Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maynooth to Tullow Route

• 22-11-2022 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭

I'll be travelling in a few weeks to Tullow, Friday afternoon and then back on the Saturday morning, wondering about possible routes.

Google suggests Naas, Kilcullen and then on to Castledermot. I'm not too familiar with that road ( R448 ) after Kilcullen and it might be the best option but said I'd ask.

Other options:

Ballymore Eustace, then join the N81 before Donard, N81 to Tullow

I'm not mad on the N81 but it is probably quieter at that point than what I'd be used to further north..

I don't really see other options. Any opinions or suggestions welcome - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

Maynooth to Naas would be by far the worst part of that route, Kilcullen onwards south would be Ok.

RidewithGPS suggested the route below, I wouldn't be very familiar with the first 10km but after that the roads are rural and not particularly busy, I'd avoid the N81 like the plague.

Edited to change route, posted same route twice

Post edited by nilhg on

Another flatter option, quieter roads out of Maynooth, a busy enough road for a while by Mondello Park but not bad after that.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41486671

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thanks, those are both excellent routes. They dont add on much distance compared to the shortest possible routes. If I was feeling strong the hillier one is probably nicer. But both should avoid worst traffic.

I'm not too concerned about getting to Naas as I'd know those roads well. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EAD

Nice routes but the hillier one is also safer. The last leg of the flat one is a little uncomfortable as it's a busy road but with few passing opportunities so impatient drivers. I always turn left at Killerig and come a parallel road into Tullow (the quieter and much nicer one on the far side of the river).

Thanks @EAD . Yeah any large/main road has me wary of that. I will take the killerig turnoff if I end up going that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I (personally) wouldn't be too bothered by traffic on the N81, especially south of Blessington as the quarry trucks thin out significantly as you head south. It's slightly downhill to Tullow with the odd drag.

I'd probably go Maynooth - Sallins - Naas - Ballymore then N81 to Tullow. Direct enough 75km/500m https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41493217

Post edited by crosstownk on

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Here's a sweet one, but a few extra km.

Go West , young man, along the canal past Enfield to Kilmore.

South, following the Barrow through Edenderry, Rathangan, Monasterevin, Athy, Carlow.

121 km of the sweetest flattest and quietest run through Kildare and Carlow that you will find.

You will thank me for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It'd be a major transgression to argue with someone who suggests increasing the distance. No argument from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Just to add a little clarification, in case it's needed. You'd be following the Barrow Line branch of the Grand canal, I'd imagine, rather than the actual Barrow (although the two aren't far from each other until Athy, where they become one)

I'd happily cycle the Royal canal on any kind of bike, but the Grand and Barrow Branch is strictly fatter tyres on crushed stone or mud.

Stick to the road if you are on a 120km project, I think.

• Advertisement

Ok, so are you taking about the R417, then. From Monasterevin through Kildangan, Kilberry, and into Athy?

Spoilt for route choice! I didn't think this thread would prove interesting, but thanks all.

I've done the barrow line to Athy during pandemic but near shortest day of the year, I'm going to take a quicker route on at least one of the legs.

Time allowing, I may be able to go longer on the way down, but on the way home next day I'm under time pressure, though I will probably have tailwind. weather can influence too. looks.. middling. Strangely enough if it is raining I might be inclined to go towards the solitude of the canal.

I will have 38c slick tyres on the caadx by then, I have option of taking 29er MTB either.. decisions.

While we're adding distance to the journey, here's an alternative for the Monasterevin to Athy portion of Roadtoad's suggestion. Much quiter roads than the R417, although it adds 5km to that section

Monasterevin to Athy, or at least Milltown bridge about 3km north of Athy is eminently doable on a road bike with 23/25mm tyres, just pick up the canal tow path from the old Portlaoise (N7) road just west of the hazel hotel, you'll be a few KM/hr slower than on the road but it's nicer and there's the DillyDally cafe south of Vicarstown at the weekends this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

On a side note if you're taking the route via Baltinglass I'd recommend stopping at little acorn café for a coffee/food stop it's a savage spot.

The barrow tow path south of Athy is in shite at the moment with all of the rain I'm not sure I'd bother on slick tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

yes I was walking along the Barrow this week, its really muddy in places.

I'm still determined to go ahead with this, but the weather changes things. At this point looks like Saturday will be warming up for the trip home. But for the way down, side roads are a lot less appealing as they'll be likely to be icy. So I'm thinking barrow line down and probably take the mtb. Need to start finalising routes now anyway.

Come on, Gerry, which route did you choose?

I'm gone purple from bating my breath.

Along the Barrow canal Sister Consilia's café N of Athy is a bike friendly place.

No, I wussed out. all the backroads were icy, it felt foolish. I'll make it up to myself with a proper canal run or two this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement