Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary KYU

Options
  • 03-12-2022 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I don't do Karate myself but my son does so apologiesfor this question if it sounds stupid. He was at his grading going for 3rd kyu. He was given a temporary 3rd kyu yet awarded a brown belt.

In his book he has a half stamp( not sure if they ran out of ink) he also has a T on his grading cert, yet was given a brown belt?!?

Does this mean he is a brown belt? What is temporary? This is Shokotan karate .

Just wondering is he a brown or what happens next as he was given the belt.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm not sure how active this forum is these days, and I'm not a karate guy, but I will attempt an answer on this as I can appreciate it's annoying if it's not clear what happened. Would be worth talking to his club to get clarity for him though.

The gist of it is that a temporary or half grade is when he's been awarded the grade but considered to have not met the standard in some area or other, and he'll need to show improvement next time around.

I gather a temporary grade is sometimes called a half grade, I suspect the half stamp is meant to be that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Thanks Blacksheep, I spoke to the club, he got the belt , but was advised to sit out next grading ( until he is 100% proficient) with current belt , so all good.

Advertisement