Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: new moderation warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

where did he get those names ? the book of names for children to avoid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

"Let's give the 35 children names - these aren't their names." Then reads off a list of names?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Fcuk me !!

Turty foive names..........that's three football teams and a couple subs !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Deeec

No plain oul names in that list

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

“Where are you from originally?

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Can a donation be sent somewhere to help the children?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭Jeff2

So now he uploaded the logo. Can anyone alter the logo and use it for something else.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭squonk

He created a logo? Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,560 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Silly q.

Why would someone want to do that.

Heard some of the show yesterday and some today. Very hard to rationalise what is happening to these kids and their parents against what has been made possible for all those seeking refuge in Ireland this past year, or the millions wasted on on othere things. If the drug works for the kids, they should get it. Let's not have a repeat of the cervical smear scandal where early intervention could have resulted in better outcomes. Enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

They're lazy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,890 ✭✭✭Furze99

There's no need for this campaign group to be on the radio, day after day after day. They should present their case to the Department of Health and let them decide who gets expensive drugs on the basis of actual results and knowledge of who might benefit. We've been down this road already with CF and you can be sure, this will not be the last super expensive drug. Give it a year and a new campaign for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭avfc1874

That was hilarious,

Joe being all pompous...... lets give the 35 children names.... These are not the names of the children, but they are children's names 🤔.I think Joe even confused himself

I wonder where he got the name's of the children from and why weren't there no whacker names on it,.

Wonder what poor sap had the job of picking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Fair enough, but is that not the whole basis for the show. It actually has a good record of getting things like this moving. HSE is a basket case for inefficiency and ineffective administration. If it takes a show on public radio to enact progress or change, so be it. People can always move the dial to a more uplifting broadcast.

Some of the stuff that is aired on this show is trivial and tabloid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Regarding Joe's comment about the letter he sent to the drug company; is that appropriate for an RTÉ presenter? He's an overpaid buffoon deserving of much of the criticism he receives here (imo), but I feel he's stepping way over the mark writing a letter to a drug company that's engaged in negotiation with the HSE.

He can do what he likes as a citizen of Ireland but I doubt very much that's how he presented himself in his letter. Who the f*ck does he think he is?!

Hadn’t heard that. Thats very pompous indeed. He’s not a public representative and, fair enough if he wrote as a private citizen which I’d doubt is the case, he shouldn’t really be sticking his oar in as a z-list celeb. Yet again Dee seems to be asleep at the wheel when it comes to the Duffer. I am pretty sure if I was firing off letters to public companies under the guise of my employment I’d have to expect at least an awkward meeting with my boss and quite possibly get some very early Christmas holidays to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

There was a "Harper/Harpur" and a "Wyatt". Don't think you could get much more whacker than those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,890 ✭✭✭Furze99

Personally I'd prefer such matters to be dealt with on their merits by medical personnel with all the evidence to hand.

Not who can shout the loudest, organise the most calls to a radio show and/or have the most sob cases and tears on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,318 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

"In 2021, Wyatt was ranked 414 of all baby boys recorded in Ireland.

In total, 8 baby boys were recorded with the name Wyatt in this year.

In 2021, Harper was ranked 60 of all baby girls recorded in Ireland.

In total, 98 baby girls were recorded with the name Harper in this year."

Something happened after 2011 to make Harper move up the list every year.

"In 2011 there were less than 3 baby girls recorded with the name Harper"

IMO the logo should have been sent to the people who might use and not published online before they could claim it as theirs.

I agree with you on the rest, too much money spent on things way less warranting of it than these kids but this show hasn't covered that at all. RTE would never cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

A quick Google search for "celebrity" Harpers shows that David Beckham has a daughter of that name, born in 2011. This would probably account for the increase in whackers and whackerettes giving their daughters this name.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,318 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is 10th most popular in the US and 26th in England. I hope that this will lead to the parents not being singled out for mockery.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Todaze main story could be...it's cold in Dublin (the only place that counts in Ireland) and dat

The thing is the narrative being pushed all week is the evil HSE/Big Pharma (Joe even used the word "villain") are sitting on their hands and laughing all the way to the bank while these 35 kids are suffering. While what's actually happened was an (admitted) oversight in a contract, which is currently in the process of being negotiated. The HSE are in progress with it, and this kind of campaign on the airwaves is going waaay against HSE's favour.

It is and the fact that he’s really leaning into this is very disproportionate. I’d agree with this campaign and Joe’s actions if there was a flat refusal on the part of the HSE to exclude the drug on cost grounds. This isn’t the case however and it seems like the HSE are carrying out the expected due diligence and doing the negotiation dance with the pharma company.

If the HSE bent over backwards every time a drug came to market and agreed to supply at any price dictated by the pharma companies there would be far more than 35 cawlurs complaining about the disregard for taxpayers money.

Much as I empathise with these parents and understand where they’re coming from, they’re going to get the drug. It might be down the line but it’ll arrive. Crying wolf every time things don’t go to plan won’t help their cause long term.

Joe seriously needs to wind his neck in here too. A bit of perspective is needed and his job is to moderate a call driven show (yeah, I know 😁) and not to lead some kind of mob justice campaign.

these people should have gotten one show on this topic but also those in the know should have been invited on for perspective. This instead just seems very one-sided and low on actual facts. Just lots of hysterics and hyperbole.

This has happened before we’ll probably get a repeat of all this next year when the next miracle CF drug arrives and some chislers are left out of the party until some details get sorted.

There was even a woman on who seemed a bit more clued in on what's going on, and tried to raise awareness of the fact that there's a negotiation process going on and to respect their boundaries etc, and Joe immediately shot her down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ronan Collins retiring on December 23 (or the eve of Christmas eve)

Take note, Joe Duffy. Please consider the same as your listenership and relevance fade away

Advertisement