Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naturally Fine Tuned for Life - A Defence of Metaphysical Naturalism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks for this. Couple of thoughts:

In defence of the "made man in his own image" concept, even in my childhood back in the late middle ages, the sixpenny catechism did explain that "this likeness to God is chiefly in the soul" - i.e. it is is humanity's spiritual capacities that are supposed to image God, not our genitals (or in any physical characteristic).

As for why just one designer, SFAIK nobody specifies just one designer. The designer could certainly be a collective - e.g., I mischievously suggest, a Trinity. 😉

And, as for why just one designed universe - again, I don't think the hypothesis requires that. But two thoughts do occur. One is that we have to define "universe". If we assume a designer, then a perfectly cromulent definition of "universe" is "all that the designer has designed". In which case, we might have a single "universe" that embraces a number of parallel, segregated, mutually inaccessible realities. Obviously, existing in one of those realities, we would have no way of empirically observing any of the others, but they would all be part of the "universe", and you would defend that by saying that the designer can observe them all. But that's just a semantic point about what we mean when we say "universe".

The other, slightly more substantial, thought is that I can see William of Ockham getting very shirty. We're not supposed to postulate entities unnecessarily. If the "necessity" for the postulated multiverse is to avoid the need for an intelligent designer, where is the necessity for postulating both an intelligent designer and a multiplicity of universes?

No doubt, though, it's unfair to suggest that the multiverse is hypothesised simply to avoid the embarrassment of an intelligent designer who might or might not share something in common with the Christian concept of God. I somehow doubt that that is a consideration which would have carried much weight with, say, Hawkings; no doubt he had much more scientifically respectable grounds for hypothesising a multiverse.

But that brings me back to a question I raised earlier. To what extent is the multiverse hypothesised as an alternative to asserting that it is a fortuitous coincidence that our universe has just the "right" constants? If we take intelligent design off the table completely and assume that the choice comes down to just those two, surely Ockham would say, well, the "fortuitous coincidence" explanation is to be favoured? Is there a reason for not going with Ockham on this?

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

And, as for why just one designed universe - again, I don't think the hypothesis requires that. But two thoughts do occur. One is that we have to define "universe". If we assume a designer, then a perfectly cromulent definition of "universe" is "all that the designer has designed". In which case, we might have a single "universe" that embraces a number of parallel, segregated, mutually inaccessible realities. Obviously, existing in one of those realities, we would have no way of empirically observing any of the others, but they would all be part of the "universe", and you would defend that by saying that the designer can observe them all. But that's just a semantic point about what we mean when we say "universe".

If you consider the universe to be all of space and time and their contents and postulate a designer that created this universe from outside of the universe, you are de facto implying at least one more universe (the one the designer occupies which has time and space to create universes) and hence a multiverse. From my understanding, a universe within an multiverse is commonly understood to be an unbounded space time continuum and its contents. Thus your single "universe" that embraces a number of parallel, segregated, mutually inaccessible realities is what most would understand to be a universe within a multiverse. Once you go down that path we're back to every possible set of realities potentially existing and any reason for needing a designer evaporating.

All good fun in terms of logic games but no reason to suspect any of it is actually true. From the various hypotheses out there, we seem to be grasping for the least unlikely option which also has the lesser amount of cognitive bias. Personally, a multiverse hypothesis ranks higher than a loose intelligent design hypothesis which in turn ranks considerably higher than a Christian 'Science' notion of Intelligent Design (tm). Intelligent design of any kind, as I see it, demands a multiverse which is where our friend William of Ockham puts the boot (or razor) in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

...and of course doesn't answer the question of what created the creator...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,123 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Where do you put "there's just this universe, and the fact that the universal constants favour the development of consciousness is just fortuitous" in your hierarchy of likelihood?

• Advertisement

Difficult to say, probably somewhere between multiverse and loose intelligent design if pushed, though as per my previous post, I think we attach far too much importance to the significance of human consciousness in a universal scheme of things. Firstly, we have no reason to conclude that it is unique within the universe, nor do we know enough about the nature of the universe to do anything other than guess at the probability of its emergence from our universe. I find the argument that intelligence is an emergent property of large interconnected networks to be a reasonable one. This in turn allows for very many classes of intelligence that are radically different than our own. Given consciousness is entirely subjective, we don't really know where else it might exist and in what form. I also think it is feasible that we will create conscious artificial intelligence at some point in the future, either by design or accidentally. Would this make us intelligent designers? Could what we make be a major improvement on ourselves?

The danger of purely speculative hypotheses such as these is that that they are never ending and impossible to conclusively deal with. At some point we have to dismiss, or put to onside, those that seem least probable. That said, the speculation is fun and imagining what might be is often the precursor to greater understanding of, or even inventing, what is.

I'm not making any argument based on human consciousness. And the argument based on consciousness, as I understand it (and, health warning, it may be that I understand it poorly) is not so much that consciousness is all that crash-hot in itself, but that the conditions that allow consciousness to develop — the conditions that allow the universe to develop large interconnected networks from which intelligence will emerge — have extremely narrow parameters and, if the characteristics of the universe are randomly set, the likelihood that the universe would fall within those parameters is vanishingly small. And yet, it does fall within those parameters, as evidenced by our own existence. And to explain this apparently improbable coincidence we hypothesise (a) intelligent design or (b) the multiverse.

My problem is that, while the likelihood that the universe would have the particular characteristics that it does may be vanishingly small, it is no smaller than the likelihood that the universe would have any other particular set of characteristics. Whatever kind of universe popped out of the big bang, it could be said that that precise universe was an incredibly unlikely outcome. An extremely unlikely event was, in a sense, inevitable, and therefore the fact that it was this extremely unlikely event doesn't look to me like providing robust grounds for hypothesising either the intelligent designer or the multiverse.

Which leaves me curious as to why you would put random contingency below the multiverse explanation. My instinct would be to favour random contingency as the simplest explanation, ahead of both the multiverse and the intelligent designer, and to argue that it's impossible to rank those two as they are both wholly speculative and unevidenced.

You could well be right. My own feeling is that we simply don't understand the problem well enough to draw any defensible conclusions. As for random contingency, statistically, if we see an outcome that seems highly improbable based on a single random input, we ask why? Possible solutions are that there is a problem with our stochastic model that leads us to conclude the outcome is improbable, or that there are in fact many more inputs that balance out the probability (i.e. multiverses). My instinct, which is admittedly not a particularly solid basis here, is that we lack the degree of understanding of the nature of either the workings of the universe or the formation of consciousness to make definitive statements about the emergence of consciousness from the universe. i.e. our stochastic model is flawed or incomplete. Sean Carroll's dismissal of the fine tuning argument here seem entirely reasonable from my perspective on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Consciousness biologically always seems to me to have derived naturally as a necessity for complex organism to make decisions rather than depending on say tentacles with a limited amount of perception of what's out there beyond their immediate vicinity. Those decisions will depend on their survival as a species, otherwise if there was no consciousness capable of making decisions they would be wiped out by naturalistic events, e.g there is a volcano erupting lets make a run for it.

As for the fine tuned universe, and taking Roger Penroses' theory into account which isn't exactly a multiverse, but that the big bang is one of a series of sequential universes i.e not existing at the same time but linearly, one universe after the other after the other, then if this has gone on to infinity in the past and will go in the the future then all sorts of scenarios in terms of concussions could exist. What I'm saying in consciousness may not be limited to biological organisms, even in our iteration of our universe.

I must say I've always thought a one off big bang that expands into heat death over time to be implausible. Because that would be a one-off event even if it takes a very long time to play out, so I'm with Penrose on his theory.

