Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late Late Toy Show (25.11)

• 21-11-2022 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Well it’s that magical time of year as Ryan Tubridy shows off his easy rapport with the “theatre kids” of Ireland.

What’s everyone looking forward to the most this Friday? I’m hoping for a Dustin The Turkey appearance and Ryan blasting the audience with his supersoaker (ooh err!)

Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know kids enjoy it and there is usually lots of fun to be had so I wish them all the best.

Break a leg RT, it's the biggest night of the year.

As for me, I don't even believe in Santa anymore but I might watch a bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Yes folks, once again the PR offensive has commenced in advance of Friday's Toy Show (which has gone unmentioned all year...cough). In a similar display of unbridled enthusiasm, we have decided that the LLS megathread can sit out out this week, in favour of a dedicated thread, and thereby remain unadulterated and unsullied until the mayhem is over.

So, what's happening? Numerous articles this morning, which all reference what sounds like the same interview from His Highness, seemingly.

"I’ve got that nice kind of post-Halloween, pre-Christmas Neverland feel, but I have been singing, dancing and doing a lot of interviews, and going to a lot of meetings, so the machine is cranking up. They’re putting coal in the engine, you know, it’s like the ship is about to set sail. The HMS Toy Show is about to embark on another odyssey. It’s very exciting.”

"It is a closely guarded secret, but what I will say is that during the summer, we generally like to try and take a sense of where the country is at, or where it might be at come November or December, and this year we felt that people might be in a little bit of bother with bills and expenses and expectations in that regard.

“So that has influenced where we are going with the show and the theme, and a lot of the show this year is going to be about home and it’s going to be about Christmas proper.”

“We’re going to bring it all back home, bring it back to basics and endeavour to ‘Christmas it up’ again. I think we lost a bit of Christmas over the years on the show. I want to see a Christmas tree and I want to see snow. I want to go there. So that’s where we’re going, more nostalgia, more home."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If Pelvis Parsley doesnt open up a LLS thread......then its just not worth posting on it.....

How thoughtful of Ryan Tubridy to think of us poor plebs and our difficulties paying the bills....give that man a raise!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Some toys between all the charity appeals, "special" musical guests and frenetic hoofing youngsters would be nice.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know kids enjoy it and there is usually lots of fun to be had so I wish them all the best.

Break a leg RT, it's the biggest night of the year.

As for me, I don't even believe in Santa anymore but I might watch a bit of it.

( I already posted this on the other LLS Toy Show Thread. Two threads, where will it all end ?🙂 )

• Advertisement

Some toys between all the charity appeals, "special" musical guests and frenetic hoofing youngsters would be nice, for a change.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 30,169 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I saw it mentioned on Today(I think) and there isn't going to many toys and nothing expensive due to the cost of living.

One thing I am surprised about tough the tickets haven't sold out for the musical yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know my kids are really looking forward to more actual toys on the Toy Show.

The last 2 shows they found disappointing.

Here's hoping we might get a return to an old style toy show this Friday night?

I'd have to put that down to the cost, the facebook mammies were up in arms about it. If you bring three or four kids along, especially if you're bussing it in or whatever, it gets pretty pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Dustin getting Turkey revenge and doing his reverse Paxo trick up a certain person’s personage do to speak,

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement

Friends of mine with children find their kids getting frustrated without the appearance of enough toys. Very simple inexpensive toys would be most appropriate, but the advertising of those wouldn’t cover the production’s cost.

Prepare your brood’s expectations, it will be more Un-Toy than ever this year.

You'd love to be starting a thread/OP each week to have it subsumed into a half baked effort for the Toy Show, wouldn't you?

And from one of the biggest critics of the LLS opening post too...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

Losing its appeal with children getting frustrated it doesn't actually show toys and Ryan "doesn't listen" to the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think if we get less toys this year (if that's actually possible), then that'll be my kids done with it.

Some might think I'm only saying they have been disappointed with the last 2 Toy Shows just to get a dig at Tubs and the show, but it's true.

The crux is that it is now a show virtue signalling to adults, “tokening” to children as well as various interests. It’s way too distracted doing this than appealing to children, who just want toys, or vibes of Santa or pure fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano

There aren't any children in my house but any kids I have spoken to about it love The Toy Show as much as ever. It's mainly adults who moan about "tokenism" and "virtue signalling," i.e being exposed to mixed-race kids with Irish accents on the television.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,590 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Can’t believe I’m still riled by the fact that Ryan ASKED the audience to give a standing ovation on Friday night.

Standing ovations should be natural and spontaneous - for example, when you discover that RTE has decreased his salary. THEN, I will give a standing ovation.

