Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking lights are for being PARKED

Options
  • 08-12-2022 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Once again the Sun is low in the sky, we have frosty weather which means fog and have had wet weather with poor visibility.

I see more and more people driving in these conditions with parking lights on. Parking lights are for what there name suggested. Being PARKED. Now I think part of the problem is the auto setting for lights on a lot of cars.

For drivers out there you are better off with no light on than a parking light on when driving. In poor visibility it gives the impression you are further away than you really are

The round sexy lights below the headlights are fog lights. However they are useless for other drivers to see you as they are too low in the car. They are only useful to you in fog.

From now until May put your light control back a notch Drive with DIMMED headlights during the day. Light up.

Parking lights are for being PARKED.

Remember that especially when you are parked at the side of the road at night. Turn off your headlight and Dims and leave your parking lights on, as full headlights can be deceiving especially on narrow roads. On coming traffic can try to keep to the left of you as they normally do. If you are parked on your right the wall, ditch or whatever is on there left.

Remember parking lights are used when you are PARKED.

That is why they are called parking lights

Light up use you dimmed headlights when driving during the day and use you parking lights when parked. Do not use the auto control

Sorry for shouting

Slava Ukrainii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So, parking lights for driving around, and fog lights for looking cool?

Got it. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mikewest

Meh, it's Ireland. Nobody believes in that stuff Bass, kind of like the easter bunny. Anyways their father never used any of them fancy lights cause the dynamo can't keep the battery charged on a cold night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’d be happy if drivers just understood their vehicle controls enough to not drive around in the dark with no back lights at all, due to daylight running lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭DBK1

Something I only said to another man yesterday. It’s unreal how stupid some people are when it comes to this. The amount of cars driving around at night with no back lights due to the driver using the daylight running lights is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My son and I were nearly run over ON a pedestrian crossing the other night by a very elderly woman driving with no lights on at all (it was dark) and she drove straight through the pedestrian crossing clipping the curb as she went. Drove off completely oblivious it seemed to the pedestrians or the drivers flashing at beeping at her, no lights turned on after this incident either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Given how dark it was, you did very well to see it was a Very elderly woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I'm totally frustrated by what I'm seeing on the road.

No lights on in the fog - fog lights on with no rear lights on, turning on your

fog lights DOES NOT turn on your rear lights people - no lights turned on at all!

It can't be that difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

I travel N11 most weekends and I routinely see cars driving with full beams on and rear fog lights with no fog . And I've also seen the front daylights and no rear lights but mostly with new vans.

Yes, because when she almost ran us over I was able to see as I was so close to her. And pedestrian crossings are lit up with overhead lighting.

I was making the point that it was dark to illustrate that she should have had her lights on.

you’re right. On reflection, it was totally my fault for using a pedestrian crossing . 🙄

I was just curious as to what age constitutes, very elderly?

• Advertisement

Are you trying to suggest I’m ageist or something? Or let me guess, next it’ll be how did I know she was a lady, when she could identify as non-binary or as a man?

I don’t know her exact age - as well you know, but she didn’t look - in my opinion - less than 80.

but focus on my use of the word elderly and not her driving with no lights on and almost hitting 2 pedestrians walking on a pedestrian crossing.

Had she hit me or my son you’d probably find a way to blame me.

I’m done. Go and have an argument with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭KildareP

I think it's more the fault of the car manufacturers to be honest.

I mean, who honestly sat in the design meetings for some manufacturers and decided that the "AUTO" setting on the headlight stalk should automatically control the front headlights but NOT the rear? Or that some are set so that it has to be practically pitch black before the dipped headlights come on? Or why some cars switch the headlights off with the ignition regardless of its position whereas some stay on and allow the battery to drain flat?

Typical consequence, my other half hops into my car the very odd time where the AUTO position does NOT control the rear lights but is so used to driving her own car where AUTO does control the rear lights. Cue her driving around completely dark on the rear but yet the dipped headlights are clearly on so there's absolutely no real visual indicator anything is wrong.

Whereas my gut instinct when I hop into any car is to manually put the dipped headlights on, even on the brightest sunniest day.

I actually don't know why dipped headlights weren't made mandatory instead of mandating an extra set of lights that are exclusively for daytime use and that were only fitted to the front.

Maybe the dealers who sell these very expensive vehicles have a duty of care to ensure that the idiots behind the wheel know how to drive them safely? How about a thirty minute training session? Or a mandatory online module? Or even just a laminated cheat sheet on the dash?

And when you gently suggest that it would be a good idea for the driver to know how to operate the vehicle before getting behind the wheel, they look at you like you have two heads.

But you didn't say elderly, you emphasised, VERY elderly. Which sounded like a judgement that this woman isn't fit to drive anymore.

Thank god you are ok and we don't have the typical Indo headline .."old woman knocked down by very elderly lady"

She isn’t fit to drive BECAUSE she doesn’t turn on her lights when it is dark. And she clipped the curb - or did you just decide to neglect that too?

She should not be on the road. She is a danger to herself and others.

