Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recorded content on old Virgin box

• 29-11-2022 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

We're looking to upgrade from a very old digibox to a 360 box. First person I spoke to at Virgin said we could just hook up the old box and watch the recorded stuff as needed. Then on a follow up call they said no it wasn't possible, the old box would be de-activated. Anyone know which is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

The latter is correct. If you get a 360 box, they wont allow you to use older boxes as multi-room. If you want multi room , they will force you to take a new slim down box that connects to the 360 box.

You can archive contents from your current box with a hauppauge colossus 2 tv card and put them on a usb stick. The quality is perfect, you wont notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

I originally bought it to backup my recordings from a sky Hd box, before i moved to Virgin. But bare in mind if you want to do it, you would also need a hdcp bypass hdmi splitter, which are very cheap on amazon or ebay. Mine cost 10 euro just a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It would be a a very slow process to archive material from an old Virgin/Sky box as it is realtime recording. If the recordings have some sentimental value it may be worth the effort.

Advertisement