Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marko resigns from Nightwish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Just watching some live performances of them at festivals now and the man had some serious lungs. Superb backing vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Heartbeat of the band since he joined really, actually admittedly don't listen to the first 3 albums a whole bunch became a different beast when he joined not all down to that of course the others had progressed in their craft too but it played a part.

I imagine they'll be going light on the stuff he is prominent in now when it comes to setlists, still gonna grab a ticket to the announced Dublin date, seen them numerous times but a return here is well overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Terrible news today that Floor Jansen has been diagnosed with breast cancer. I know she is hoping to have recovered from her surgery in time for the European leg of the Nightwish tour but I hope to God she doesn't rush back and put her health in jeopardy.

That's gutting for her but fortunate they got to it early. She has adequate time to figure it out I'd say making it public gives people a notification that this is the situation that makes potential future decisions very understandable.

Great news from Floor today regarding her recent surgery for breast cancer!

I am really looking forward to the gang on Wednesday night 😁

• Advertisement

Awesome let's hope we can bring them a sizeable crowd.

Pity about the supports and lack of clarity from this rando promoter but it is what it is.

Hopefully we can draw a big crowd for them alright so that perhaps they and other symphonic metal bands will come back to Ireland.

I am still enjoying the post-WT and Evanescence World Collides show buzz from Saturday so really looking forward to this.

Cool I was actually at the Birmingham date myself. It was very busy nearly sold out, a top evening alright.

I think Worlds collide setup is as good a chance as any to finally bring WT to Ireland, their production and show is just simply too big for anything but the Arena here. Have Evanescence even played here I don't recall, well people would maybe go for them off nostalgia and get introduced to WT that way. Grab them for an off date when they both close by at Download I say. I wouldn't say no to revisiting it of course.

Yeah the Hallenstadion was close to sold out as well.

Can I ask how WT sounded in Birmingham? They weren't great I thought in Zurich as Sharon's mic was too low and the music kind of sounded a bit muffled. Evanescence on the other hand were UNREAL.

WT did play Dublin before Covid, I think it was November 2019 but alas couldn't get up to because of work. I honestly assumed that Evanescence would of played here in either their Fallen or The Open Door tours.

Hopefully the NW merchandise will be better priced vs the World's Collide show. They were selling t-shirts for over €50 and hoodies at €100 which is dearer than if you order from their official sites and pay for shipping.

No trouble soundwise in Brum for WT, heard Sharon was struggling with a cold in London perhaps it's something she had the weekend too.

Yeah didn't buy anything myself but did see that Hoodies were like £70 there.

Nah would've known if WT were here if they played maybe you thinking of Epica they played the year before that in the now gone Tivoli.

I would've assumed Ev played here too back then but can't seem to find any info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I was at Birmingham show too, I actually enjoyed Evanescence more even though I hate their political agenda of new album. Evanescence and Within Temptation aren't actually the same genre, Evanescence are Hard Rock.

I also had a ticket for the London date but I drank too much beforehand and had a 4 hour blackout and didn't make the show. London is a dodgy place to get lost alone in. I will make sure not to drink so much next time.

Ticketmaster confirmed on Twitter that Dublin are not getting any of the support acts. Very disappointed as I have seen so many good comments on the Beast In Black set.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was at it last night, great show, the seats were basically full and the floor was decently filled but a large enough gap on the side I could see, obviously they had closed off some of the seating areas. A smaller venue might have been more atmospheric. Not sure from their point of view did they consider the show a success/financial success unless they got the crowd they expected to get ahead of time.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Floor was on 🔥 last night. Excellent show but would agree with a smaller venue. I hope that this does not put them off ever touring in Ireland again! I wonder would the Marquee be a more suitable venue for them in the future. I was surprised with how much older the demographic of the audience was, I was expecting teens to 40s.

I only got into Nightwish during lockdown, Ive liked Sabaton earlier but Blind Guardian, Wintersun and more Sabaton were all via youtube in the last year or 2. I noticed some people in their 60's so probably similar. There were no teenagers I noticed, mostly late 20's and up.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If you like Nightwish then you might enjoy Within Temptation, Epica and Lacuna Coil, if you haven't already checked them out. In This Moment could also be worth a listen, I would recommend their albums Mother and Ritual. And then there is Floor's old band After Forever.

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Sabaton myself. They've got some unreal tunes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sabaton achieved a fair chunk of their following and exposure from a slightly odd source, as their military/historical themes gained traction among online gaming communities such as World of Tanks, World of Warships and Warthunder. There's even a Sabaton themed tank and crew members in World of Tanks. These games already skew to an older audience which may have been reflected in the audience to a small degree.

I know Epica but not the other 2 so will do. Epica are a funny band, love the stuff they did with Floor, Sancta Tera and Valley of the Queens <edit mixing up Epica with Ayreon> but then some of their songs veer into West End Musical

Post edited by silverharp on

Metal in general veers older anyway, its not the staple of teenagers anymore compared to "back in my day" said in old man voice

Funny enough, out of the three bands I mentioned, I would find Epica the most hit and miss. But when they hit, they are unreal. I'm not a fan at all of their new mini-album but really enjoyed the Arabic infused Omega album. I saw their virtual show last year and it was brilliant (although not live as they had lead people to believe).

I would recommend listening to Within Temptation from their first album onwards in order as it's quite something to see how they have changed over the years. In fairness though, WT are always engaging with their fans and were asking people what sound of theirs was your favourite so they can take that under consideration as they move forward with a new album.

Leah, a solo artist, cites Nightwish and Enya as her inspiration and you can hear it in her album Kings & Queens.

• Advertisement

Think the tent would be burnt to the ground. It did take them 14 years to get back so you couldn't take a swift return for granted. I was actually surprised how well it did almost selling out the lower seated sections (top covered) & reasonable on the floor for the set up they had it, don't think Biffy Clyro did that the other week going by reports and they are a far more tried and tested here (granted they did have a Belfast date too).

Crowd was well noticeable too I've been to a number of their shows elsewhere over the years and there's always a young support and blend but maybe that's just the nature of most Rock music in Ireland now in general.

Marko themed video , TanktheTech, one of the better reactors out there as he is /was a band tech , a touching review of The Islander

I actually got very into reaction videos during lockdown and couldn't get over the amount of Nightwish fans nominating their songs to so many reviewers. 🤣 The Charismatic Voice was absolutely crazy for Floor and Marko.

yeah! Elizabeth/Tank got my classical only, "all rock is noise" wife into Nightwish and Wintersun of all groups.

Floor is expecting her second child. Great news for her and the family after her recent cancer treatment.

Nightwish announce new album to be released in 2024 but they have decided that they will not tour this album.

Will be interesting to see how things will progress in the years to come.... I'm fearing that the end is nigh

Advertisement