Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭standardg60

One of those when the lack of acknowledgement is more annoying than anything else, like when you let someone out and they just drive on and ignore you, and you just go 'w&nker'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always give them a big obnoxious Mr Bean style wave. Sadly this makes me look like more of a twat than them. It does grind my gears though, who raised these uncivilised cretins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

There was something in the air this evening with several passes into oncoming traffic causing the traffic to take some avoiding action. Here are two of the stupidest both in quick succession and in a race to a red light. The first guy caused the learner to come to a complete stop and the second caused the oncoming traffic to move out of the way. The white van then followed up with a dive to the curb to prevent me from passing on the inside he then drove straight through the junction and turned right behind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's something quite satisfying about having someone overtake me and then having to jam on the brakes to avoid crashing into the back of the queue of cars ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I waited patiently for a car to enter a petrol station - they knew they were crossing a cycle lane and footpath with people. This numbskull behind beeps and waves and eventually races around and through a red light.

I turned left after them (after climbing the hill and getting a green light) only to find him parked across the pedestrian crossing waiting for someone to get in for a lift.

Must. Race. To. Destination. ... Only. Parking. For. A. Minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to enjoy this a lot on strand road when motorists would overtake and find themselves heading straight towards a traffic island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It really is a race to the destination. I had someone undertake me in a bus lane when in the car so they could turn left at a light and stop outside a school just after the junction. We were maybe 30 seconds away from the junction but this person decided to undertake, speed and use the bus lane. Just to park up.

It's a road I'm undertaken on almost every time. The mentality these days is that you have to catch up to the car in front so everyone does 10-20 over the limit if the road is clear up until they catch up and follow the car ahead, even if it means using a bus lane and undertaking. Just to get to traffic or a red light. It's ridiculous but it's what we get for having zero road policing. I've had people throwing their hands up in the car behind me for doing the speed limit because there's space in front of me and I should be speeding to catch up to traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭JMcL

The wording of that act reads a bit ambiguously in the absence of a definition somewhere of what "performance of their duty" means. My interpretation of that would be they're actively chasing the robbers, or hurrying to do so, with the nee-naw lights on. Doing 180 round the M50 just because Garda Muldoon is feeling peckish would be frowned on I would think.

All flippancy aside though, there does seem to be a hierarchy of Guards. There was the lad dismissed this year as he hadn't done the course that allowed him turn on the lights https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-dismissal-emergency-lights-5771844-May2022/. Presumably the lad in question had done the first level allowing him drive a patrol car but not exceed the limit or use the lights. All that said, this report https://www.thejournal.ie/speeding-penalty-points-garda-4975835-Jan2020/ (sorry for all the Journal links - just avoid the comments) seems to suggest they just pull the "on duty" line when they get done for speeding. The judge compiling the report didn't consider this a satisfactory state of affairs at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes it is a nonsense, once you're on duty you're essentially performing your duty no matter what you're doing, it's basically a get out of jail free card. Why are guards exempt from the law regarding the use of mobile phones while driving, are they trained not to get distracted?

I knew a lad who joined the Garda reserve and would go out on patrol in the squad car occasionally, one patrol consisted of going to Woodies to collect some garden furniture for the guard's home. He learned fast though in fairness to him, the reserve badge is identical to the real one so there was no queuing at Coppers or paying for train tickets.

As for hierarchy, the whole civil service is more militant in it's application than the army!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I’ve never posted in here before as I really only get the run of the mill close passes but today was the closest I’ve ever come to not coming back from a cycle. Heading from Ashford towards Rathnew I entered the roundabout and was about 3/4s of the way through when a fcuking idiot came up off the slip road. I usually keep an eye on who’s coming onto a roundabout and this was no exception. However this guy was so far back I didn’t even see him as a threat. But he just kept coming, at speed. I’d say he was millimeters from completely taking me out and I really don’t know how he stopped! I remember looking down at my bottom bracket and I could see his bumper! I continued on and he held back, presumably a bit shook himself as when he eventually passed me he rolled his passenger window down and apologized. I would normally give someone like that a bollocking but I was completely unable to say anything and just kept going. I’ve never been that close to being taken out and it was fcuking terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Clanbrassil Street this evening (ignore the timestamp on the rear view). I had a few “funny” incidents yesterday, and with the rain today I reckoned drivers would be frustrated and in a hurry, so I reckoned I’d stick the cameras back on. And today I get this.

This one scared me a bit. I’ve never reported a close pass. To be honest I don’t think I’m going to go through what seems like the hassle of reporting this one. I’ve seen far worse ones on here go completely unpunished. I did look up the car’s details, out of curiosity. NCT is in date, but motorcheck.ie has “30 pieces of information” about the car, whatever that means. I don’t think I’m bothered paying to find out, but it seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's just your common or garden w@nker - nothing special.

Good quality from the camera though - what model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yeah I know. I’m not going to bother with it.

It’s a GoPro on the front. Great quality, crap battery life. I might invest in the new Fly12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

My GoPro gives about an hour charge, but it's been a bit less lately due to the battery degrading. I sometimes carry two. But I find I have to charge it when I get to work, or it'll often die on the way home.

Jaysus, had to head into Dublin Town on Thursday. F'in hell I forgot what a sh1tshow driving can be in certain parts. A few (and these are only a small number of things) small examples:

• On the Donnybrook Road, had two cars merge over into the bus lane while on their phones.
    • An elderly gent ran a red on a T junction at the coombe with nary a care in the world, thankfully the bus behind me had also stopped to accomodate the idiot. He did not care.
    • Two drivers along Vicar St. overtook me to make a left turn where I had to hit the brakes so hard it was effectively an emergency stop.
    • Around Marrowbone Lane I had a VW SUV tailgunning me coming upto roadworks and then overtook on the wrongside of a divider at +60kmph through a stop/go system into oncoming traffic.
    • Then coming along St. Lukes (could be wrong with the name), another elderly gent jumped into the segregated bus lane as I was coming up it and I had to bail to the side. He then accelerated into the right turn at the end (same junction as previous elderly male driver) and only narrowly missed tipping the car in front. I would later overtake him on his phone, adjusting his glasses like he wasn't able to read it.
    • Then along the return journey heading to Donnybrook, every junction blocked by cars sitting in yellow boxes, at least half were taxi drivers.
    • Guy on the ebike in front of me nearly got wiped out by a van who took a racing line through the S bend in Donnybrook. It is nothing short of a miracle that we don't have more near misses.

Between mobile phone users and a certain age demographic who seem to have given up caring about anyone but themselves, it was one of the worst hours on a bike I have had in a long time. I'd hate to be a cyclist who was a bit slower on the reaction times as it must be terrifying. Finally got home that evening to a car who swung across traffic to enter a one way system at the train station from the wrong side, and then roll eyes at me as I had to stop as he came straight at me. He then pulled in and parked on the Bus Eireann collection point. I left before finding out what wonderful maneuvre he used to get out of there. Then 30 seconds later a Crimewatch van overtook me to left hook me at a traffic light he had a red for (because the train was coming), I presume they now have some legislative power equivalent to the Gardai and it was in the course of his duties.

F* off world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My near miss was with pedestrians stepping in front of me at my bike advance light. I maturily called him a cock after he shouted at me for existing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had a car pull out left from a roundabout in front of me in the phoenix park earlier. Nothing unusual about that you might say except the motorist had driven up the bike lane at the Wellington monument. 2nd time I've seen that in the past couple of weeks.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nhExrjD5uwPaWBNE6

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

Two incidents this morning both before 9.30am on a Sunday. The sad thing is both drivers were with young children - presumably sons - each around 10 -11 years of age. Some great parenting examples on display.

Incident 1

Coming through rathoath village on the way to the club meet up. Car coming against me. Car behind continues on, brushing past me On a really narrow road. Driver pulled into the car park where we meet up. I decided to have a polite word. "hey you came really close to me there made me wobble" i said. " fcuk off or I'll wobble you again". Charming. I'm guessing he took nothing from our interaction.

Incident 2

Four of us set off towards dunshaughlin. As we got to the village, we had a fast and close pass from a bmw x5. Puzzling move, because he was turning right and we were in the left lane going straight on - he had served over to close pass us. Anyway, he's got his passenger window down when we pull up to the light.

"You should all be riding solo" says he. We're trying to remind him that cycling two abreast is perfectly legal and that he shouldn't be using his vehicle to intimidate cyclists. Again, totally lost on him. We pushed on. The light went red again and he got stuck there. Bizarre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seemingly another video of a person on a bike being deliberately knocked down has surfaced. Allegedly (according to the Reddit thread) he is from Dundalk and has been identified on social media...

The driver sounds intoxicated and looks to be doing 90km/h along a resedential street. However, the intentional hitting of what appears to be an elderly man is dispicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Looks to be the Castletown road I think. Absolute scum.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

no way that was 90km/h though

Yeah, upon review, I think that's his fuel range or something. He's doing about 30km/h looking at the speedo on the right of the cluster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Had a near miss on Sunday, but I was driving.

Happened here:

I was coming up from Sandyford, and in left lane to join M50 southbound. Cyclist going up the shiney new cycle lane out of town. He reached the lights (Which were green for the traffic) and swerved onto the road and straight in front of me. (I'd to swerve into the other lane to avoid him as he was literally right on my front left wing when he dropped off the kerb).

My understanding was that he would have been bound by the (red) colour of the pedestrian lights given the angles of everything at that point, but he (i think) was of the understanding that the cycle line simply terminated and he continued "straight" through the junction? There is a yield sign on the cycle path, but that seems to be indicating a requirement to yield to pedestrians on approach to the lights from cycle lane?

So, in summary, not sure if cyclist was right or wrong, but either way I got quite a fright!

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He wouldn’t be bound by the pedestrian lights as they’d only apply if he was crossing but the onus would be on him to yield and merge safely into the traffic lane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Well he definitely didn't merge safely, assuming that if it's not safe to merge (because I was approaching) then he should have yielded and stopped.

It's (another) really poorly laid out part of infrastructure, because I know that following the cycle lane means crossing 4 roads, rather than just merging and swinging up on the road itself. But this is another level of confusion, and that point is a particularly an awful spot to merge as a cyclist with 2 lanes of cars sweeping toward the M50 and the cyclist coming from an unsighted area (i.e. "off" the road) to many motorists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, the bad infrastructure is not a help, it doesn't facilitate merging, and whoever designed it clearly doesn't want cyclists proceeding straight on.

No matter how you look at it, there is no way a cyclist with their eyes open could have considered that a reasonable manoeuvre. I often merge at the junction for M50 service vehicles just prior but you need a bit of confidence and road reading ability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I cycle that way reasonably regularly and some of the "upgrades" they have done are poor. In this case I would think the should have yielded though

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Advertisement

without a doubt the cyclist should have yielded as they were entering a lane, they should yield to whatever is in that lane.

Advertisement