Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas by oneself

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

I'm working Christmas day but should be home by noon. I wasn't going to put up a tree but I'll see how I feel closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have more lights coming.. ah and need candles... It is so pitch dark out here than every light shines... One year one of the family up the lane said how lovely the bright Christmas lights from my window were so I make sure they shine now every year. They are generally very taciturn and compliments etc are sparse. And few luxury lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Remember you're never alone for Christmas when you have access to boards, there's always a good crew online here on Christmas Day and there's always a good buzz about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

This question remains unanswered. My take is, something scandalous happened last Xmas and Op is still banned from visiting them. maybe dancing on the table was involved, maybe even while wearing a dressing gown. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm on my own at christmas and I put up a tree and a candle bridge on the window, it doesn't bother me being on my own but I like having the place lit up with fairy lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

I've spent every christmas alone for about 12 years now, and I don't like it nor celebrate it, so no christmas tree, decorations or christmas food. Plenty of drink and good food, but no turkey or sprouts etc.

I always have fairy lights up all year round, as i dislike bright lights, but that's about it.

I don't feel the need to join in, so if the lights and decorations don't bother you, don't bother I say.

Anyone who judges you for it perhaps being a bit... i don't know, a bit of an arse maybe!

I am the same. The lights are a thing of beauty and colour. A long way from neighbours here and only one window visible, but one told me one year how he enjoyed the lights so they go up early now. A bit of colour in the dark nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Christmas is a period and more that just one day put up decorations and lights if you like and enjoy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

Honestly, the only thing that matters is how you feel about it. I do love Christmas, I admit, to the point that I wouldn't mind if I had to spend it by myself. I would still decorate the tree and (don't laugh) bake cinnamon cookies (for this year I already found a great yet very simple recipe). The bottom line is, there is a point in doing it if you think you would enjoy it (even if a little bit). 

I would dearly love a Nativity Crib for the front garden. Just that. I have outdoor lights that would reach. Nearly the day to "destore" the Christmas boxes too. LOVE it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I spend Christmas with a small family group and I enjoy some things about it and not others, I'm sure thats the case for most people.

But really, as a person who needs plenty of time on my own to feel at peace generally, I can see the appeal and the positives of a Christmas Day on my own. Think about it as a mental health day, when all around you are people pretending to enjoy it and mostly ending up rowing with their so-called loved ones!

If the true meaning of Christmas is giving and if I was alone on the day, I think I'd volunteer at a charity lunch or morning run or something to help out a few others less fortunate and have a laugh with other people then return home and make a meal of something I really love and listen to some music and maybe watch a movie. I'd also make a few calls to people I might really miss or haven't had a chance to see in the recent past.

Think of it as a gift, decorate how you want, but indulge yourself too, eat drink and be merry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Xmas is for kids (and our corporate overlords who sell us stuff), wouldn't bother my arse with decorations as a grown adult. Smacks of pointless work.

Ah but that moment when you turn the fairy lights on as darkness is falling! Sheer magic! As so much else around Christmas is.. work Nah! Deep pleasure.. There was a year when I left the lights on most of the year... as for alone? My long gone family are all around me in the special meal, the tree, the carols. It is a sharing. A festival of love.

tt has begun! The box of lights and decorations has been liberated from under the Kitchen table and is waiting for its starring role...There is a ceremony to all from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

Christmas is one of those days we should spend as happy as we can, and sometimes that translates to shielding ourselves from prying eyes and unwanted "advice." Decorating a tree is not a necessity for a good time, especially with how much cleaning work it leads to... So, my 2 cents would be to order some extra cheese and extra large pizza, wear PJs, a Santa cap, fluffy slippers, and have The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition blu-rays at the ready :)

If I said that or anything similar it would just be that I really really want folks to enjoy the season ... and feel sad that you are not participating in some way.... My lights here are as much for passers by as for me...In old days in Ireland there was a custom of putting a red candle in the window at Christmas to let folk know,, BE WELCOME HERE and I still do that. Well it is a set of lights now.. Last year a neighbour told me how he loved seeing those Christmas lights shining here.. Made me so happy did that..Always done this... Will do it this year..

Few people alone on this thread

Wonder how many in whole country

A shocking number, and mostly those who have lost family. That was me for many many years and it is sheer.... hell... Or seems to be. I used to go for a walk ( in my town life) passing lit up windows where families were gathered happy around the tree.... The loneliness is appalling. And for many years in England i would be invited to the events laid on with so much thought by social services. A gathering of lonely folk! But lovely to have food cooked.. Now I am happy in my solitude. We will get a lovely parcel/box of goodies from a local group! Last year I saw my neighbour's legs walking up my drive topped by a huge box... I have knitted hats for him and his three brothers.. their first Christmas since their mother died so it will be hard ... Now if I could find the two missing boxes of decorations....

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Advertisement

In some places there are community Christmas dinners by volunteers in community centres. I think for mental health patients

I am curious how many would go if it was available. I wouldn't. But it's a good idea for those who like it

Not saying people on this thread have mental health issues btw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I often think that many folk who would like to be in a gathering are on their own, and some of those who "gather" would rather be alone!

Once both my parents died, that was it for me. It had lost its magic as my father was great craic at Christmas, and Mother was a panic stricken turkey baster. All and sundry gathered in our house, either for a short visit and onwards elsewhere, or with us for the duration. Great times, but they are no more.

So moved on to make it the way I like it. Other half in the same position parent wise and we just cabbage for the day with eats and drinks, movies etc. No tree but a string of lights on the mantelpiece and windowsill and job done. I find the days after Christmas so grey and boring. Can't go anywhere as it's full of kids (none here so forgive me!), and roads and public transport are full. Shopping is not on the agenda unless it is on the end of the click of a mouse and it is a need not a want.

Roll on the week the kids are back in school. Off to Rome and Ostia Antica when it's quiet and visible without the crowds. Weather not an issue when you have good clothing.

Hope it works out for you all, and as others have said, pop in here on Christmas Day/evening/night for a bit of kindred spirit, I often do.

webbles.. I used to go to those in Cornwall; for lonely as well as unwell folk...Good gatherings and kind volunteers and oceans of food.... All donated.. Not like family but in many ways better than alone!. If kindness is offered ? Thank it by taking it...

Not like family but in many ways better than alone!

for some maybe, wouldn't be my idea

Divorced, cremated my father this week and being made redundant next week. Christmas will be alone and without decorations. Will probably microwave freezer leftovers and binge crap on YouTube/android box like I do every other day. Ho ho ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I always love Christmas, I really enjoy the long nights and lack of daylight. I usually spend most of the Solstice feasting on young Irish virgins, they taste so good. I attend a fantastic Bat orgy on Christmas eve that lasts until Dawn when I fly home. I always take the opportunity to help Santy drop off a few of his gifts for the liddle kiddies, while they sleep restlessly with dreams of all the shight their parents have bought them with their hard earned moola.

Once it hits sundown on Christmas night I leap out of my coffin and spend the entire night watching you tube clips of sunrises, it is so exciting. Some of the Vamps might call over to keep me company, if I am in the mood.

I drink a bottle of Drambuie. All of it.

Nor mine by choice originally..... but when folk have the kindness and generosity to devote their Christmas day.... I can thank them sincerely by being there... and sometimes made a new friend.. and the food was always really great.

Out here they do a Christmas dinner and we old wans have the choice of eating at home or they will deliver.. and it is a really grand meal... Home cooked. I am alone every day almost so this is grand .

• Advertisement

Forgot to say i get one card every year and send one back. The box of cards i have is over ten years old. Maybe I should get a tiny tree with one bulb and put up one piece of holly....

Advertisement