In the discussion below, William Lane Craig argues that the mystery of our existence, i.e abstract ideas, mathematical truths, and personal experiences, can be explained by a divine creator. I'm impressed with Craig's knowledge of cosmology and quantum physics him being a theologian. But as Penrose says here, Craigs 'explanation' doesn't add any value, i.e, you can't test his theory to see if it's true. And Craig can't explain how an entity can not just 'design' a naturalistic universe but even create it in the first place no mind design it. So I don't think Craig's argument that the universe can't be created out of nothing, self create say, when he himself is saying that God created it out of nothing as well.

I think it's no more implausible that time goes infinitely to the past therefore there was no beginning than his divine solution. Both are mind bending but his is more mind-bending imo and a lazy solution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

In the discussion below, William Lane Craig argues [...]

WC - professional word-saladist extraordinaire - is certainly going for the Jordan Peterson look!

Anyhow, dreadful shame that somebody of the stature of Roger Penrose is wasting his time with the likes of WC.

• Advertisement

Those initials are appropriate

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'd be of the opinion that universes are common but most are unstable. Try to make your own bubble mixture. Most of your recipes won't be able to support a stable bubble. But if you get it right you can blow a bubble the size of a house

A universe with life in it, requires a stable bubble and the right nuclear forces that allow for stable fusion in stars.a gazillion popped bubbles to one stable bubble is still a realistic ratio given what we know about how many particles and stars there are in the observed universe

I think Penrose came off badly in that discussion.

Craig is a philosopher as well as a theologian, and he certainly knows his stuff. Penrose is 'just' a theoretical cosmologist, and nothing else. Well we can all have theories. His theory on sequential universes isn't really an idea that even a child couldn't muster up. In fact I've even thought of that possibility myself before I ever heard of Penrose, because the idea of a one off big bang where the universe eventually expands till it's dead as a one off event never seemed plausible to me.

What I would say to Craig is we don't need a transcendent being to have moral values, which is what Craig always says. He says that moral values have to come from somewhere otherwise moral values are just relative and that any particular moral value is just subjective.

But I don't think that's right. We (humans) can decide what moral values are ourselves without them being dictated to us by a divine creator.

Penrose is 'just' a theoretical cosmologist, and nothing else. Well we can all have theories. His theory on sequential universes isn't really an idea that even a child couldn't muster up. In fact I've even thought of that possibility myself before I ever heard of Penrose, because the idea of a one off big bang where the universe eventually expands till it's dead as a one off event never seemed plausible to me.

A wee bit more than that, from wikipedia

Sir Roger Penrose OM FRS HonFInstP (born 8 August 1931)[1] is a British mathematicianmathematical physicistphilosopher of science and Nobel Laureate in Physics.[2] He is Emeritus Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics in the University of Oxford, an emeritus fellow of Wadham College, Oxford, and an honorary fellow of St John's College, Cambridge and University College London.[3][4][5]

Penrose has contributed to the mathematical physics of general relativity and cosmology. He has received several prizes and awards, including the 1988 Wolf Prize in Physics, which he shared with Stephen Hawking for the Penrose–Hawking singularity theorems,[6] and one half of the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics "for the discovery that black hole formation is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity".[7][8][9][10][a] He is regarded as one of the greatest living physicists, mathematicians and scientists, and is particularly noted for the breadth and depth of his work in both natural and formal sciences.

Penrose's conformal cyclic model is certainly interesting and also does away with the fine tuning argument. The discussion here on quora merits a read in my opinion and gives a decent introduction to those of us that aren't theoretical cosmologists.

Well I did knee-jerk react in response to @robindch left wing-ish comparison of WLC to Peterson. I thought we didn't do that sort of thing here.

WLC makes the point that there is such a think as transcendent time, and this has noting to do with Einsteins theory of general relativity, where for those that don't know is that time does not pass at the same rate for 'everything' in the universe or more precisely at every point in space.

Been getting my head around the idea that time slows down the closer and closer a thing moves in space to the speed of light. This has been proven, but it seems to me that all that happens is the movement of quantum particles slows down the faster they move through space (not time itself), and this has noting to do with transcendent time, as WLC pointed out to Penrose.

