Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Build, questions and rough costs

• 17-11-2022 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking to build a standard enough house, 4/5 bedroom. 180 square meters.

Among many things im confused about:

1. To run the whole thing from planning permission to finish of building, who is best to engage 1. An architect 2. An engineer
    2. What are the rough costs of gardening/landscaping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭obi604

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tall Architect

Start by employing an architect. The engineering portion will be small on a domestic project and without an accurate set of drawings, it would be difficult to get accurate costings from a QS or builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I added up the soft costs of my build. Came in north of 25k. Granted I had an engineer and an architect but it’s still a chunk before a block is laid.

For landscaping the sky is the limit. Just for hardwood hedging and wire fence on 50 metres of road I’m paying close to 2k. Piers and kerbing came in at 4k. Boundary fence is 2k. Tarmac is probably 10k. That’s not looking at lawn and planting.

It’s essentially a hole for money and I’m not sure if I’d do it again.

thanks, yeah, 25k just like that. and as you say before you even start the build.

Would you recommend the architect AND the engineer? or could you have gotten away with just the engineer?

feck, it is a hole for money alright !!

I needed an engineer for the insulated ring beam and as it is ICF he did drawings and signed off on that as well as he was quite well acquainted with that method. The architect was for project management. He did come in useful on a few occasions and needed his signature for mortgage tbh.

I did it more as an insurance policy tbh.

just choose your architect wisely is my advice.

• Advertisement

thanks, choose from what point of view, just everything really as they underpin the whole scenario?

Choose one with a good rep basically. Get recommendations. Do your due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You'd want to be able to print money building these days.

I suppose op try to stick to your budget as much as possible. Re landscaping is that something that could wait a year or so? Just get the place looking clean until you have a few quid again.

We built our extension and refursbished the house and the one thing i didnt scrimp on was insulation. Rememer you will be in the house forwever and you will never be finished.

Consider hollow core doors starting out.

You can get nice bathrooms without using the best tiles and sanitary ware etc.

Laminate flooring is sensible especially if you have young kids.

You dont need massive bedrooms. If you are building a 5 bed no reason why you couldnt bring it back to 160 sqm for example.

thanks for those tips, I guess I could push some things off alright

however, the more I get in to it, the more and more I am thinking of NOT building. Sad state of affairs really but the costs just seem silly, even before I start.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

And use a Poroton block, can build so fast with them, and they're much better that a 1960 cavity block wall wit a sheet of styro foam shoved in the middle, wtf

Pay an architect 30k, no thanks, just pick a house and buy the plans online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Is it that simple though? In reality you would want someone independent on hand to keep the builder honest and ensure that no corners are cut.

An Engineer to bring it from design phase to sign off might be the best way to go. But that won't be cheap either.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the vast majority of architect don't cost 30K to design a dwelling.

if you buy plans online then

1. you dont get a plan specifically designed for the site it will be located on. it wont take account of views, sun path etc
    2. you dont get a house specifically designed for the homeowners wants.
    3. if you want to make changes to the prescribed design, its gonna cost you !
    4. you still have to engage a professional to prepare "building regulation complaint drawings" in order to have a valid commencement notice submitted.
    5. you still have to get someone to prepare the specification for construction, and ensure it complies with building regulations, especially Part L
    6. you still need to engage someone to inspect the build and sign off the construction on site,

you could easily be looking at 8-10K to do these things you still have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

I came across below post recently and having built a house ~6 years ago myself, the post below IMO is one of the most detailed and accurate costings for a house build. It may be of some use.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/115100739/#Comment_115100739

Yeah, from 2 years ago as well. Imagine those figures plus another 40%.

Oh lord, had forgotten that.

this could definitely be a non runner before I even start the process.

Honestly, I’d just go for a modestly sized home, <200 sq metres, of simple design (no dormers or ‘extensions’). This will ensure it performs very well.

Sink the money into the fabric and finish. No point building bedrooms that will only rarely be used. People spend a lot of money for guest rooms, maybe 50k.

I’d much rather have a 150 square metre house with high spec finish and furniture, nicely landscaped, automatic gate, tarmac etc, than a 250 mansion with average finish, ikea furnishings, 804 and a mound of topsoil out the front for 5 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement