Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

An post really are a great service. My postman goes the extra mile, He's sound. Some of these couriers don't give a damn. Some will leave packages out in the rain and drive off.

People's experience of An Post and couriers can vary hugely depending on the postman and drivers in their area. My postman does the leave package outside door, ring doorbell and run away routine. So do Fastway (no surprise there). The current DPD driver is pretty good and actually collects signatures if required. The UPS driver in my area is very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It is obviously down to individuals but with An Post I have found the postmen in rural areas to be really good. Because the couriers have to go out of their way to make rural drops (one delivery to me could take at least half an hour for a courier) they are more likely to find an excuse to not bother. The postman passes by the door 5 days a week.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Famous Blue Raincoat

I bought items on Amazon.co.uk for £367.60. Free postage and packaging to Ireland but: "Import Fees Deposit £101.28"on top of it.

That's a hefty added cost of buying with Amazon.co.uk. The main product was £262 on Amazon.co.uk (free p &p to Ireland), and the comparable price on Amazon.de was €376 (plus €16 p &p to Ireland). So, shopping in another EU country's Amazon was not cheaper than going to Amazon.co.uk.

Could anybody explain what this "Import Fees Deposit" is? Assuming it is related to the fact that the UK is no longer in the EU, why, logically speaking, does buying from Amazon in another EU country not mean the product is £101.28 cheaper there?

To make any sense of it you'll have to say what the item is.

There are always loads of questions about tax, import costs or delivery here and very little of them actually say what the item is. It would make it far easier to answer if people would actually name the items. Otherwise it's just guesswork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Post up a link to the item

Also comparing £ with € is not like-for-like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Have a faulty fit band bought at Amazon,De. Has battery, anPost won't take it.

Must happen to others as well. So what have we done? I'm not up for calling courier companies, finding one that will do it, waiting for them to show, paying, and then the refund from Amazon.

I have a return label, that says Amazonska, Sered SK" Town in Slovakia.

Nice one Bezos😤

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Going through this right now - laptop which did not match seller description. n Post won't take it because of the battery - they say airport handlers will not take it.

3 hours online with Amazon Cust Care chat got me (a) an updated returned address in Wales rather than Scotland and (b) after explaining the issue again for the umpteenth time an email copy of what I was told was a "universal return label" which was the same as the original one I got issued.

Parcel Monkey says they wont handle amazon returns from Eu due to customs issues.

Went through form filling online with DPD until they started to asks me about customs tariff types etc which I am not comfortable to answer.

Asked Amazon Customer Care about the Amazon Returns centre in Portlaoise - they had not heard of it. Is that no longer a thing?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post Portlaoise was like a staging area for returns, which were then sent to Scotland when there was enough to fill a truck. With Amazon using An Post less and less, they probably don't rely on them for the returns any more. This is also a big problem returning anything with batteries to Amazon.de

@whiterebel @RTM@RT@rtmie yeah, I did change the return label address to Amazon,Portlaoise Mail Centre, but thought it would either end up in the bin or back with me. My fit band is only €40 worth, and have been told a replacement is on the way. A laptop return would be a real pain. Have bought several phones from Amazon Spain & Germany. Been lucky up to now. Amazon if interested, will need an opointed courier in Ireland and not putting each and every unsatisfied customer through this sh1t when something with a battery needs to be returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

never mind, got it sorted

Post edited by zell12 on

Strange one today waiting for an Amazon delivery (delivered by Amazon). I checked my tracking at around midday today and it said I was 7 stops away, checked a few minutes later and it was down to 2 stops away. Waited a few minutes waiting for it to be delivered and nothing came. Checked the tracking again and it's just back to "arriving today" but doesn't have the map with how many stops to go. It definitely wasn't delivered anywhere else because I would get a delivery email. Has this ever happened to anyone else and the package still arrived the same day? Thanks

Update on the above. Got a delivered email and the package is nowhere to be seen. Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Happened to me last week (See posts earlier in thread)

I checked a number of neighbours houses and another house in the next estate with the same road as mine. No joy.