I don't think Penrose's cyclical model does anything to prove there was no beginning of the universe, or universes, aeons he has christened them. It is only Quantum mechanics that can prove that, not cosmology.

So again we are still left with the age old problem, how can the universe form out of nothing. Until Quantum Mechanics can show that either time is infinite in the past or particles can form out of nothing we're really not any closer than we ever were to proving there was no divine creator. Not that I'm saying there was a divine creator just that we still can't disprove it.

Anyone who would then go on to posit "we don't know, therefore goddidit" is a charlatan (being charitable in my choice of word there)

In any case offloading the "problem" to a supernatural creator doesn't resolve anything. If everything needs a creator then what created the creator?

It's not the job of atheists or physicists or anyone else to disprove the theories of theists / creationists. It's up to the latter to evidence them. Something they continue to completely and utterly fail at. The burden of proof lies entirely with those putting forward the contention that god(s) exist but attempting to reverse this burden ("you can't prove god doesn't exist") is a particularly common and disingenous tactic of the god botherers.

Life ain't always empty.

I don't think Penrose's cyclical model does anything to prove there was no beginning of the universe, or universes, aeons he has christened them. It is only Quantum mechanics that can prove that, not cosmology.

Penrose's cyclical model is a theoretical one, it does not aim to prove anything, it investigates a possibility and tests whether that possibility reasonably stacks up with our current accumulated knowledge, limited as that is (i.e. is it supported by evidence, is it contradicted by evidence?). This is largely how theoretical sciences work, they remain theoretical until such a time as there is sufficient evidence to make them practicably applicable or the theory is shown to be incorrect.

Lane by comparison is a philosopher and Christian apologist. His efforts appear to be directed towards explaining the nature of the universe in such a way as to be agreeable to his pre-existing belief system. To my mind, that is a starting position loaded with confirmation bias based on inheriting an accepted truth based on faith.

Well I did knee-jerk react in response to @robindch left wing-ish comparison of WLC to Peterson. I thought we didn't do that sort of thing here.

Uh, "Left-wingish"? Have a look at WC's face above, then take a look at a picture of Peterson :)

Lane by comparison is a philosopher and Christian apologist.

I would dispute this characterization and suggest instead that WC is a sophist and a religious evangelist with a record of, amongst many other sins against honest enquiry, of cheerfully justifying religious slaughter.

However, what you and Hotblack say is quite correct - WC starts from the position that his interpretation of the bible is infallible then says whatever he feels he needs to say in order to prop up this point of view. This is lots of things, but it ain't useful - limiting one's search to confirming facts is the province of the conspiracy theorist, not the honest philosopher.

Funny enough, looks aside, I'd say Lane has quite a bit in common with Peterson in terms of use of rhetoric to defend a conservative religious worldview. There's also rather a lot in common with Christian apologetics and philosophy on the one hand and religious evangelism and sophistry on the other. Lane could well be an honest philosopher, all that really demands is that he believes what he is saying to be true. Not quite sure how you'd characterize an honest philosopher, look up sophist for example and philosopher's what you get 😉

Not quite sure how you'd characterize an honest philosopher, look up sophist for example and philosopher's what you get.

Well, "sophist" in the sense spoken of in the Gorgias dialog, in which Plato compares Socrates the philosopher to the Gorgias the Sophist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgias_(dialogue)

Paraphrasing the above: Socrates gets Gorgias to agree that the sophist can convince an ignorant audience more easily than an expert can, since a sophist's mastery of the techniques of persuasion is often more convincing than the use of mere facts, as an expert might use. Gorgias accepts this and says that sophists can be considered as more persuasive than experts, but unlike experts, don't need to know anything of substance. Socrates calls sophistry a form of flattery which superficially adorns an absence of knowledge, rather than engages in an informed study of what is really true.

Can't say that I disagree with that.

