Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merits of the Series S

Options
  • 25-11-2022 11:16am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's been a load of talk in the Bargain alerts thread around the Series S and whether it's good or not, with some really against, and a fair few who think it's a great deal for the right person. I happen to think it's a great choice to have, while others think it's terrible.

Rather than continue to allow the bargains thread to be pulled off course, I've set this thread up to allow the discussion to continue. If you want to chat about the S, please do so here

CIAB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

If you and a mate/ family member pick one up and set up gameshare all games you buy will be half price and with digital sales and gamepass you can effectively have the cheapest way to game across any platform

its a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's great. You can pick one up for €230 new today. I got a refurbished one for 180 from Microsoft a few back.

Hard to argue with it, especially with game pass ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I saw my first one in the flesh yesterday. Damn if that's not a tidy little box - I have some old external HDDs that should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

I got one during a GameStop trad up deal with One S , so basically just picked it up for €90.

Aiming to trade it in and then get a Series X when I've enough Microsoft Rewards points earned next year.

It's mostly for the young fella , although he's kind of abandoning Xbox platform for laptop now.

Series S is an upgrade from One S in terms of graphics , but still not quite as good as a Series X.

Depends where you are with your gaming and if graphics really matter to you. Also second hand game CDs are dirt cheap for Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, physical games go for buttons and / or you can get them second hand. Especially good if you've never had an Xbox before 😄 like me.

Also, you can physically see your backlog 😄😄

Apart from that, at least you know where you stand with the Series X. With the S you might just regret you didn't spend the extra cash for more storage and better performance and longevity.

Aside ..

I think Sony are bringing out an external disk drive. That'd really be a nice thing for MS to do for people who prefer / have physical games and have a Series S.

Also, didn't MS have some patent recently where you could digitally swap your physical game for the digital equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I’m considering picking up a console for some very casual gaming - not really that into it, won’t have heaps of time but just for a bit of nostalgia and escapism - want to play the games I played 15 years ago type thing. Stuck between a second hand Xbox One that takes discs that seem to sell for pretty cheap or splashing out for the Series S which seems like reasonable value - I would question if it’d be overkill for me. Any advice welcome - is the one totally outdated or is there enough entertainment value still and it’s works well enough to go for it and save the few bob?

Advertisement