But you’re quite happy to let her continue driving until she kills someone or causes an accident because of your PC bull. I’ll say it again - She should not be on the road. And if it was you or your child she almost hit you’d feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Same individuals manage to put their front and rear fogs on in light drizzle seem oblivious to the dark.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

With 0 enforcement/encouragement/advice/guidance...stupid drivers will always be stupid unless hit in the pocket, only then may they change their ways.

OP - 100%

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭bemak

Lack of proper lights in current conditions drives me mad as well. But what kills me is that people are driving around with only DRLs (daytime running lights) on and are ignorant of the fact there is no lighting whatsoever on in the back. Car manufacturers are to blame as well I think - why they don't include DRLs on the rear by default is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Em, excuse my ignorance .. but what are parking lights? Are they the lamps we call side lights? Or half lights? Or maybe they're some new fangled thing on modern cars - our youngest is getting on for 10. There are 'parking lights' on it - when you park and turn off ignition, you can flip the indicator one way or the other to put on the side lights and tail lamp on that side. But you couldn't drive with these 'parking lights' on, otherwise the indicator would be winking away. I do drive sometimes yes with side lights on, in appropriate conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hang on, there are cars with auto lights that only control the front lights? What's the point there???

I've been behind a number of cars in the last little while driving around with no rear lights on, I assume they just had their DRLs on. Spent the entire time behind them flashing my lights to no avail...

When our legislative framework for legally obtaining a driving license doesn't require you to have done a single moment of training for driving on our fastest, busiest roads before being let loose on them, I think mandatory dealer training is the least of our worries!

Another bugbear of mine is foglights - most people haven't the foggiest (ahem) how they should actually be used.

Treat them as full beams on the rear - turn them on when no-one is behind you and then turn them off as soon as someone becomes visible behind you. Most people just leave them on blinding and dazzling those behind.

I meet cars every day where all sorts of drivers have forgotten to turn on their lights.

I was in a taxi last week and the driver hit the kerb by mistake and apologised .

I am sure these are isolated incidents by the drivers and I'm not looking for them to be banned from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would comment not parking lights as you suggested as some cars parking lights are controlled by indicator when no key in ignition and can have left or right on vehicle lit

You meant to say the first click is SIDE LIGHTS and some cars have headlamps lit.

Plenty of drivers dont know how what where and when things should be used.

How many have checked all their lights to see if all working and BRIGHT as bulbs go silver and very dim.

Foglights on front are good to see the kerb and as said are needed to be seen in bad weather.

Rear foglight only to be used in bad weather with poor visibility and know when lit by the warning icon on screen.

Most will forget an important thing very good screenwash additive that wont freeze on window and haze your vision -60 does not freeze and used neat + new wipers to clear the screen. + remember wipers stick to screen and not designed to clear frozen or layers of snow. Check wipers can be lifted off screen before getting inside.

Sadly. My Nissan Qashqai (2010) certainly behaves this way. Seemingly by design. It doesn't have Daytime Running Lights so it's not mistaking those for the headlights. Put the headlights to dipped manually and the rear lights up straight away so not electrical.

Mazda is another common brand that I've seen behave this way.

In fairness, a lot of the latest models seem to have finally sussed it, you'll often see the rears lights up briefly if they pass under tree cover or heavy shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Canada has addressed this issue. I'd like to see this here.

• Starting in September 2021, all new vehicles sold in Canada need to have headlights, taillights, and side lights that automatically turn on in the dark. Also, the dashboard won't light up until the headlights are turned on.

it wasn’t one incident. It was both together.

how are you sure they are isolated incidents? You’re not. You have no way of knowing so. She could be doing this on a daily basis for all you know…but you’d probably still find a way to defend it even if it was proven thus.

But let’s be PC and let her keep driving until she kills someone or causes an accident for fear of offending her by suggesting she may not be able to do so anymore because of her age and diminishing faculties and reduced reaction time etc. That’s far more important than a child’s life or a headline in the indo isn’t it? 🙄

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Zero enforcement is certainly a big problem, but we can all help to address the problem, just by drawing the attention of the other driver, one way or other. Don't just let it slide, if you can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The technical name for sidelights is parking lights. These are small white lights at side of car, in some newer cars they form an L around the headlights they are not indicator lights that blink. You will see them referred to as that in an NCT or in RSA documents.

Problem is nowadays because of poor car design ( auto light control and DRL) and because they tend to throw more light out many drivers use them instead of putting on there dimmed headlights.

Its is a dangerous practice as you are less visible to other drivers. As I pointed out in my OP in poor visibility it makes cars with these on seem further away.

As well you are legally required to have dipped headlights on from 5 pm in the evening.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Not sure why you keep mentioning PC.

I was only trying to establish what made you refer to her as a very elderly woman as opposed to an elderly woman.

My bug bear of tabloids and the likes of the Indo is the extra dramatic effect they spin on stories with headlines like "elderly grandmother mugged" and then you read it's a 60yr woman. A headline of "woman mugged" would suffice.

Advertisement