Things don't seem to have changed much since the days of Ancient Athens either - flagrant chancers, like WC, gonna chance when there's easy money or reputation to be earned.

• Advertisement

Anyone who would then go on to posit "we don't know, therefore goddidit" is a charlatan (being charitable in my choice of word there)

WLC does not argue 'goddidit', he argues that the universe had a beginning and everything in a naturalistic world has a cause - the Kalam Cosmological argument. He largely leaves his Christian beliefs behind in cosmological/physics debates.

In any case offloading the "problem" to a supernatural creator doesn't resolve anything. If everything needs a creator then what created the creator?

But it does, because a divine creator wouldn't need a naturalistic cause, because a divine creator (if one exists at all) is hardly made of protons and electrons. So you can't assume a divine creator needs a creator itself at all. When you think of a God and where it came from you are thinking in naturalistic terms which is wrong.

It's not the job of atheists or physicists or anyone else to disprove the theories of theists / creationists. It's up to the latter to evidence them. Something they continue to completely and utterly fail at. The burden of proof lies entirely with those putting forward the contention that god(s) exist but attempting to reverse this burden ("you can't prove god doesn't exist") is a particularly common and disingenous tactic of the god botherers

Well yes but then why did Sean Carroll debate WLC then.

You could argue both of them are biased. That Carroll and WLC formed their views on the naturalistic universe working backwards from their fundamental beliefs. You could equally say Carroll is a sophist as well when he has gone out of his way to disprove any possibility of an outside source that caused the universe.

Socrates gets Gorgias to agree that the sophist can convince an ignorant audience more easily than an expert can,

WLC hasn't convinced me of anything. What I do know about him is that he is a fierce debater and often far more lucid in his arguments that the people he debates.

"A divine creator can exist out of nothing because *supernatural woo-ey stuff*" is hardly a rigorous argument.

Life ain't always empty.

he is [...] often far more lucid in his arguments that the people he debates.

In my experience, the only people who have agreed to waste their time discussing anything with him in public are either, like the unfortunate and elderly Roger Penrose above, hopelessly naive or foolish, or like Christopher Hitchens, capable of enough showmanship to beat him at his own oratorical games.

If a divine creator or at least an outside source for the existence of the universe exists then that outside source is not 'supernatural' in itself (because it came first if it exists), it is only 'supernatural' to those in the naturalistic universe.

Anyway if the universe came into being 'out of nothing' then why equally wouldn't a divine creator come 'out of nothing'. You have the exact same problem in both cases whichever you believe or logically think to be the case.

Now because I detect a note of ridicule in your response I have to remind you I never said I believe there is any outside source for the existence of the universe. In truth I just find the whole topic interesting to think about and don't feel compelled to believe anything either way.

It's been some years since I watched the Hitchens vs WLC debate but in terms of a debate and being a fan of Hitchens at the time that was the worst performance I've seen from him and was criticized at the time by his fans for letting Craig get the better of him. Hitchens wasn't prepared. One can loose a debate but still be right of course.

If a divine creator or at least an outside source for the existence of the universe exists then that outside source is not 'supernatural' in itself (because it came first if it exists), it is only 'supernatural' to those in the naturalistic universe.

If that divine creator exists and can currently exert influence on the natural universe from outside that universe it is by definition supernatural. There is also no more evidence to suggest such a being exists than for any other supernatural entity, whether part of folklore such as the tooth fair or santa, or entirely imagined such as the Great Green Arkleseziure. There is so much claimed by Christian mythology that runs contrary to current scientific understanding, e.g. Adam & Eve, Noah's Ark etc..., that I fail to see the mileage in trying to align a Christian creation story with any given cosmology other than to support cognitive bias. It also seems to run contrary to the notion of faith not demanding proof.

With regard to the 'fine tuning' argument, I would argue that he who puts it necessarily implies that there exists an intelligent creator; the entity that consciously 'sets the dials', so to speak. Right? And since WLC has been mentioned, this 'creator' transcends space and time. I think that a 'consciousness' that exists outside of space and time is problematic and in my view, it can be clearly shown that absent some form of causal space in which to exist, 'consciousness' simply could not occur. And if it can be shown that prior to the creation of space and time, no conscious beings of any sort existed then that would rule out the possibility of 'someone setting dials' and the 'fine tuning argument' could be rightly binned.

This is how I see it. 'In the beginning, God said, "Let there be light," and there was light and God saw that it was good.'

That sequence from the Bible, (loosely), suggests that God went through a process of asking Himself what it was He desires before deciding that He desired 'light' whereupon He created 'light'. How could that sequence take place without occurring over 'time'? And how can God have thoughts at all if there is no 'space' in which to organize them? When we think, one part of our mind 'talks' to another part of the mind and that requires spacial separation. Without time, how could thoughts 'flow' and without space, where would they flow to or from? It seems clear to me that space and time are prerequisites for consciousness and like music, without a space for a stage upon which to perform and a time over which a performance can unfold, 'consciousness' is meaningless.

I am not claiming that God does not exist but rather, if God does indeed exist, He is a lot younger than He looks and given that His 'consciousness' became manifest after the creation of some form of 'space' and 'time', He cannot possibly be responsible for setting up any of the parameters that gave rise to the characteristics and properties of the Universe in which He exists.

Another way of looking at this, as per one of my previous posts, is that if God exists outside of this universe in another place with its own space and time, that is by definition another universe and therefore to believe in God you must also believe in a multiverse. Given the fine tuning argument does not stand up where we have an unknown multiple number of universes, the fine tuning argument as an argument for the existence of a creator is fundamentally flawed and we're back to turtles all the way down.

• Advertisement

Well, theoretically, you could have an infinite number of universes all of which are 'fine tuned'. The set of all universes does not necessarily contain any universes where the physical constants vary at all. I mean, You could have a baker constantly producing cakes based on a single recipe for an infinite amount of time and he will never produce a Lasagne or a Baked Alaska from his oven. Although there may be infinite variations of the cake, all of them are made from the same ingredients according to the same set of rules.

For me though, even if the multiverse hypothesis, such as it is, is correct, the existence of a baker, his kitchen, his ingredients, his mixing bowls, his oven and, in particular, his recipe is contingent upon the pre-existence of some spacial framework that supports causality. (I actually prefer to put it this way because I don't believe that 'time' is anything but an abstraction. But that's another story.)

Another small issue. If before He 'Let there be light' God existed in an environment outside of space and time, then His desire to create light and the creation of light would exist at a singularity and that makes it impossible to know whether it was the existence of light that caused God to desire light or vice versa. By infer that one caused the other we acknowledge the existence of a spacetime-type environment within which the mind of God is contained. Without the spacetime-type environment, God Himself would be unable to differentiate between His desires and His actions and therefore could not be credited with any coherent plan.

However you cut it, the existence of a universe is a prerequisite for the existence of a God. And if God does exist, He had absolutely nothing to do with the relationship between energy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Also, what if the fundamental constants were different to what they are? Would that necessarily mean that no processes of change would be possible in a universe where the speed of light is slightly different? As long as interactions take place, any universe with any set of parameters will result in ordered systems of one sort or another. There may be no stars or planets as we understand them in those universes but I am quite certain that at some scale, all universes will exhibit structures that are analogous to atoms, planets, stars, etc. And at some scale, something analogous to 'life' would emerge.

Frankly, I think it would be far more helpful to discard the notion of 'fine tuning' altogether and replace it with the notion of 'natural resonance'. Without doubt, it is quite remarkable that every point along its circumference is equidistant to the centre of a circle but do we need to postulate the existence of a God responsible for endowing circles with that property? Wouldn't the properties of a circle be precisely the same in any universe regardless of any change in the speed of light?

So yes, I agree with you but for slightly different reasons maybe. :)

Advertisement