falls away the real gdp would rise (assuming the economy still produces the same)

I recall reading about the Wall Street crash in the 20s, and how retail investors were taking personal loans to buy stock, since the interest rate on the loan was lower than the expected return, but when it turned south it was a major contributor to the depression.

I can't help but look at the recent increased access to retail investing paired with a bull market for years, and the crypto bubble (both now declining significantly) and with Fed rates so low has the same thing been happening over the last several years, and if so, will increasing Fed rates bring this crumbling down? (Combined with the slump in the markets and high inflation, it will stress the ability of people to pay their debts back, assuming my theory is correct.)

It's just a hunch. Thought I'd share.

It wasn’t just the leverage that created the crisis it was the belief that stocks could only go in one direction that sucked everyone in along with the most important ingredient ‘greed’

it could be argued that similar has happened this time around with people not having a clue what they are actually investing in. For example Why would anyone buy a Meme stock just because some guys start a pump and dump scheme on Reddit.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. Greed and stupidity, along with a bull market, ease of access, cheap credit...

I have a feeling this is a repeat, but potentially far worse.

• Advertisement

Us fed are gonna increase rates higher. I can see it happening with the way inflation is still very high.

I'm coming nearer to the opinion that a recession is the only way out.

Wage inflation spiral has started. Seeing unions today saying they're looking for significant pay rises..

Redfin, US estate agent is laying off 8% of staff. 17% drop in demand in May.

Central banks won’t let this risk crystallise and would just open new swap lines to provide liquidity like they did in ‘08

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Swap lines with who though? The majority of Western central banks are technically insolvent but no one wants to admit it.

Where will this liquidity come from in today's economic conditions? I mean, what capacity do they have for monetary expansion?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

this was inevitable, we cannot keep playing this game of using our financial resources to simply (re)inflate the value of pre-existing assets, we re clearly in desperate need of using it in creating new assets, property, infrastructure, health care needs etc etc, if we do, we ll keep ending up back in potentially serious financial sector crisis all the time......

enough is enough, we re seriously endangering ourselves by maintaining this status quo....

Ghana's situation also doesnt look good!

central banks can never truly run out of money, our problem still is with private sector financial institutions, as has always been the case, theres clearly something fundamentally wrong with their operations!

• Advertisement

it it would be no different to them than providing liquidity via overnight night repo as they are doing at the moment. It’s that or you end up with a liquidity problem and the markets freeze

Advertisement