Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best strategy RWC 2023 - France in a Campervan (total newbie)

Options
  • 06-09-2022 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

This time next year (Fri 8th Sept 2023) the Rugby World Cup kicks off in France. I have bought family tickets (2&2) for the 4 pool games and the quarter final. The first two pool games are in Bordeaux and Nantes. The remaining games are in Paris.

My plan is to get a campervan for the first two games 09th Sept & 16 Sept and travel around France in between.

I havent done this before so not sure what would be the best option:

a. hire a campervan from an irish company and bring to france on the ferry for the week and go to the first two games returning after 2nd game

OR

b. fly to france and hire a campervan from a French company in france for that week. (Alternative is take the boat instead of fly)

What would be the best option or any other options would be welcome?

Re the Paris games I don't have a plan yet but most likely will try and find accommodation for those games but wouldn't rule out campervan either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A few things...

I doubt hiring in Ireland will be an option, maybe Bunk Campers because they already operate outside Ireland so might not be a blanket computer says no that's typical of Irish companies.

Hiring in France could be tricky if you don't already have a booking. It'll be very high demand and a lot of travel agents have block booked vans. You really need to get moving on the booking.

Now we're past the negativity, France is really well setup for campers. Taking your time along the west coast between Bordeaux and Nantes between the first 2 games will be well worth your time. If you like oysters, make sure to visit Ile d'Oleron.

I have the match tickets sorted myself, just need to work out the time off work / remote working.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭IBrows89

We did this for the euro's in France 10 years ago. We rented the camper in Germany and drove it across the border. The price in Germany was so much cheaper. I can't remember exactly where but it could be worth checking.

The camper worked incredible for the group of 5 of us. We used campsites every 3 days and camped at free parking places the rest of the time. Frances camper system is set up so well, most big shops have specific parking for campers and stuff. There's apps like park4night that show all the places but there's also a system called France passion, it's 30 euro membership for the year but you get to park for free at lots of various vineyards, farms or restaurants for free (not obliged to spend money with them). We found it incredible in our family trip last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

Nephew rented a van from Frankfurt for the last RWC for the same reasons as IBrows89 says. France is probably the best place in the world to do the motorhome thing. Park4night is the way to go for places to stay.

For the Paris games, you can park up in Versailles and take the train into the the big smoke. Or use the camping in the Bois de Boulogne ( expensive )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

We're booked at https://www.sandaya.fr/nos-campings/paris-maisons-laffitte for the Ireland Scotland Match and back there for the Quater's/Semi's & Final in October. A great campsite on the banks of the River Seine with the RER close by which will take you directly into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2telet%E2%80%93Les_Halles

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I've booked all of Irelands group games and some other group games so me and the Mrs are planning a month in France travelling in our van.

Have so far just booked ferries and a hotel in Paris for the Scotland game (we are at a games in the south immediately before and after so to fit this game in we are just doing an overnight in Paris) - I bit the bullet and booked Bois de Boulogne for the weekend of South African game as we will have to do a bit of work occasionally so will need stable power and wifi

I'm a bit more relaxed about some of the others - I looked at Bordeaux for the first weekend and because Wales are also in town everything looks super busy so that's the one I am a bit more worried about. Not sure if anyone has any experience of staying in and around Bordeaux or getting to/from the stadium by public transport. We are both the games that weekend. I have the Park4night app so will keep an eye on that. Have registered for France passion too, thanks IBrows89 for that suggestion.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

Camping Village du lac is a nice place just outside Bordeaux. City centre is 15 mins by bus/train from outside the entrance. It is on a small lake/pond and quite pretty. We’d not normally be campsite people but this was worth the few quid. Was recommended by Motorhoming friends who are from bordeaux. Only snag is the last train is fairly early on so need a taxi if returning at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bq67ie

Bought a campervan specifically for RWC23 and going to sell it shortly after. Rental didn't seem worth it. Will resell for more or less the same price. In debt up to me oxters for now but will be worth it :)

Sailing in to Bilbao and driving up to Bordeaux, handier than driving down from Cherbourg and was cheaper at the time.

Going to get a 5G wifi dongle and a pay as you go 5g sim out there, should be grand I think.

Using park4night and campercontact for parking spots. Seems to have plenty of options....

For the Bordeaux game, just gonna park at IKEA. Will only be there 2 nights so should be grand. Will head up to Nantes then using that linked site for ideas. Have a campsite booked in Nantes, and also Paris. Going to stay out of "match cities" apart from a day or so in the lead up to each match, so should have heaps of parking options. France is properly set up for this.

