Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Refusing to reset service light??

Options
  • 19-11-2022 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi all, got my car serviced about 3 weeks ago.

Total bill came to 900euro* which I was happy enough with, I knew a few bits needed to be done.

On collecting my car I noticed the service light was not reset so it still says service is overdue by however many days I'm past the service.

I asked the guy to reset it as I thought he just forgot to.

He said he couldn't do it with his phone but needed a computer to do it and said he'd call me when he brings it in.

A week passed no phone call so I rang up, he said he forgot and will bring it in the Monday, that was fine so I took a trip in Monday and he said he forgot it again and will call me when he's free.

Tried ringing again Friday and he said stop hassling him

I politely said all I wanted was the service light reset, its part of the service that I paid for, if you done it for me by now I wouldn't have to keep ringing, so now he's refusing to do it.

I tried ringing another place just to reset it for me and they said they can't because they didn't service the car which is fair.

But now I'm stuck, I want to trade my car in the new year and by then the service light will say my car hasn't been inspected in over 4 months and will most likely be over 10km since last service, which will most likely devalue my trade in

Anyone any ideas? Or no where I can get it turned off, the other guy has lost mu business for the future so he's not budging on doing it for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Probably a main dealer only available item.

Do you have the car manual?..or check youtube for your car make..you should find a video to help on there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

It's an audi a6 2017

Any videos I looked online all required me to buy something to plug into the car to reset it through an app

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

That’s rubbish. I get my car serviced by Duffy’s in Swords Pavilions. Excellent service. They even activated a countdown timer in days and kilometres to my next service.

Excellent crowd.

Anyone can reset a service light / timer, not just a main dealer.

Post edited by b v on

• Advertisement

My point is in the post that you quoted.

You said “it’s probably a dealer only option”.

I replied saying how it’s not a main dealer only thing.

Awaiting your reply.

It was a question, so hence an option. Guess I forgot the question mark.

Some independents don't have the correct tools to reset all the codes, but main dealers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭teediddlyeye

What part of the country are you in?

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

C7 A6 you should be able to reset service via the MMI/infotainment screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'd imagine you'll have to YouTube it, and, find a new mechanic.

With a mechanic with an attitude like what you've said, I'd invest in a Carly.

And move on to someone who uses more than a phone to reset lights.

It's car mechanics, not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭teediddlyeye

IIRC you can reset the oil service but not the inspection through the MMI.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭User1998

Anyone with a decent diagnostic computer will be able to do it. Only takes 5 minutes

And if you have an invoice for the service it won’t matter about the service reminder being overdue when you trade it in.

It still doesn’t invalidate my response nor does it raise any ambiguity. I still don’t know why you wanted me to validate or explain my “point”.

After all, I am in the motors forum. Use words of more than one syllable and people become confused and irritated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,313 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He clearly cannot do the reset. He has some neck to say stop hassling him after paying for the work and him not completing it satisfactorily.

Get quote from main dealer to have service light reset. That quote I'm sure will include a service as they are not in the business if resetting lights without doing the work.

Send off to small claims court and get a chunk of your money back.

SCC costs €25.

You’ll have to be guaranteed more than €25 to break even.

I'd risk the 25 quid to put things right with that mechanic.

You could easily see 300 back if he ignores it.

I'd also have his work reviewed to see that firstly the work billed for was actually done and secondly that it was done to an acceptable standard.

Post edited by mickdw on

The fact that you get your car serviced in Duffys, does not 'rubbish' my initial question/statement.

If it does, please explain.

If it doesn't ............................................. well, keep them there multi-syllables a-coming.

You said “it’s a dealer only thing”.

I said “it’s not, I had mine done by an Indy”.

You said “what’s your point”.

My point literally was that it’s not specifically a main dealer thing as I got mine done at an Indy. Is your brain in need of a full service?

I said - ''Probably a main dealer only available item'' to which I forgot to attach a question mark.

You said - ''That’s rubbish. I get my car serviced by Duffy’s in Swords Pavilions'' No mention of whether it is an independent or main dealer, so basically irrelevant.

And so it developed from there.

As for your last comment, well it just shows who really needs a full service.

Apologies OP for derailing your thread. I'm outta here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The oil service can be reset on the MMI

The inspection service cannot.

They can be reset by any mechanic with Diagnostic machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭User1998

SCC takes about a year to complete. It would be much easier to just find a nice mechanic who will reset the light. It literally takes 2 minutes.

OP, if you weren’t too far I could probably reset the light myself if all else fails.

I'm well aware of how it's done and have vcds myself to do all operation on my own Audi. That is beside the point. He paid a garage to service and repair. Service light reset is basic stuff for any garage. If he doesn't have the equipment, it says alot. I would be very afraid of quality of spares used and oil spec used also.

I'm sure someone near to the op will offer to do it for the price of a pint. Plenty other posters on here have gear to reset that.

I wouldn't be letting garage off the hook, hence my idea to go small claims route. Garage can then continue to ignore if they wish but it won't end well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've always done my own servicing, so paying €900 for it seems like absolute robbery to me, never mind not resetting the service light.

🙈🙉🙊

I'd get the work he claims to have done checked, and then go the Small Claims route. I wouldn't let him off the hook for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

2 minute job on vcds. If your near Wicklow drop me a pm and I can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭delboythedub

Google the engine Reset on Utube etc. I reset my old BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Hi folks, thank you for all the replies

I can only reset the oil level, not the service light

I'd rather not do small claims it's more hassle then it's worth I'm just looking for a light reset, happy to show the invoice to prove I got one but so far any other garage I ring won't do it because I didn't get a service with them

I live in Dublin so if anyone is in the Dublin area that's able to do it for me I'd happily meet yous and throw 20euro your way for saving me alot of bother with this particular mechanic, it's not much but I won't ask anyone to go out of there way either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Just ring around some indy in particular the one who do audis and see who will reset the light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Since he wasn’t beyond telling you to PFO maybe one last tactic with him is a text or letter threatening Small Claims and a one star Google review if he doesn’t sort it.

There used to be a consumer help show on Q102 for problems like this too. Not sure if that is still going though.

He must know someone in the trade who’ll lend him the tool for an hour to sort it. He just doesn’t want to.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement