Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

"Magical"

Let me get this straight, you are calling the celtic tiger bubble a magical time....and not a symptom of completely unsustainable policies and practices etc

I mean it may have been magical for some for a short period of time.....

Is my tongue in cheek radar off or are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Seems to have thought he could just double his money with Anglo

Very foolish , he must be gullible in some respects

Alan Dukes is another one who would sicken your hole. Wasn't he a mouth piece for big tobacco at some point? Or very pro smoking, remember him being trotted out around ash Wednesday to be a counter to anti smoking groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭eggy81

Nearly sounds like he’d lost his marbles a bit to me.

I think it refers to a theory that he paid for certain individual(s) to be intimidated etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

PMSL, they lied to Quinn! They didn't have a rashers what Quinn was up to until it was too late, not that they covered themselves in glory when they found out.

We keep hearing about how Quinns interests in Anglo was formed through CFDs but the thing that's never sat well with me is that when a CFD goes south, the loser typically pays the difference between the contracted price and the current share price, no shares are necessarily bought or sold.

When Quinns CFDs went south, he purchased the full amount of shares, almost as if it was written in the contract that neither the buyer or seller could just pay the margin, so not your common or garden CFD.

With this in mind you have to ask yourself why anyone would enter such a transaction and the only explanation I can think of that might be plausible is that it could have been a botched takeover attempt with a side order of Quinn sharp practice by circumventing stock exchange rules about disclosure as he built a controlling stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Even if he didn't pay he certainly motivated his followers to do it.

Same as Trump wound up his minions to riot in Washington.

From what I can see Kevin Lunney was sacked then reinstated and that didn't go down too well.

Well while there are a lot of similarities there are some critical differences imo

He did this successfully for long enough to get it to a scale where he could insulate himself from the risk.....unless of course he bet the house on an unseen flop....

Seriously though, once you get to a certain scale you can take a lot of "risks" that you are effectively insulated from that to business people at lower levels would be real potentially life altering game over risks

Have a problem with your insurance, buy the insurance company, set your own premiums, maintenance on 2nd hand machinery a problem.....buy new, lease nearly new stuff out to the council etc etc.......make lots of new "friends"

Of course you have to have the balls/luck/contacts/appropriate people to bribe to get to the promised land....and there will be competition and you will be fighting your own arrogance propensity for gambling too etc

Thats a flavour of the game the likes of Musk/Bezos et al are really involved in too...and it is just a game/competition to them imo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So far, this documentary hasn't told me anything I didn't already know.

Sean Quinn saying things like 'mistaken', 'wrongly', 'one poor decision' changes nothing about the fact that he and his executives and his family made deliberate efforts to avoid the consequences of the mess they had got themselves into. Illegal, irregular and immoral efforts.

When those people on a stage in a Cavan street said 'this is our heritage, it belongs to our children' etc, they didn't understand how it was that the Quinn top brass jeopardised that. And why should they, as contemporaneously it was a complicated mess.

But they should very clearly understand it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

He was never worth 5 billion. Id say the kids are sickened. He still calls the shots anyway.

Ffs. Lads ill pay yis back within 10 years. Any chance you sub me another half a billion first though.

Deluded. He never thought they take it all. Fair play to dukes i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I wasn't a fan of Quinn however the first 2 episodes make me feel a bit sorry for him...he got caught up in the excess of the celtic tiger era but got badly burnt...the last episode might change my mind but so far he comes across as very genuine

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not sure if he was employed as a lobbyist. I know he was (is?) a heavy smoker and was opposed to the workplace smoking ban and I think he lit up in the Dáil bar to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Alan Dukes seen right through the Quinn's kids lies. I didn't know what I was signing.

Dukes hit the nail on the head.

The anger of locals should be directed at the quinns.

Were any jobs lost in the area? Are Mannok succesful too?

Doing a great job on the Quinns to be fair.

Was never intimidated by them.

Their "contacts" couldnt touch a political appointee like Dukes. They just wouldnt have survived that. Unfortunately for Kevin Lunney and others they were deemed fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Personality traits of all businesses owners/entrepreneurs. Required to become successful.

Boards users like myself and yourself will never understand or possess the traits it takes to become self made billionaires or even millionaires.

He did seem to be well liked by his staff, an enormous benefit when running a business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Jaysus, he owed 3bn+ and expected the Alan dukes and the lads to just say "no bother Sean, you work away and pay us back when you can"

It would be interesting to know though what actually happened - like why was Sean quinn seen as toxic when the other two guys were not, have they repaid all the money etc etc. Would love to know what sort of changes were demanded and implemented but they prob won't go into that detail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭marilynrr

To the best of my understanding, after the CFDs went south he couldn't fund the 'margin calls' so he turned to Anglo and borrowed the money to buy the shares hoping to recoup some of his losses.

The Quinn group had been transferred to his children years before so he probably could have went bankrupt if he couldn't pay the CFDs, and the Quinn group companies would have remained untouched!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Buster197456

Knew most of the story but interesting none the less to see it play out from the start. What struck me is Quinn just became involved in an area that he knew little about. It snowballed very quickly. One piece of me feels a bit sorry for him but another part doesn't as surely people around him would have been telling him to stop. He strikes me as a man who once he has it in in his head this is the way to go that's it. Nick Lesson took down barings banks basically betting on the way a stock market would move. He had to continue to make margin calls and the bankers allowed it to happen so Quinn was in the same position and he was aided by Anglo.

The part that Sean Quinn has no comeback from was him trying to defend looking for more money and not accepting the game was up. If your 3bn in the hole you can't expect and support the game is over. I wonder why has he done this documentary. Why is his reason for it. The timing is strange in my opinion. Rte obviously approached him and said do you want to be part of it. Strange he'd do it as he's little to gain form it. It was always going to show him up in a bad light.

People will in general have little sympathy for him as it done so much damage to the country. Alot of people played their roles in this saga and ultimately it go's down as a dark period in irish history. Wonder how much the last part will touch on the aftermath. Probably not alot as i still think the police are probably looking at finding more involved. I'm not up on how the family side faired in all this. That would make for another good documentary. Enjoyed the first two parts as it was good see it all put together from the start. The whole intimidation saga and the kidnapping would make for a great documentary that Netflix would do a good job on. Not sure rte would be up to the job on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

What you say is correct, but by putting the companies up as security is where he lost them. They were in the kids names hence them having to sign the loan documents.

If he had to have declared himself bankrupt at that point, the companies would have been untouched. The bank would have gone under which it did anyway. Tax payer would probably have been on the hook for a bigger bailout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Buster197456

I wonder why has he done this documentary. 

He said it himself that when you die, you can't take the money with you. All you're left with is your reputation. He seems like he wants to recover his, although PR isn't his strong suit and he's so old fashioned that he probably thinks RTE is a suitable vehicle to that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Quinn said it was “wrong” of him to take money out of his insurance business to fund losses elsewhere in his Quinn Group empire.

“I shouldn’t have done that, that was wrong, I put my hands up completely on that. There’s no excuse, I shouldn’t have touched a penny in a regulated entity, I shouldn’t have done that,” he said.

Anyone notice he didn't say he was sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its funny that he says that the documentary doesnt tell his side of the story when its himself in nearly half the footage telling the story from his perspective.

even the side of things that he was so great to have set up all the businesses, you'd wonder how much of it was real success or how much was cross subsidisation of potentially loss making arms from the insurance, and you'd also presume that the group has massive loans for the likes of the glass plant which means that the banks owned the quinn group the whole time, not Quinn (or his kids)

I think what's wrong with him is it tells both sides of the story and he doesn't like the way other people, Dukes in particular, are giving their version.

Bitter and begrudging.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

No time for him or his ilk.

2% insurance levy (remember Quinn insurance was sold to liberty for €1)

Contributed to bankrupting the country! Don't forget the bailout, we are and your kids kids will be paying for it for a very long time. We pay circa €8Bn a year interest on our national debt, a huge sum....

The €100k wedding cake for his daughter's wedding.

Son and nephew in contempt of court, jailed forn3 months (think they fled jurisdiction)

Son in law with his right to forget on the internet!!

Take off the rose tinted glasses Seanie, get off the tele and apologies to the people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

That’s nonsense, what the Celtic Tiger showed is that Ireland didn’t have great entrepreneurs. The Celtic Tiger created fake entrepreneurs, many of whom went to the wall when the shït hit the fan because they ran out of borrowed money and hadn’t a clue how to run a business.

One vivid memory I have is of a local chap here that thought he was a great fella and borrowed €30m. He bought a load of land and threw cheaply built apartments up all around town. By 2010 the apartments started to cause issues and essentially became unliveable. He had property bought all over the world with borrowed money and then the inevitable happened and he couldn’t repay his €30m. It was a fairly prominent story locally at the time because he skipped town and declared bankruptcy in the UK.

And sure didn’t Quinn mentioned it in Monday night’s episode. Some fella looked for €20m and the bank said he either took €50m or they didn’t want his business. Starting a business in Ireland at that time was easier than not starting a business. The number of “property developers” that sprung up at the time is comical. People who had no idea what they were doing saw Jim down the road re-invent himself with borrowed money and decided they’d do it too. The real entrepreneurs are the ones that knew what they were doing and survived when things went tits up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Just had a look on Google maps, and the signs are in English and Polish.

Advertisement