This will be my first proper trip in the van but have done a lot of reading up, so happy to share whatever I've picked up along the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

What did you buy?

The CampingCarpark at Petit Port in Nantes is now available to book up to Sunday 17th September

https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/stay/stopover-site-motorhome/pays-de-la-loire/44-loire-atlantique/nantes-petit-port#0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Essielo

Hi there we are renting a campervan in Ireland and taking ferry over for the first 3 weeks of the tournament. Who have ye got insurance with for breakdown assist/repatriation? Campervan company said we have to sort that ourselves but seems to be limited insurance companies doing it?Any advice would be very welcome!thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

First question is how big is it? If its something like a VW California or similar, chances are you may be able to cover it under a normal "car" breakdown policy. If its a more traditional design, it could be too high / heavy / long for a car breakdown policy. I would guess that most of the owners of larger units just take the breakdown policy that comes with their annual camper insurance policy but that would not be an option in your case.

Repatriation could be an issue - not all breakdown policies would cover it. And another thing to bear in mind - if the van breaks down at the end of the holiday and is taken to a garage as it can be repaired, though it may take a few days and you miss your ferry, can you afford to hang around / return to bring the van back.

Finally, if the van breaks down and is delayed beyond the original return date due to an extended repair time or waiting for a suitable vehicle for moving are you liable for additional rental charge?

If the rental company rents vehicles for use in foreign countries it's their responsibility to provide for breakdown and recovery/repatriation of the vehicle if sh1t happens. They charge enough.

If it's less than 3.5T and under a certain length, a standard aa policy should cover you although I've heard they're not coving EU trips for new customers in vehicles over 10 years old

Its quite a large camper Length: 7.20 m, Height: 2.9 m but pretty new as in not over 10 yrs old maybe 1 -2yrs old. Rental Co cover breakdown in Ireland alright guess not abroad and defo not repatriation. I will check with the AA cheers for the replies!

As you wouldn't be the registered owner of the vehicle you will need to have a letter of authorisation from the owner to take the vehicle out of the country of registration plus a copy of the vehicle Registration Certificate (log book in old money). You can be asked for such documents by the police at any checkpoint or if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an incident/accident.

This has flown up on me!

Have yet to organise anything in terms of the French driving and emission labelling rules and also want to sort out reliable mobile internet for remote working.

Anyone any guidance?

For the emissions sticker go here https://entreprendre.service-public.fr/vosdroits/R44284?lang=en

Driving rules in France are more or less the same as here. Speed limits are rigorously enforced and any fines will follow you home.

When entering/leaving a town/village there are no 50km/h speed limit signs. The 50km/h applies from the sign with the town/village name and continues until you see the town/village name sign with a red bar diagonally across it. However, there may be a lower limit, like 30km/h or 20km/h within the town/village and this is indicated by the type of sign we use here.

Mobile data is good, just watch out for a limit cap on data while roaming, the only company that has no limits while roaming in Europe is Vodafone.

Ensure you take the vehicle Registration Certificate, A valid Insurance Certificate, and current CVRT Certificate with you, and also, if you are not the vehicle's registered owner, a letter of authorisation from the owner permitting you to take the vehicle outside its country of registration.

Subscribe to https://www.campercontact.com/en and https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/info/how-does-it-work

Enjoy France, when God created Earth he made France a special place for motorhomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

Does any one have recommendations for campsites in Paris? Heading over in the camper for the Scotland game the more central the better!

Two main options are

and

The latter is further out but more direct to city centre by public transport by day anyway, I'm booked in there.

CritAir 3 sticker or lower required for the first one to access or leave between 8am and 8pm, was supposed to be 2 or lower by now but that's postponed till 2025

• Advertisement

Got sorted with insurance with the AA in the end thanks for everyone's help! Next problem anyone in bordeaux know where to park up for game wkend?we have campsite booked for tonight but could not get the whole wkend. Do people think IKEA car park would be safe enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

Thinking the second option would be the best, one person who im travelling with has reservations about getting back after the match says it will be hard to get back out there. Any idea if any trains will be running late on the RER?

RER trains run, about every 15 minutes, from Stade de France to Chatelet Les Halles, 9 minutes (Line B), and from Chatelet Les Halles to Maisons-Laffitte, 22 minutes (Line A) until 12:30 am. Later in the night, there are also Bus, Metro, and Tram options, but they can all take over an hour and a half

Has anyone seen anywhere in Dublin selling wing mirror tricolours, window flags or anything like that? Want to tat the van up before hitting the road next week.

I've tried Mr Price - no joy.

Advertisement