Anyhoo, onward and upward…TOYS!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Expect less toys this year, ratings for the past two years hitting record highs and showing less and less toys. Times change, shows evolve it'll never be like it was before, it's all about the stories, music and celebs now.

• Advertisement

I do think The Toy Show has changed a lot because a lot of adults watch it now and want to watch it.

That’s a big part of it. 20-30 years ago the only people watching the toy show were children and their parents, then as those children grew up they kept watching it.

Combine that with how kids in the smart phone era don’t seem to be enthralled with gadgety toys as kids used to be and Uncle Gaybo’s Toy Show wouldn’t fly any more.

I'm 30 so I have small memories of Gay and more memories of Pat doing The Toy Show. When I used be a kid it used be around the 8th of December give or take a few days. It was generally the Friday after the Budget.

I was a Christmas obsessed child and I didn't take much notice of The Toy Show until about the week before but it wasn't marketed really now you've Pajamas, mugs in Penneys, shops & bakery's doing party boxes. (It's certainly marketed a lot more now.)

I don't think there was a theme either it was toys, some current band, Christmas songs and generally a car or trip to Disney Land was given away. Can you remember when they use just land to somebodies front door at about 23:30 and say they've won.

I was generally happy enough with my childhood Toy Show or thought I was and kids now seem the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

Gay Byrne was the best of them. He was naturally witty and came across as being genuine. Now it's promoted for months beforehand and every interaction is rehearsed. There's no spontaneity in it anymore. It's meant to be a fun show for children, but we know that there'll be barely any toys and a number of unfortunate children featured. Clips of these children will be uploaded to the LLS's Twitter and Instagram in minutes. It's exploitative and it's unfair on the children at home.

It is what it is but it shouldn't be called the LL Toy Show any more.

It's the LL Christmas Special Variety Telethon Appeal Show.

CPL 593H

How is it unfair on the children at home exactly?

I’m concerned about your remarks on “unfortunate children.” Do you think “unfortunate children” should be hidden away from view or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When I was a kid in the early 80s the complaint was that there was not enough toys on The Toy Show.

It's always been the complaint.

But I noticed last year and the year before that there was no mention of Smyth's or Ken Black on the show so I'm guessing they will be low on high profile toys again this year unless the above are sponsors.

Still, the kids love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

All Tubridy has to do is get a load of kids playing with a load of toys...reading books etc.....from the off....no rehearsing...just natural.....

Get the billie barry kids in for a while...bring on a celeb or 2....

Bring on dustin for a while...wear a shìtty christmas jumper.....its a very simple formula....

Instead we will get the ego maniac dancing around making the show about him...Noel Kelly derived Toy man....

When tubridy started doing the toy show, he was very snobbish about it...wouldnt even wear the jumper...thought it was beneath him...now with the aid of NK management he has invented this fraudulent, eerie type persona of the "toyman" for marketability purposes....

Everything about the man is fake......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Really seems like some users just want to have the same Toy Show that went out in the 80’s. More “rose tinted” nostalgia for a time long gone. I guarantee that if you tried to show the version from back then to kids today they would be bored and uninterested. Ever try watch an Ireland soccer match from Italia 90?

The show has moved on, hell the world has moved on. Rather than ruin your own night stewing in a rage for the way things were maybe certain users could try and “source” a copy of a show from the late 80’s and enjoy a trip down memory lane.

When I was a kid I watched the show but it wasn’t a massive “deal” for us. These days it’s huge, my kids look forward to it, and enjoy it, and because they’d have black kids, or other kids of colour, in their class in school, they aren’t shocked, or offended, when they see one on the screen.

Personally, I’d like to see the show in December. It’s a tad too early, for me, and the tree doesn’t go up that early here. Still, looking forward to watching with the kids and appreciating the massive “production” the show has become.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

When tubridy started doing the toy show, he was very snobbish about it...wouldnt even wear the jumper...thought it was beneath him

I think you're gaslighting yourself a little bit there. Pat wouldn't wear the jumper for years, and I distinctly remember Ryan talking about bringing back the jumper, one for everyone in the audience and so on and so forth, when he took over.

I also used to listen to Ryan in the early 2000s on his radio programme and he always used to bang on about Willy Wonka and all that even before he was on The Late Late. He definitely hasn't been groomed by some cigar munching impresario to pretend he likes playing with kids, and eating Jelly Beans.

I think a lot of people want the modern-day Toy Show to be some sort of shrine to the Gay Byrne era when a modern day kid wouldn't have a bull's notion of who he was. Kids nowadays probably wouldn't even know who Dustin is anymore, would they? I suspect most of these commentators are childless themselves, or their own children have already grown up. They don't seem to have any understanding of what modern day Irish children actually want, or look like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement