Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Crazy day and futures up this morning, I don't know what to make of it. I'm in the camp that core inflation is still not decreasing therefore interest rates need to still go higher which will affect asset prices negatively and when all the dust settles rates will be lowered and QE will continue and the whole circus starts again.

I hope this rise last another week or so as I have to offload a lot of shares that I have in my SAYE scheme. The thoughts of the CGT is absolutely sickening, if the market wasn't so volatile I'd probably sell in dribs and drabs over a few years in order to fly under the radar for CGT.

The Tesla bubble is well and truly busted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

The stock is way over-priced imo and has been for a long time. Admittingly not as bad as last year. The clever ones got out then.

Add to that the big motor players will catch up and produce better built electrics before long.

It will no doubt be volitile as Musk can sway it with a tweet or two, providing Twitter doesn't go bankrupt....

Tesla shareholders must be grimacing watching that mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tesla's Cash Flow last quarter was $3.3B with a ROI of 31,45%. Sales grew 55% in 12 months. It is starting to generate positive cash flows now.

Say at 15 times annual cash flow, that would value it at about $200B. It's market cap currently at 600B or 45 times cash flow. Still overvalued but the question is, how much further will it grow.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

My PYPL shares were making me nervous when the sp dipped to $65 AH last week after earnings... Glad they've rebounded.

If only my RKLB shares could come back from the dead before I'm old and grey! SMH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Not really. If you invest in equities then you can't really lose imo, provided you stay in the market. Even if things go tits up, you can carry your losses forward indefinitely and use them against any future gains. You can't carry forward your losses from ETFs, they're less tax efficient and you will likely be paying annual fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JimmyKane

I'm thinking of increasing my position in Tesla...am I better off buying in euro or US dollar?

I have an Interactive Brokers account and I can buy in USD from the Nasdaq and it would cost me €2 in fees (€1 exchange fee to convert any amount from euro to USD, and €1 to make a purchase).

Alternatively, I could buy TL0 which as far as I can see is buying Tesla in euros from TGD. This obviously means no exchange fees but the flat fee to purchase is €3.

So buying in USD seems cheaper, but is there anything else to consider? Strength of dollar v euro currently etc? Fees when selling etc?

The above transaction costs are negligible/irrelevant to currency risk. I also suspect you are underestimating the actual transaction costs.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any thoughts here on Disney?

Boat missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Long term holder, but I'm 10-15% underwater at the moment. Hope Bob Iger can put a fire under the Share Price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tesla is denominated in dollars, it’s primary listing is on the New York exchange, this is not a decision, buy in dollars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No , stock has gone nowhere in seven years, will revisit lows at the very least, it’s not a cheap stock yet has disappointed recently

NIO flying today

+ 22%

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Feel sick as I locked in losses of a certain chinese stock of over 10k when Xi was re-elected and everything tanked. Had been DCA'ing in for years and panic sold as fearful of the taiwan situation.

It's boomed about 40% since and I've missed gains of probably 4k back.

My portfolio is down 18% overall and the currency is doing me in despite my stocks going up.

I'll have to look at deep red for probably 5+ years just to get back at break even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Never built up such a big position in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The Share Picks thread is sadly lacking in ahem! share picks recently 😔

Soo, here goes, anybody looking at taking a punt on Activision-Blizzard (ATVI). Can be picked up around $75 now...(they were $65 pre deal announcement in Jan 2022)... if the deal with Microsoft closes it will be $95 per share, even if it doesn't happen, ATVI will be in line for a few Billion in termination fee's.

Obviously DYOR ....and usual caviats apply, the main one as I see it is that gaming stocks got hammered since Jan 2022... soo there is a likelihood that had the deal never been announced, the ATVI share price might be a lot lower than $65 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'll have a look. What do you think of CD Project Red long-term? I've been eyeing them up for a while, despite their Cyberpunk problems it made tonnes of money, they have a next gen Witcher 3 upgrade that launches for free on the 14th that might shift a few units. But more importantly they have several Witcher and Cyberpunk properties in development. Earnings soon, tempted to wait until after that. Any thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Zoom Technologies is trading at a 1yr low. It may be worth taking a small punt on it as a takeover target

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ctomas

Planning on buying some Lending Club shares and some Lemonade shares over the next week or so, probably 2/3s Lending Club to 1/3 lemonade. Both will be small portions overall.

I don't know too much about gaming companies in general, soo can't comment. ATVI is a special case as there's a binding offer on the table for the company.