Amazon sent a replacement which did arrive on Thursday.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I got onto support and the girl said there was a delay in dispatch and it will arrive Tuesday. First I tried to explain how was there a delay in dispatch when the driver was literally 30 seconds away from my house this morning with the package and it said I was the next stop. Also I tried to ask why it would take so long to arrive (on Tuesday) when the tracking showed all the steps that it had gotten to Dublin (Manchester - Swords - Dublin fulfilment centre - out for delivery) so it definitely wasn't a delay in being dispatched, the item was dispatched as normal and was in Dublin. I got in touch around 10 mins after I got the delivered email so could they not have gotten in touch with the delivery driver to ask what he did with the delivery? Also if I make the exact same order on Amazon right now it says the items would arrive on Monday so why Tuesday?

Any way I wasn't getting anywhere with it so just going to wait and hopefully it arrives on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭EarWig

That happened to me once. The driver couldn't find the address. Just like you I could follow it stop by stop on the map getting closer, and then it switches to Arriving Today.

In my case, I got it an hour later. So, I reckon the driver later asked for directions and found the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do Amazon returns no longer have a slip that the returner must insert inside the parcel? Last time I sent something back there was an instruction to put part of the printed out return label inside the package. Is this no longer the case - doesn't look like it, but just want to know before shipping it back.

TIA.

Amazon returns that have battery.

This sh1t has to stop. Any unlucky Irish customer with a return becomes an unpaid Amazon employee, wasting his/her time finding a quality courier that will do the job. Have bought a few mobiles from them and would hope to do so in future.

Maybe Amazon together with serious courier companies DPD,DHL there may be other could streamline the process.

Ireland is a tiny customer base, but this sh1t is insulting, IMHO😤

Just a last update on this. I emailed them yesterday asking for a refund instead of sending a replacement because the order was for a Fire HD tablet that was on sale for black Friday and I can go get it in Argos for the same price (and I need it this week for a birthday). They issued the refund and put £20 on my account for the inconvenience.

Can't complain with the refund and the £20 but would love to know what actually happened and why it was marked as delivered. Kind of makes me weary of ordering anything again soon because if the same happens they'll think I'm taking the piss if it's marked as delivered again and I say it never arrived.

You are always going to get your money back so don't worry about ordering from Amazon. Just don't 100% rely on delivery or delivery dates.

Edit> Have one that should have been here today with AnPost. It went to the wrong sorting center so will now take another day probably two to arrive.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Why can't I still order Duracell CR2032 batteries from Amazon now that we have an Irish fulfillment center?

They surely stock one of the most basic/widely used products on Earth.

In fact every single item I ordered since the opening of our fulfillment center came from abroad still (UK/France). ...and I ordered a lot of different items.

What do we stock here then? I'm struggling to imagine they don't stock anything I ever buy. ...now this CR2032 case made it especially suspicious this center doesn't work yet.

Did anyone here get anything delivered from Ireland? Is there any way to filter for our local fulfillment center in search please?

Thank you.

Not the first and I doubt the last to ask that question.

Still no powerbanks whatsoever available to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Not sure why but it is annoying, same with camera batteries and power banks, I had hoped they might finally start delivering some of these when the Irish fulfilment centre opened.

Seems it may be related to the materials used, lithium stuff seems to be a no but alkaline based are deliverable. It may be due to courier restrictions but with their own fulfilment centre and delivery drivers in Ireland you would think they could get around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Mod: <snip>. Please see the forum charter regarding avoiding customs.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

What’s story with Amazon, do they charge at source or will I still get a customs bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it depends. if sold by amazon or fulfilled by amazon then it is done at source. otherwise it is pot luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Damn, I forgot to say my second home in the north to which I will be bringing the goods and where they will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am just ordering a hedge cutter with a 18 volt Li battery & no delivery problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There are some items with a battery included that they will ship but I think that is an oversight on their part.

• Advertisement

It's not an oversight. Items that contain lithium batteries within them are treated differently to batteries or power banks.

Advertisement