Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Comments

Is king Mob still saying it came from the wet market?..lol..

------------------------------

Warned for Breach of Charter. Off topic. Trolling.

Don't post in this thread again.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Sure, and they do prevent Covid-19, trials showed great results, as well as being safe.

(Like immunity, prevent isn't an absolute)

Considering how good the results were I don't see any glaring reason why they wouldn't have been approved.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Just like odyssey, second post in a row, you've now switched to addressing a claim that I didn't make: whether or not the vaccines should have been approved. I have consistently said I understand why they were approved, the regulators acted in good faith and were correct to approve based on the data available.

But what kicked off the current tit for tat was you challenging this claim I made:

My issue is with people who instead of acknowledging that the expectations of December 2020 were wrong, try and claim that there was an entirely different set of expectations all along

i.e "Nobody expected the vaccines would prevent infection, people took it on the advice that it would prevent severe disease and death."

Because that's just BS.

And now you are unable to rely on the lazy "You don't understand" tactic, you've actually tried to argue the point and discovered you cannot actually find anything to contradict it, despite blindly contradicting it for the last six months.

And whilst you have in the past expressly told me that other posters have proven with links that the primary function of the Covid vaccines was intended to be something other than to prevent symptomatic cases of Covid, you are unable to find these other posters links, or any of your own.

So with that realisation you just shift over to "Trials showed very good effectiveness and safety, I'm not the slightest bit surprised they were approved" and "Considering how good the results were I don't see any glaring reason why they wouldn't have been approved", as if by addressing claims I didn't make, you can somehow imply that I did.

I totally accept you genuinely believed that you would easily find reams of material to back up your contradiction, and your challenging my views was in good faith. You just knew I was wrong, because sure doesn't everybody know that the vaccines were only approved to prevent severe disease and death, and not to prevent infections? Except anti-vaxxer loons.

You knew this in just the same way everybody knew the Emperor's new clothes were stunning. They had seen no evidence of it themselves, but everybody else said it was true, so it must be true.

My issue is with people who instead of acknowledging that the expectations of December 2020 were wrong, try and claim that there was an entirely different set of expectations all along

i.e "Nobody expected the vaccines would prevent infection, people took it on the advice that it would prevent severe disease and death."

There were a mixture of expectations in late 2020, it wasn't a singular thing. I previously posted examples of scientists and experts at the time urging caution regarding the performance of the vaccines.

Likewise there were a mixture of key aims/goals/objectives of the vaccine rollout. Depends on source and interpretation.

There were a mixture of expectations in late 2020, it wasn't a singular thing. I previously posted examples of scientists and experts at the time urging caution regarding the performance of the vaccines.

Sure, there were those who cautioned they might not be as effective at preventing symptomatic infection as hoped/expected based on the trial data. But the fact remains that they were approved specifically on the back of the trial data to prevent symptomatic infection, not to reduce severity of symptoms.

Likewise there were a mixture of key aims/goals/objectives of the vaccine rollout. Depends on source and interpretation.

The emergency use approval does not allow for interpretation. It is specific and unambiguous. The indication the vaccines were approved for is to prevent infection.

As posted before, this is exactly why infections in the vaccinated are referred to as breakthrough infections - because they have broken through the protection that the vaccines were intended to provide.

• Advertisement

Sure, there were those who cautioned they might not be as effective at preventing symptomatic infection as hoped/expected based on the trial data. But the fact remains that they were approved specifically on the back of the trial data to prevent symptomatic infection, not to reduce severity of symptoms.

That's where we disagree. They were approved because they were safe and effective and reduced severity of the disease.

I had high expectations for the vaccine, I thought it could be like the e.g. Smallpox vaccine, one shot and we're good, unfortunately the virus hasn't cooperated, it's more like influenza, mutates and evolves a lot, hence vaccine effectiveness has reduced in some respects, and we need boosters.

Was I disappointed? Sure, but I understand why it occurred, so I just moved on from it, like most people.

It's clear you haven't moved on from this, and you now have this whole spiel, including a major trip into anti-vax land.

it's more like influenza, mutates and evolves a lot, hence vaccine effectiveness has reduced in some respects, and we need boosters.

The comparison with the flu is very valid in this context because it just another example of the evidence there is a narrative around covid vaccines.

Pre Covid the performance of flu vaccines was routinely described as disappointing because of the volume of infections in vaccinated people - these were referred as breakthrough infections and cases of vaccine failure, in line with international agreed medical terminologies.

It was recognised that having a poorly performing vaccine was better than nothing, but the consensus was that there was a need for a significantly more effective flu vaccine. The difficulties of flu mutating and evolving variants were seen as hurdles that needed to be overcome by better vaccine development rather than excuses for a poorly performing vaccine.

Equally it was recognised that vaccination had some value in alleviating the symptoms in the breakthrough infections, this was better than nothing, but no more than that. It was certainly not hailed as the vaccines working as intended. Quite the opposite.

By way of illustration consider the following two articles on flu vaccines and covid vaccines, written in the same publication by the same author on the essentially the same aspect of vaccines - the need for better protection from a more universal vaccine.

The one on flu vaccine was written in 2017 and titled "Why flu vaccines so often fail" and like all good journalists, he sets the tone in opening paragraph with a well chosen quote (empahsis mine):

The most commonly used flu shots protect no more than 60% of people who receive them; some years, effectiveness plunges to as low as 10%. Given that a bad flu season can kill 50,000 people in the United States alone, "10% to 60% protection is better than nothing," says Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. "But it's a terribly inadequate vaccine for a serious public health threat." Now, researchers are striving to understand why it fails so often—and how to make a markedly better one.

The one on covid vaccines was written in July 2022 and titled "Why efforts to make better, more universal coronavirus vaccines are struggling" - again the author sets the tone in the opening paragraph with a well chosen quote (emphasis mine):

There’s a new call from the White House to develop vaccines that might protect against future SARS-CoV-2 mutants or even unknown coronaviruses. “The vaccines we have are terrific, but we can do better than terrific,” Ashish Jha, White House COVID-19 response coordinator, said at a vaccine summit yesterday that gathered researchers, companies, and government officials. 

So can you explain why in 2017 vaccines that did poorly to prevent infections, but did alleviate the severity of those infections would be described as "terribly indequate" whereas in 2022 vaccines that do poorly to prevent infections, but do alleviate the severity infections are described as "terrific"?

What's the difference?

Flu vaccines don't have the same marketing and lobbying campaign behind them, or indeed such a large group of people who worship them with a religious fervour. It makes it impossible to raise any valid questioning of aspects of COVID vaccines without being labelled an anti vaxxer.

Yep, totally agree, that's what I mean when I say the contrast between the discussion of flu vaccines vs covid vaccines is just another example of the evidence there is a narrative around covid vaccines.

It's totally crazy - as someone who has had flu vaccines regularly, have my kids vaccinated against HPV, and have had all my COVID "primary course" and a booster, and only haven't had any more because I haven't had a run of 4 months where I haven't had COVID since, it is galling to come up against this religious fervour and how they are convinced they are the people "following the science". Even that phrase has strongly religious overtones. For a long while, catching COVID was seen as some sort of moral failure by many.

Every medication has side effects - we need to be open about this if I am to have any trust in them, and not have them rammed down my neck by fanatics. If you are very likely to die without a medication, or not at all likely to even get sick, this should inform your decision to take it.

I got the COVID vaccines because there is strong evidence they reduce greatly the risk of serious outcomes. Not because they reduce transmission or infection to any significant extent. I can live with the risk of some side effects.

• Advertisement

Summer this year there was a death reported if I recall correctly

Again, it's difficult to know if it was directly related to the vaccine. There are expert bodies who monitor all this stuff very closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Washington post yesterday

Covid is no longer mainly a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Here’s why. - The Washington Post

"I hear you're a conspiracy theorist now, father!"

Behind a paywall, but got it working. Pay attention to the "no longer" in the headline.

The headline is based on it's content below:

"Fifty-eight percent of coronavirus deaths in August were people who were vaccinated or boosted, according to an analysis conducted for The Health 202 by Cynthia Cox, vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation."

On the surface it sounds like more vaccinated people are dying, but since around 75% of US adults are vaccinated, it still means proportionally more unvaccinated are dying. This is acknowledged.

"Cox, like many experts, says she’s not surprised by the ratio shift. There are a few reasons:

• At this point in the pandemic, a large majority of Americans have received at least their primary series of coronavirus vaccines, so it makes sense that vaccinated people are making up a greater share of fatalities.
    • Individuals at greatest risk of dying from a coronavirus infection, such as the elderly, are also more likely to have received the shots.
    • Vaccines lose potency against the virus over time and variants arise that are better able to resist the vaccines, so continued boosters are needed to continue to prevent illness and death."

Ultimately, even if 100% of the population gets vaccinated, people will still die to Covid (vaccines don't offer 100% protection against death, they are up to around 90% depending on variant and other factors)

It also states that vaccinated are at a lower risk from dying:

"Boosters

It’s still true that vaccinated groups are at a lower risk of dying from a covid-19 infection than the unvaccinated when the data is adjusted for age. An analysis released by the CDC last week underscores the protection that additional booster shots offer against severe illness and death as immunity wanes. 

Let’s take a look at deaths in August, when the highly contagious BA.5 variant reached its peak:

• That month, unvaccinated people aged 6 months and older died at about six times the rate of those who had received their primary series of shots.
    • People with one booster dose were even better protected. Unvaccinated people over the age of 5 had about 8 times the risk of dying from a coronavirus infection than those who received a booster shot.
    • Among individuals who were eligible to receive additional booster shots, the gap is even more striking. Unvaccinated people 50 and up had 12 times the risk of dying from covid-19 than adults the same age with two or more booster doses."

(Bolded lines added by article, not me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

more vaccinated than unvaccinated have died from covid,but dont forget your boosters.

Strange statement imho

It's proportional. More unvaccinated are dying proportionally. This is why the vaccines and boosters are important.

Keep in mind, even if 100% of the population were vaccinated, people would still be dying from Covid. The vaccines offer protection (up to 90% depending on variant), but not full protection. It's the best we can do with the medical technology we currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭snowcat

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11466325/More-20-000-excess-deaths-recorded-Western-Europe-summers-heatwaves.html#newcomment

I nearly died myself from the heat over the summer. Unfortunately a lot of people did actually die. Way more than would be expected. All age groups too but a lot of over 50's. Strange thing is the trend seems to be continuing into the winter. Must be the extreme winter we are having.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threadbanned user. Forum Banned for 1 week

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Thread reopened.

There will be no more speculation as to how or why a child died. I personally know a family who were badly affected by this sort of thing last year. Who in the early days of their grief felt the need to go on national radio to deny the rumours spread widely by loolas who knew nothing about their child yet could say with absolute certainty, and without any post-mortem, that the Covid Vaccine was the cause of her death.

There will be no more of this allowed on this thread. And @hometruths to use your own argument that people may have died with Covid rather than of Covid - A person may die following the vaccine, but not because of the vaccine.

Anymore discussion about this case will result in a permanent forum ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

A lot of talk and explaining of what vaccine negative efficiacy is and why omicron made vaccination pointless.

Original article on Epoch cant be linked but accessible from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Any source that isn't far right pro Russia conspiracy waffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A lot of talk? Yeah, a lot of vague waffle.

Actual evidence of Omicron making vaccination pointless = ZERO.

Study after study has shown that the vaccines provide protection against severe Covid, without previous infection, versus Omicron and variants for which they were not developed for.

Therefore your statement is false and without foundation, and is disproven by multiple studies including this one.

To make a statement of fact that the vaccine is therefore rendered useless, is simply medical misinformation.

Previous infection alone, BNT162b2 vaccination alone, and hybrid immunity all showed strong effectiveness (>70%) against severe, critical, or fatal Covid-19 due to BA.2 infection.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2203965?query=featured_home

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats an opinion piece, by an unknown author, with no source for his "definitions" or conclusions.

the fact he can write an article on 'negative effectiveness' but never once mentioning 'confidence interval' just screams that the author has absolutely no understanding of what they are discussing.

not even worth responding to it as its has made all the same errors and misunderstandings that have been discussed in this thread already.

It would be interesting to see how we stand in excess mortality this year since data coming from Australia are pretty much very bad.

Financial media outlet Benzinga reported that this came after the Asia-Pacific nation’s latest mortality data released in November showed that there had been 128,797 deaths from Jan. 1 to Aug. 31, which was 17 percent higher than the historical average.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hummm

might it have been, like , you know, the PANDEMIC VIRUS ???

The current wave of Covid-19 cases is still rising in Australia, with the latest data from New South Wales and Victoria showing a sharp jump in the number of deaths attributed to the pandemic virus.

Victoria reported 85 deaths, compared with 54 the week before, and NSW saw 48 deaths, after 32 the week before. The total number of deaths is almost three times as many as were reported in the first week of November.

There were 40,194 new cases reported in NSW and 27,790 in Victoria over the week, both more than the week before, though there has been a slight slowing in the rate of increase. Deaths are usually a lagging indicator behind case numbers.

The latest weekly figures come as a comprehensive analysis of the impact of Covid-19 on mortality rates has found there were 15,400 “excess deaths” across Australia in the first eight months of 2022, or 13% more than predicted.

The excess deaths measure captures not only confirmed Covid deaths but also those incorrectly diagnosed and reported, and those from other causes attributable to the crisis such as health systems being overwhelmed, resources being diverted or fewer people seeking treatment.

Jeez this stuff is so easy ......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It will be interesting to see how countries excess mortalities play out at year end when they are age adjusted, and obvious factors such as covid deaths and heatwave effects taken into account - although there are indications that historic 'official' heatwave deaths underestimated their effect on excess mortality.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Indications? Any links where we can read more about these underestimates?

Thanks. The American study certainly makes a strong argument that the CDC are more than capable of underestimating the number of deaths caused, and dramatically so.

However, owing to the absence of standardized criteria for identifying and recording a death as attributable to heat and the difficulty of identifying cases where heat contributed to death from another cause (e.g., cardiovascular disease), analyses based on cause of death may substantially underestimate the total burden of heat-related mortality.

The authors are assuming that heat is capable of aggravating and hastening death from another cause, (which seems a reasonable assumption), and thus built a model looking at death rates during times of increased temperatures to try and estimate the level of deaths caused by but not attributed to heat:

In contrast, we used a regression-based method to statistically relate temperature estimates to mortality rates in a large number of communities, allowing for a more comprehensive assessment of the impact of heat on population health by estimating the number of excess deaths attributable to heat regardless of the assigned cause of death.

All very plausible indeed.

• Advertisement

hummm (dunno why do you hummm when all you need is just to have a read little bit slower till you understand what you read)

Article clearly state that one third of excess deaths were not associated with covid. Usual increase (if it is happening) is around 1-2% and we look at 13%.

How much is one third of 13?

Similarly baffling may be the fact that many countries with very low vaccination compared to Australian levels do not suffer from extraordinary high excess deaths. But I suppose probably there was no PANDEMIC VIRUS there...

Advertisement