Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query regarding my recent X rays

Options
  • 02-12-2022 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I recently had my six monthly appointment (NHS) and it was a new (to me) dentist. They have said I need quite a lot of work done which was news to me as I'd had (as far as I was told) a clear x-ray and clean bill of health six months ago and never had any problems with my teeth. I'm 38. Is there anyone who can give an unbiased opinion of my x rays please? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You need quite a lot of work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 john6004

Thanks for your reply, are you able to expand on this at all please, what do you see as wrong? I am finding it hard to understand after 38 years and a clean bill of health 6 months ago how I can need quite a lot of work done within a period of 6 months, nothing has changed in regards to diet or general health. Any advice or opinion is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Yup, your teeth have ghosts. You should do cocaine.

X-rays in themselves don’t tell the complete story and should be used as an adjunct to physical examination of the teeth. I can see a number of teeth which appear to have cavities, but would need to also see the teeth to confirm.

But I can tell you, it looks like you need quite a lot of work done. If you want a second opinion, you need to bring them to another dentist, not expect a diagnosis on the internet.

Thanks, I will get a second opinion with another dentist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

OP. Did you consider asking what the work was? I can't believe the Dentist didn't explain and left you with an X-Ray to outline from people out on the street what that work was?

In Ireland a lot of folks don't go to the dentist often, even if check and scale and polish is free for everyone. Then into their 40's, complaining about the bloody dentist tells me my rotten teeth and gum disease need treatment, oh the robbing ..... etc.

Yes, I asked, I didn't want to put it here as wanted an unbiased opinion but she said I needed 5 fillings. I expressed surprise at this as I'd never had a filling before and had no indication of any problem at my last appointment six months before (when I also had x-rays). It was a new dentist (new to me anyway) so I was of course sceptical about this. I started to ask more questions but was told basically she was right and my time at the appointment was up and that was it. When I'd gathered my thoughts I went back later in the day to ask for a copy of the X rays. I have a small blemish on one tooth which I've had with no problems for over 15 years and I didn't know if she was going overboard with all this work. I asked if we could monitor the situation to see if they actually got worse as she'd never seen my teeth before and she said no. So I am booking a second opinion elsewhere and I do feel quite anxious about the whole thing. If I do have to have the fillings what has gone wrong with my teeth within 6 months for a start.

The cavities extend between the teeth, it is unlikely that you will see them when you look in a mirror, at least one of them is quite deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I can see a half dozen early decay lesions and one big one on a premolar that may need a root canal? The clinical picture would add to that, but thats what I see off those X-rays, they are of good diagnostic quality for decay between the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

The other option is to stop eating ice creams : )

• Advertisement
Advertisement