Nice run up in Alibaba over the last Month. $63 to $91 now.

Where is the lad on here that has his life savings invested in them? Hope he had diamond hands and stayed long ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Most people have lost there shirt with Baba and are heavily under water. I had an average of $160, I doubled down a few months back when it went to $110 and got out when it bounced to $130 with a small loss.

It's no Amazon, any hope of that went when Jack Ma was sidelined, it never will be anything more than a Chinese Government company now for milking profits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

That portfolio is so diverse, Qatari officials may request that you take it down

That might have been me. Lost 12k and locked it in. Sold at worst possible time. Was worried about another Russian situation with Taiwan. I panic sold when it was down 15% in a day. I can't stop thinking about it now. I'm sickened.

And currency is **** me over. I'm down 20% now and keep going down despite the rally.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, farmer. I think the trick with investing is to diversify ... Profits will be less, but losses are limited too.

I moved the remains of that into brk.b and even though it's rallied in the last month, USD weakening is sucking the life out of it and every red day hits heavy.

All my portfolio seems to be doing is going down. I need a straight 25% gain to break even now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I mean this in the best way, but if you're going to sell on a 15% down day and feel you've been hit heavy on every red day, you shouldn't invest, at least not in individual stocks.

I went through 2 years of down days with BABA.

The taiwan talk had ramped up.

And yes, I'm getting hit hard on red days when USD is weakening. For example USD is down .6% today and BRK.B (where most of my money is) is down .65 pre market.

Bad couple of days, but onwards and upwards.

Anybody looking at stocks that might benefit from China relaxing Covid restrictions ? Picked up a couple of shares of Wynn resorts (WYNN) today. (Their single biggest resort is in Chinese controlled Macau)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The degiro annual reports for 2022 are available, makes for grim reading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'll be ignoring that email thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vinnyda

Still waiting to get mine, capital gains need to be declared to revenue by the 15 of December I think, hopefully I'll get it in the coming ďays, anyone else waiting to get it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Checked my report, good year with one big winner. I'll pay the CGT this morning I am however due a refund from 2021 which I submitted the return in Sept and still waiting the refund. Been told since Oct its pending approval!

All my US holdings are trending downwards with the strength of the USD falling. Annoying but can't have it both ways really.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I got mine from Degiro. I got no email but was just there a few days ago when went in. I just went onto Revenue then to pay CGT which was very straightforward (funny how they make paying so easy!). I hate paying CGT. Need to get bette at managing the sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What parts of that report do you use to calculate your losses for the year (or gains if it was a good year - 2022 wasn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I just took my total gains and netted off losses. Thats listed at start of report. So say I gained 4k and lost 2k that was net gain of 2k. Then there is allowance of 1270 exempt from gains so there would be 730 taxable gain and I would pay at 33%. I think you might be allowed adjust for tx fees but not material anyway for me. Thats how I approached it. Ill do tax return next year for it. Id no carried losses to adjust off (used up last year!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vinnyda

Thanks @ theboringfox, my report still is not in my inbox, I presume you could get it on the app. I went to inbox, then documents, I can see the 2 reports for 2021 and the previous years but 2022 still is not there. I have mailed degiro and hopefully they will compile the report soon.

It makes a change for me to be paying CGT, the last several years I have being down 50 + percent in my portfolio which were mostly aussie lithium miners but held throughout, 2021 saw a nice reversal and I decided to cash out some positions this year.

I think I remember last year someone saying the DeGiro reports weren't 100% accurate.

I just find it easier to track in excel.

Download account statement from DeGiro for selected timeframe.

In one tab I have all my purchased shares I currently still own. In my sales tab I have my sold shares per year. I also have a bought shares per year tab for informational purposes.

Then any shares I've sold, I put these in a "2022 sales" tab with the euro income. Then I get the shares from the "currently owned shares" tab and cut and paste them into the sales tab with the euro cost. Then all I need to do is autosum to get the profit/loss.

I've found Degiro reports accurate.

Interested to hear why someone would say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Well I'm gone to cash on everything apart for my shares purchased via bonus options that have to be left for 3 years for tax purposes.

I just feel there's just far too many things to go wrong in the overall global economy.

Sell when the market is low?

I can never understand this strategy, but good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I invest in the Australian stock market and over the past year, there has been a 2% appreciation against the Euro vs the 7% decline in the Euro vs the US$. Lucky me. My catch a falling knife buy in of BHP has worked out well, with a 22% up swing, made even sweeter by the 12% didvidend.

Advertisement